Felon with stolen gun gets I-bond

Sweeper13

I live a few blocks from where he was arrested. Then just to give him an I - bond. WOW

Got this from SCC.

http://www.cookcountysheriff.org/press_page/press_%20UUWHillside_11_05_2017.html

Sheriff Dart reminds the public that the defendant is presumed innocent until proven guilty by the government in a court of law.

Unless you're applying for a CCL in Cook county, then you're guilty from the start!

Further investigation found that Withers, a Hillside resident, has a previous felony conviction and does not have a Firearm Owner’s Identification (FOID) card or Concealed Carry permit

Naturally he doesn't have a FOID or FCCL. He is a felon...but he was back on the street and caught with a gun.How could this be? We're tough on gun crimes!

Withers was taken into custody and charged with aggravated unlawful use of a weapon, a class 2 felony.

Right.

During a bond court appearance on Saturday, Withers received an I-bond and was released on his own recognizance.

There's that tough on gun crime thing again. At what point does the judge just decide that this guy is a repeat offender and is a danger to others? This is insane.

At what point does the judge just decide that this guy is a repeat offender and is a danger to others ?

Well history has shown that felons will repeatedly be given a slap on the wrist until they actually murder someone, at which point they'll receive a sentence that is commensurate with the amount of press coverage the crime gets.

I've said before that the NRA should follow the very successful model that MAD created - having members sit in the courtroom of the judge when they're making these horrible decisions and call them out publicly on it.

Illinois judges have absolutely failed the citizens, they have proven themselves corrupt, inept, untrustworthy and not deserving of being granted the responsibility of judicial discretion.

Naturally he doesn't have a FOID or FCCL. He is a felon...

When the FOID card program was first started, the Chicago Tribune submitted an application for John Dillinger. In addition, they used the address of the Terra Haute prison that he escaped from (on the pre-printed form, they had to white-out the state of Illinois and write in Indiana).

It was approved.

Well history has shown that felons will repeatedly be given a slap on the wrist until they actually murder someone, at which point they'll receive a sentence that is commensurate with the amount of press coverage the crime gets.

One of the longest trials in California history was over the two punks who killed a cop in an onion field. On March 9th, 1963, police officer Ian Campbell was murdered in an onion field by Jimmy Lee Smith and Gregory Powell. The "Onion Field" murder was front page, movie material stuff.

(Trivia alert: a young Ted Danson played Ian Campbell in the movie.)

On September 4, 1963, both were convicted; and on September 12, 1963, both were sentenced to death for the cold-blooded, execution style killing of an on-duty, uniformed, police officer. Let me repeat that -- the cold-blooded, execution style killing of an on-duty, uniformed, police officer.

In July 1967, their convictions were voided because of Miranda. The retrials started in January of 1968 and ended in November 1969 (and you thought OJ was something). Smith got life; Powell got death.

Jimmy Lee Smith, one of the convicted killers, originally sentenced to death in the gas chamber, was paroled on February 24, 1982 -- less than 21 years for the cold-blooded, execution style killing of an on-duty, uniformed, police officer.

While 21 years is not a slap on the wrist, it is trivial for the crime -- a crime that that was made into a movie.

A previous 1) felon who is caught illegally carrying a 2) gun, which was 3) stolen, is released on his own recognizance!

"Sheriff Dart reminds the public that the defendant is presumed innocent until proven guilty by the government in a court of law."

Since when does paying bond mean you are guilty? If that was so, nobody should pay bond who pleads not guilty.

And Wayne just wants felon even legally carrying a gun jailed? This article "says it all" regarding Chicago killings.

https://www.nratv.com/series/wayne-lapierre/episode/wayne-lapierre-season-1-episode-1-how-to-stop-violent-crime

A previous 1) felon who is caught illegally carrying a 2) gun, which was 3) stolen, is released on his own recognizance!

"Sheriff Dart reminds the public that the defendant is presumed innocent until proven guilty by the government in a court of law."

Since when does paying bond mean you are guilty? If that was so, nobody should pay bond who pleads not guilty.

And Wayne just wants felon even legally carrying a gun jailed? This article "says it all" regarding Chicago killings.

https://www.nratv.com/series/wayne-lapierre/episode/wayne-lapierre-season-1-episode-1-how-to-stop-violent-crime

I'm not sure I follow what you are saying at all. Jovantae Withers is a twice convicted felon with quite the rap sheet for a 23 year old. The gun he was carrying was stolen. Is he guilty? That will be decided in court but this thug is never going have a FOID or CCL. This isn't a guy who made one small mistake and goes through the process of having his conviction expunged. At 23 this guy is already a career criminal. He should have NEVER been given an I-bond, AAMOF he should have had a bond that kept him in jail until trial.

I really don't understand "And Wayne just wants felon even legally carrying a gun jailed?"

This guy was far from legally carrying, this is the kind of guy that our tax dollars are going to go for because eventually he is going to be incarcerated for life.

I'm sure he pleaded not guilty but his bond should have been $500,000. Don't pay it and sit, you will have your day in court.

Then you will get ANOTHER felony conviction or two.

You want to know why this guy got an I-bond? Likely because at his bond hearing he ratted out the guy he bought the stolen gun from. Say like someone on this forum who had their house broken into when they were out or quite possibly somebody in Elmhurst.

I think I agree with you. If this guy got the opportunity to post bond, it should have been extremely high.

Wayne was assuming most gangbangers would be felons carrying guns when arrested for other things. He wanted each of them jailed as an answer to high number of killings. In my opinion, this guy had 1 strike before arrest and a probable 2 strikes after arrest. So he well exceeded the criteria Wayne called out (arresting a felon carrying a gun) for jailing this felon.

I disagreed with Sheriff Dart reminding the public that the defendant is presumed innocent until proven guilty to justify this felon getting released on his own recognizance. Bond has nothing to do with innocent or guilty. Lots of innocent people pay bond to get out of jail before they receive their due process.

They slapped some scumbag here on the wrist for firing a sawed off shotgun at cars while he stood in his lawn. Another guy got caught with a stolen gun with a defaced serial number, felon in possession, and about nine other offenses. Guess what he walked away with? One count of AUUW. Rest of the charges, dropped. Not picked up by the US Attorney for the Central District of Illinois (although we did have a meth case and one gun case picked up by the USA).

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

When the FOID card program was first started, the Chicago Tribune submitted an application for John Dillinger. In addition, they used the address of the Terra Haute prison that he escaped from (on the pre-printed form, they had to white-out the state of Illinois and write in Indiana).

It was approved.

I remember that story, but I think it was the Daily News that did it some time in the late 1970s, because that's when I first started reading the newspaper daily and that's the one my parents subscribed to. Even then I thought "of course Dillinger got his FOIOD, it can't be that John Dillinger because he's long dead" lol.

It was approved.

I remember that story, but I think it was the Daily News that did it some time in the late 1970s, because that's when I first started reading the newspaper daily and that's the one my parents subscribed to. Even then I thought "of course Dillinger got his FOIOD, it can't be that John Dillinger because he's long dead" lol.

I know that in the late '70s, the Sun-Times apparently got one issued in Dillinger's name, even using his photo from the FBI as his picture for the card. That would be on microfiche somewhere, unless it has been digitized and uploaded in their archives.

Here is a mention of it in a 2013 document . . .

NSAA Excellence in Accountability Award Winner - IL - nasact

MANAGEMENT AUDIT OF THE DEPARTMENT OF STATE POLICE’S ADMINISTRATION OF THE FIREARM OWNER’S IDENTIFICATION CARD ACT

. . . which includes the following:

Illinois’ system of background checks hasn’t improved sufficiently since Sun-Times reporters in the 1970s got an Illinois Firearm Owner’s Identification Card for John Dillinger simply by filling out a form and submitting Dillinger’s photo.

Archived