Still waiting on foid card

Right click on the words "under review" and click inspect element. It will tell you what your under review status is, whether submitted, qc verified, or approved.

Ah ty - I thought they meant using the ISP transfer site to see if it was valid using the number listed on the status page. Mine came up denied there for a transfer. Will check out the status page on my laptop.

Would submitting fingerprints be beneficial for speeding up my FOID application or just for a CCL?

It would be of no benefit. They would probably be ignored, or if processed would add to the delay. The FOID act only addresses fingerprints in regard to those who, for religious purposes, do not want to submit a picture.

“ (a-20 ) Each applicant for a Firearm Owner's Identification Card shall furnish to the Department of State Police his or her photograph. An applicant who is 21 years of age or older seeking a religious exemption to the photograph requirement must furnish with the application an approved copy of United States Department of the Treasury Internal Revenue Service Form 4029. In lieu of a photograph, an applicant regardless of age seeking a religious exemption to the photograph requirement shall submit fingerprints on a form and manner prescribed by the Department with his or her application”.

“ (c-5 ) If a person qualifies for a photograph exemption, in lieu of a photograph, the Firearm Owner's Identification Card shall contain a copy of the card holder's fingerprints. Each Firearm Owner's Identification Card described in this subsection (c-5) must have printed on it the following: "This card is only valid for firearm purchases through a federally licensed firearms dealer when presented with photographic identification, as prescribed by 18 U.S.C. 922(t)(1)©."

(Source: P.A. 97-1131, eff. 1-1-13.)”

Edited by Quiet Observer

• 3 weeks later...

Call your local rep if it's past the 30 day mark. Mine was sitting at QC verified as of few days ago after nothing for nearly a month. Hit 32 days today and called my rep. Card is now active.

I called the ISP last week and they said they're really backed up and it would be a few weeks more. Sorry Charlie but the law says 30 days shall issue or deny.

I'm lucky enough that my reps are pro 2a. They weren't pleased they hadn't issued it yet let alone that they won't repeal the FOID act.

Edited by Cerus

I'm in a similar boat. I did a change of address January 5th. The computer system was out of whack, so I did it over the phone. Lady informed me that my old one was still valid (for many more years) and my new one should take about a month. I didn't check the site for a while while I waited. She mentioned that while my old one was valid, I would not be able to purchase a gun until the new one arrived. I figured that it was because the shops would make sure the address on the card and my DL matched. Correct or not, it turns out that there is more to that story.

I wanted to buy something face to face, so I went on the ISP site and ran myself to see what would happen. It came back denied. I have no criminal record whatsoever, and I'm routinely background checked for work.

I logged in to see my account and it said I was active. Then I noticed that they had issued me a new FOID number as well. I ran that one, and it said approved right away.

I can't make my purchase, because I know if I was a seller I would have my senses tingling with all this. I would pass on the deal as a seller, I won't expect someone to do something that might be fishy for me.

Now, I got a letter from the ISP. Card, right? No, a letter saying my card would be coming.

So, they are spending double postage just to inform me that they didn't mail it yet.

Hopefully it gets here before the gun I want is sold to someone else.

Go buy the gun and have the shop hold it for you. Then run your background when you get the card and leave with the gun if its been more than 3 days.

I'd love to, but it's a private seller.

Could you make a screen shot of your portal showing that it is you and then have the seller run the new foid number showing on the portal?

I could log in right in front of him. It shows my new address, new number, etc, and it matches my drivers license. I just don't have the actual updated card with the new number. If I was a seller and I never met the guy before, I would not be comfortable with the sale. If it was someone I knew, I would be more at ease. As a buyer, I wouldn't expect the seller to do things I wouldn't do myself. I'm hoping the card arrives soon and I can do a nice by the book transaction.

• 2 weeks later...

I applied for my FOID card on 1/10. Card was marked Active online as of 2/9. I received the letter in the mail stating card was on its way but as of Saturday, 2/27, still no card. I called ISP on Friday, 2/26 and waited until someone picked-up. I finally got a REALLY nice woman on the phone. After explaining the situation she stated that she can only repeat what is in the letter that the FOID is on its way. I asked her to please help me understand with regard to when I might expect to receive the card. She told me that if I don't have it in another 2 WEEKS then I should call back and maybe they could share more information. She again was very nice and polite but I couldn't help but come away with the feeling that she knew more than she was letting on..... so I wait....

I applied for my FOID card on 1/10. Card was marked Active online as of 2/9. I received the letter in the mail stating card was on its way but as of Saturday, 2/27, still no card. I called ISP on Friday, 2/26 and waited until someone picked-up. I finally got a REALLY nice woman on the phone. After explaining the situation she stated that she can only repeat what is in the letter that the FOID is on its way. I asked her to please help me understand with regard to when I might expect to receive the card. She told me that if I don't have it in another 2 WEEKS then I should call back and maybe they could share more information. She again was very nice and polite but I couldn't help but come away with the feeling that she knew more than she was letting on..... so I wait....

So it went active on 2/9 correct

When did you receive the letter telling you it was on the way?

Did you keep the envelope? What date is the postmark?

Now as for the letter inside, what date is it lists as?

Lets assume they batch those letters and send them out before the actual card is released.

And then assume that they batch release the FOIDs at a later date, say a Friday afternoon!

In order to give the "Other" government screwup entity (USPS) the allowed time frame to figure out how to best mail it to you!

And given most if not all business org's I've dealt with in the past, if it doesn't show in 30 days, its considered lost and they will re-issue.

Good news is, they say it is done, you past the test, its on its way.

Bad news is, you'll have to start shopping for a handgun when it gets into your burning little hands.

Just about the time you throw your hands into the air and declare all things known to man to be against you, AND right after that second beer in the morning with the Cherrios, it will pop into your mail box and all will be good with the world again.

Does the ISP sent out preliminary letters on approved FOIDs to everyone? If so, that seems like a waste of time and of taxpayers money. The letters grant nothing. I do not mean to infer negative about tpadgett. This just the first time I have heard about this. I got my FOID several years ago.

Does the ISP sent out preliminary letters on approved FOIDs to everyone? If so, that seems like a waste of time and of taxpayers money. The letters grant nothing. I do not mean to infer negative about tpadgett. This just the first time I have heard about this. I got my FOID several years ago.

I also got a congratulatory letter a week after I went active. Still no card though. I haven't received any emails other than the initial submitted one.

I find it pretty ridiculous that they can't afford to send out vehicle registration notices anymore but can waste money sending out approved letters when it's all done online. An email is free and can be automated.

My internal response to the letter upon opening was "no **** Sherlock, how about just sending me my card instead" SMH

I also got a congratulatory letter a week after I went active. Still no card though. I haven't received any emails other than the initial submitted one.

I find it pretty ridiculous that they can't afford to send out vehicle registration notices anymore but can waste money sending out approved letters when it's all done online. An email is free and can be automated.

My internal response to the letter upon opening was "no **** Sherlock, how about just sending me my card instead" SMH

Ditto -- active 2/17; got letter last week; called yesterday and the ISP confirmed that the FOID is approved and that I am in queue for printing. Could not tell me when it would be printed. Advised me to call back in 1-2 weeks if I do not receive the card and, at that time, they might be able to give me more information as to status.

(430 ILCS 65/5) (from Ch. 38, par. 83-5)

Sec. 5. The Department of State Police shall either approve or deny all applications within 30 days from the date they are received, and every applicant found qualified under Section 8 of this Act by the Department shall be entitled to a Firearm Owner's Identification Card upon the payment of a $10 fee. Any applicant who is an active duty member of the Armed Forces of the United States, a member of the Illinois National Guard, or a member of the Reserve Forces of the United States is exempt from the application fee. $6 of each fee derived from the issuance of Firearm Owner's Identification Cards, or renewals thereof, shall be deposited in the Wildlife and Fish Fund in the State Treasury; $1 of the fee shall be deposited in the State Police Services Fund and $3 of the fee shall be deposited in the State Police Firearm Services Fund.

(Source: P.A. 98-63, eff. 7-9-13.)

I can't, and haven't been able to find a "Shall Issue" statement in the statute.

If anyone can point me into a link for the same I would greatly appreciate it!

The way I read the above bold text is ..... Once approved, they'll get it out to you when they get to it! But you are approved, so chillax.

If they have broken a law, wouldn't you be better served by filing a lawsuit? I picture an elected official blowing his coffee out his nose right after I hang up explaining to him that the ISP is in violation of a statute that's states the above!

JMHO, Please correct me if I'm wrong......

(430 ILCS 65/5) (from Ch. 38, par. 83-5)

Sec. 5. The Department of State Police shall either approve or deny all applications within 30 days from the date they are received, and every applicant found qualified under Section 8 of this Act by the Department shall be entitled to a Firearm Owner's Identification Card upon the payment of a $10 fee. Any applicant who is an active duty member of the Armed Forces of the United States, a member of the Illinois National Guard, or a member of the Reserve Forces of the United States is exempt from the application fee. $6 of each fee derived from the issuance of Firearm Owner's Identification Cards, or renewals thereof, shall be deposited in the Wildlife and Fish Fund in the State Treasury; $1 of the fee shall be deposited in the State Police Services Fund and $3 of the fee shall be deposited in the State Police Firearm Services Fund.

(Source: P.A. 98-63, eff. 7-9-13.)

I can't, and haven't been able to find a "Shall Issue" statement in the statute.

If anyone can point me into a link for the same I would greatly appreciate it!

The way I read the above bold text is ..... Once approved, they'll get it out to you when they get to it! But you are approved, so chillax.

If they have broken a law, wouldn't you be better served by filing a lawsuit? I picture an elected official blowing his coffee out his nose right after I hang up explaining to him that the ISP is in violation of a statute that's states the above!

JMHO, Please correct me if I'm wrong......

So you're in favor of the FOID act then?

My rep isn't. They wholeheartedly believe it's unnecessary and unconstitutional. With the money they're taking in these days there's no reason to drag it out like they do.

I paid my fee which means I'm "entitled to a card" and firearm ownership. The longer they drag it out the more my rights are being violated.

At no point did I state that I'm in favor of any law as written, anywhere!

And there's no reason to get mad, you posted elsewhere that following the law however wrong is what we do, yes?

And that last sentence shows, well it does, when you state that by paying a fee that you are then "entitled".......

And I'm posting the above to help those who are receiving incorrect info, not to blast anyone as I've now looked over my post and didn't see any names or quotes listed.

I asked for a correction to my assumption that "Shall Issue" isn't in the statute.

What I am in favor of is reading skills, and for those looking to get FOID's, CCL's etc to be able to have the best info out there.

This link will help those wishing to understand the FOID Act better:

http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs/ilcs3.asp?ActID=1657

At no point did I state that I'm in favor of any law as written, anywhere!

And there's no reason to get mad, you posted elsewhere that following the law however wrong is what we do, yes?

And that last sentence shows, well it does, when you state that by paying a fee that you are then "entitled".......

And I'm posting the above to help those who are receiving incorrect info, not to blast anyone as I've now looked over my post and didn't see any names or quotes listed.

I asked for a correction to my assumption that "Shall Issue" isn't in the statute.

What I am in favor of is reading skills, and for those looking to get FOID's, CCL's etc to be able to have the best info out there.

This link will help those wishing to understand the FOID Act better:

http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs/ilcs3.asp?ActID=1657

Not mad at all. Just saying there's absolutely nothing wrong with contacting your rep to give the ISP a kick in the pants. Mine went over the 30 day mark as have many others. And yes, I advocate following the laws we have. Which I am. I'm not in possession of any firearms or ammo. I just choose not to cut the ISP any slack on getting cards sent out in a timely manner. Just because they have 30 days and may or may not have to have them in hand by that day doesn't mean you can't involve your rep to speed things up.

I'm not sure what your point is on the entitled part. I was merely quoting what the law says.

On topic. I was chatting with an employee at a local range and he asked about my FOID card. Once I told him it's been two weeks since it went active he called the gal who approves all the cards. She said that they just sent out a big batch over the weekend and they should be arriving this week.