Buzzard

Scope Buyers Poll  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Which brand would you buy?

• Leupold
    • Vortex
    • Nightforce
    • Other

I'm taking this poll to ascertain which brand of scope is most appealing to the members here. For the purposes of this poll, we will be considering which brand you would purchase for a long distance, precision rifle application.

Thanks for participating.

Its less about the brand and more about the factory it came from. There's just a few places where scopes get made. LOW makes scopes for all these brands

Nightforce

Weaver

Bushnell

Vortex

Sightmark

Huskemaw

Sig

Trijicon

Athelon

That muddies the waters when trying to pick which one is best. Sure, some are built to higher or lower specifications for the brands, but the quality is pretty consistent. Best advice I can give us to say get behind the glass in the conditions you're going to be shooting. That's the only way to know if you are getting what you want.

I have scopes from Burris, Leupold, Trijicon,Weaver and Sig. Each does a different job, all are quality relative to what I paid, and there's German glass that's a little better than all of them for a lot more money.

I have Swaro, Lupy, IOR and have shot behind a bunch of Vortex. The answer is it depends. My Swaro was a full pound lighter then the Vortex which is why I went that way on my main 3gun rifle. Glass is awesome but I paid twice as much as the Vortex and it is not twice as good. Vortex is Japanese glass assembled in China but is very high quality and has lifetime warranty. I own a Lupy 1.25 to 4 for my backup 3gun rifle and it is very nice. All of them have great eye relief but the Swaro is about 1/4 inch better.

If you can afford really good glass get it. It pays off over time Vortex in my opinion offers the best bang for the buck really nice glass and good quality with a great warranty. The difference between that and my Swaro is just a bit more light at range and a big weight difference. Ior the glass is very nice but the reticule is a a bit busy.

My vote is for Vortex because the glass is clear on their higher priced versions, like the Razor HD's, and you can literally whip it on the ground, and on the off chance that it does break they'll fix or replace it no questions asked.

I've been using a Vortex Razor HD get 2 1-6 and it has been whipped into grounding barrels during 3 gun matches and the only time I lost zero is when my turrets were mysteriously spun from zero. Since they're covered turrets, someone must have unscrewed my turret and spun it. I noticed this because I kept missing long range targets, targets I should have easily hit. I went to the range and noticed that at 200 yards I wasn't even on paper, so I started aiming slightly high, low, left, right, and then saw I was way high and right. When I took the turret caps off I noticed that my elevation and windage were both off leading me to believe someone purposely screwed with the turrets. To rezero all I did was return both turrets to 0 and I was right on again. Not sure why anyone would purposely do that since I'm not exactly in the running for first place, but there's no way that they turned on their own because it takes more force to turn the turrets than slamming the rifle into barrels would cause.

But 3 years of abuse in 3 gun and it's still holding strong with some minor scratches on the housing.

Nightforce is great, but you're paying at least a grand more than what Vortex wants for a similarly spec'd scope. I'd rather spend that grand on ammo, reloading components, etc. Your dog could chew on your vortex scope and they'll fix or replace it.

From what I understand about Vortex, is that only their red dots and cheaper lines of scopes are made in China. I believe the upper tier like the Razors have the housings made in China, and the glass is made in Japan along with the internal gears. Both get sent back here for assembly. I'm not 100% on this but read about it from a sponsored Vortex shooter.

Archived