McConnell suggests Senate could look at assault weapons ban, background checks

howie

If what's gets passed and signed is the Manchin-Toomey bill, as it seems much more likely than HR8 to have sufficient support in the Senate... this could have been far worse. That contains none of the byzantine regulation of non-permanent sales/transfers. It only applies to "gun shows" with more than 75 firearms being sold, and to sales of firearms advertised on the Internet or in a "publication." It repeals the special treatment of handgun sales by out-of-state dealers. It also appears it would permit the use of the FOID (if issued within five years) in lieu of running a new background check and waiting for the clearance -- perhaps only for handguns though.

That is, if the original bill is passed verbatim. I'd expect Democrats to scream about it being woefully insufficient now. Perhaps the Senate can pull an Illinois, and amend HR8 to replace all text with Manchin-Toomey, and then go straight to conference.

Might have missed it but I dont see a current Manchin-Toomey BGC bill so it would start from scratch, right? ... while HR8 has already passed the House?

It appears very likely they will reintroduce the bill that got the 54 votes previously (50 Dem + I, and 4 Republicans), and that is the bill McConnell mentioned in the interview. In addition, Trump has apparently been in conversations with Toomey and Manchin. The far more Draconian HR8 as passed by the House will certainly get nowhere in the Senate. However, the left is already decrying the Manchin-Toomey bill, which was once hailed, as a watered down sell-out bill and demand the full HR8. If that keeps up, and there's no reason to doubt it will, nothing will pass.

That and McConnell isn't going to be inclined to play ball with the Dems at all when the wackos are outside his house, chanting, making veiled threats, and so on. Especially since the BLM member who made "that" comment recently met with one of the four wackadoos. These people are stupid. They kick and scream when they don't get what they want and that's what America sees. Petulant little brats.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

I just emailed my senators asking they add amendments to any UBC legislation that legalizes national reciprocity and eliminates GFZs. I pointed out UBCs would send the message that nobody has to worry about the gun owner because they're background checked. GFZs violate civil rights, and are akin to racist laws that prevented blacks from sitting at the counter at Woolworths. I think Mike Lee is the more likely senator to do this. We all know Romney is a lame duck. If done, we win either way.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Archived