intro to lever guns

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#31 atmosphere0284

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 440 posts

Posted Yesterday, 02:26 PM

I love lever guns, looking at them, shooting them. Call it an addiction.

Any Marlin .45-70 is a good choice. I'm not much for large loops, but they're great for hunting with gloves (I'm not a hunter). I prefer a straight grip for tradition's sake, but the trigger guard tends to whack your middle finger when you send that 405 grain slug down range. It's not a plink rifle, more something you can say you tolerate. It's easy to reload, and relatively cheap that way. The latest Marlins have cut rifling, which works better with cast bullets than the early microgroove versions.

.45-70 should feed very smoothly in a Marlin, almost controlled-feed smooth. If it is even a little rough, or scrapes the chamber on entry, it needs a little work. I found it helps to bevel the bottom edge of the extractor slightly, using a stone. This done, it was not necessary to bend the extractor. The original ejector is on the weak side, and the OEM trigger is gross. I replace both with https://www.wildwest...gger-happy-kit/. Instead of a rough, 6.5# pull, you get a crisp 2.5#-3.5#.without the floppy trigger effect of Marlin.

It's cheaper and more fun to shoot pistol-chambered lever guns. Marlin and Winchester (Japanese) are excellent choices for fit and finish. Rossi1872 copies look good on the outside, but are really rough inside, and that slide safety looks bad and is hard to operate. You get a 300 fps boost for .357 Mag or .44 Mag compared to a revolver. .357 Mag recoil is very soft, and .44 Mag is comparable to .30-30 at both ends up to about 125 yards (.30-30 caries further, but with less energy at 100 yards).

After sighting in two .45-70 rifles at the range, I had a bruise the size of an orange on my shoulder. Ten rounds is about as much fun as you need in one afternoon ;)

You know, I was looking at both the loop and pistol grip stock that when I was drooling over the 1895SBL and then I saw the 1895GS....man, that thing would be just about perfect if it had the full length tubular magazine. Why, Marlin? Why??????

70464_1895GS_Right.png?itok=j-la2Zng70478_1895SBL_Right.png?itok=4GKhYkPC

#32 atmosphere0284

• Members
  • 440 posts

Posted Yesterday, 02:50 PM

Lever guns in .44 mag are a blast to shoot, whether target/plinking, or hunting deer/hogs at reasonable distances.  If you want your Marlin lever gun to shoot and operate, get familiar with Wild West Guns in Anchorage AK.  I have a few Marlin bottom-shuckers and I have bought all of them from Wild West Guns with their triggers, and action modifications.  The .45-70 with Buffalo Bore 500 grain rounds will pretty much kill anything you will find on 4 legs.

and then this post comes along and has me wanting this.....

0121171420-1.jpg

#33 atmosphere0284

• Members
  • 440 posts

Posted Yesterday, 02:52 PM

i just want one of everything..... :cry:

#34 DD123

Freedom Lover

• Supporting Members Team
  • 8,226 posts

Posted Yesterday, 05:03 PM

Whatever you decide to get, also familiarize yourself with Skinner Sights.  

Force and intimidation are the tools of tyrants.  - Ron Paul

If Democrats quit shooting people, "gun violence" would go down by 80%.......

Taxation is theft

"Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny" - Thomas Jefferson

#35 tkroenlein

OFFICIAL MEMBER

• Members
  • 8,285 posts

Posted Yesterday, 06:39 PM

I picked up a 30/30 about 3 or so years ago.  Great gun, doesn't recoil much, but the ballistics are terrible outside of 150 yards.  The round seems to run out of gas at that distance. 

The 30/30 and the pistol rounds may lead the re-introduction of centerfire rifle for taking deer in Illinois.
Legislation has been introduced several times in this regards, the short flight is taken into consideration.

Yeah...just need to defeat the elitist hunters that scream so loud when the bill comes up...

#36 tkroenlein

OFFICIAL MEMBER

• Members
  • 8,285 posts

Posted Yesterday, 06:43 PM

I love lever guns, looking at them, shooting them. Call it an addiction.

Any Marlin .45-70 is a good choice. I'm not much for large loops, but they're great for hunting with gloves (I'm not a hunter). I prefer a straight grip for tradition's sake, but the trigger guard tends to whack your middle finger when you send that 405 grain slug down range. It's not a plink rifle, more something you can say you tolerate. It's easy to reload, and relatively cheap that way. The latest Marlins have cut rifling, which works better with cast bullets than the early microgroove versions.

.45-70 should feed very smoothly in a Marlin, almost controlled-feed smooth. If it is even a little rough, or scrapes the chamber on entry, it needs a little work. I found it helps to bevel the bottom edge of the extractor slightly, using a stone. This done, it was not necessary to bend the extractor. The original ejector is on the weak side, and the OEM trigger is gross. I replace both with https://www.wildwest...ger-happy-kit/. Instead of a rough, 6.5# pull, you get a crisp 2.5#-3.5#.without the floppy trigger effect of Marlin.

It's cheaper and more fun to shoot pistol-chambered lever guns. Marlin and Winchester (Japanese) are excellent choices for fit and finish. Rossi1872 copies look good on the outside, but are really rough inside, and that slide safety looks bad and is hard to operate. You get a 300 fps boost for .357 Mag or .44 Mag compared to a revolver. .357 Mag recoil is very soft, and .44 Mag is comparable to .30-30 at both ends up to about 125 yards (.30-30 caries further, but with less energy at 100 yards).

After sighting in two .45-70 rifles at the range, I had a bruise the size of an orange on my shoulder. Ten rounds is about as much fun as you need in one afternoon ;)

You know, I was looking at both the loop and pistol grip stock that when I was drooling over the 1895SBL and then I saw the 1895GS....man, that thing would be just about perfect if it had the full length tubular magazine. Why, Marlin? Why??????

My pops has the GS. Even with the "cowboy" type loads, those 405 gr bullets will rang the heck out of steel plates. Quite a hoot.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users