I move out of state, where do I surrender my FOID and CCL?

I recently moved out of Chicago to a town in the Florida panhandle. I just obtained a Florida drivers license and already had a Florida CCL. I know I am supposed to surrender my Illinois CCL and FOID and spoke with a local neighbor who is a LEO here, I was told they would probably just shred it if I turned it in to them. I want to comply with Illinois laws, but I get the impression that other states could care less about what Illinois wants us to do when we leave the state. I could call ISP if I could mail it to them but don't want to sit on hold for a long time and don;t want to pay the money for a stamp. I know others have been through this and am curious as to how they complied.

I'm actually interested in this also. In 11 days, I will no longer be a resident of Illinois. I don't really care to give them a last bite at the apple to jam me up on some nonsense, but I sure as heck am not making a special trip back so that I may turn them in. Just a reminder for everyone that grew up in Illinois and don't know any different... My permission slip in the state I'm moving to? I'm not a prohibited person, so that is all the permission I need. The overwhelming majority of other states start from the assumption that you can own and possess firearms. Kind of jives with that whole innocent until proven guilty thing we are supposed to have going. I know the vast majority of members on Illinois Carry are opposed to the FOID, but I've been dumbfounded that there are actually supporters in this state. The only way I can rationalize it, is that some of you are like abused spouses or significant others. The state treats you OK once in awhile, but usually they don't. You don't know any different so in some weird way, you've come to believe it is your fault instead of realizing the state is messed up on this topic. If you'd look around, you'd see that most other states treat their citizens well. That's the way it is supposed to be. California, New Jersey, New York, Illinois... these states are like the scummy significant other that still manages to get a good partner, but then just abuses them. They will continue to until everyone stands up and says, "No more" by either voting the current politicians out of office or leaving and finding a better state to live in.

There is no requirement to mail the FOID to the Illinois State Police. Revoked cards are to by mailed to the ISP by the local law enforcement agencies to which the cards are surrendered. This process seems to apply to those remaining in Illinois, rather than those moving out of state. Unless you receive a notification from the ISP there is no requirement in the law to do anything. Do not waste your time or that of a non-Illinois law enforcement agency. Oh, and you do not need to surrender your old library card to your new library.

“(430 ILCS 65/9) (from Ch. 38, par. 83-9)

Sec. 9. Every person whose application for a Firearm Owner's Identification Card is denied, and every holder of such a Card whose Card is revoked or seized, shall receive a written notice from the Department of State Police stating specifically the grounds upon which his application has been denied or upon which his Identification Card has been revoked. The written notice shall include the requirements of Section 9.5 of this Act and the persons's right to administrative or judicial review under Section 10 and 11 of this Act. A copy of the written notice shall be provided to the sheriff and law enforcement agency where the person resides.

(Source: P.A. 97-1131, eff. 1-1-13; 98-63, eff. 7-9-13.)

Upon revocation of a person's Firearm Owner's Identification Card, the Department of State Police shall provide notice to the person and the person shall comply with Section 9.5 of this Act”.

“(430 ILCS 65/9.5)

Sec. 9.5. Revocation of Firearm Owner's Identification Card.

(a) A person who receives a revocation notice under Section 9 of this Act shall, within 48 hours of receiving notice of the revocation:

(1) surrender his or her Firearm Owner's Identification Card to the local law enforcement agency where the person resides. The local law enforcement agency shall provide the person a receipt and transmit the Firearm Owner's Identification Card to the Department of State Police;”

http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs/ilcs3.asp?ActID=1657&ChapterID=39

Teufel Hunden

You did hit the nail on the head with your previous post #9. I too saw fit to leave Illinois and moved to a free man's state. Gun laws were not my only motivator, but it was a contributing factor in my decision as to where to go. I personally believe Illinois is beyond salvage. Madigan and his cronies have had a death grip on the state for longer than I can imagine. But I believe Illinois has passed the tipping point. As more and more people like us leave the state, the voting block that sees things our way becomes smaller and smaller. Eventually they will just become an annoyance for the legislators with no real power to accomplish anything. So we never really had a chance to implement real change. My advice to anyone still residing in Illinois is to get the heck out while you still can get a fair price for your property. I did read somewhere that Illinois looses 8000 residents a month. Once the welfare rats take over, anyone with property or any assets will become a target for the money hungry state.

As to your other issue, disposition of CCW and FOID cards, I have retained them for life after Illinois. If they write me and request them, I would send them, but they are a bit of a reminder of bad times. Also, with the national reciprocity efforts currently under way, perhaps we will get relief from the feds and Madigan and his ilk can pound sand. It might not hurt to have the documentation if legislation of litigation comes to pass.

After moving out of state, I received a letter from the ISP threatening to issue a warrant for my arrest, if I didn't return my FOID and CCL. They revoked my FOID because I was no longer an Illinois resident, thus my CCL was also invalid. See the following:

http://illinoiscarry.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=63290&do=findComment&comment=1038810

After moving out of state, I received a letter from the ISP threatening to issue a warrant for my arrest, if I didn't return my FOID and CCL. They revoked my FOID because I was no longer an Illinois resident, thus my CCL was also invalid. See the following:

http://illinoiscarry.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=63290&do=findComment&comment=1038810

Considering the thousands of people who have moved out of Illinois many of whom probably had a FOID, you and the very few in the other thread are exceptions to the normal course of events. I think the advice to the OP to do nothing is still valid. I have not seen if you reported back in the other thread. I assume that a warrant has not been issued and that you have not been arrested when reentering Illinois for work.

Considering the thousands of people who have moved out of Illinois many of whom probably had a FOID, you and the very few in the other thread are exceptions to the normal course of events. I think the advice to the OP to do nothing is still valid. I have not seen if you reported back in the other thread. I assume that a warrant has not been issued and that you have not been arrested when reentering Illinois for work.

I returned both via mail, thus no warrant was issued (as far as I know).

There is no reason for the OP to NOT return both, to avoid the same issue and avoid a warrant being issued by ISP.

It hurts to read that thread. The state at times has been so broke it can't mail out reminders for plate renewals or emissions testing but has the resources to pull that crap?

I would think that you would want to keep them until you have clearly established that you are no longer an Illinois resident, such as getting a driver's license in your new state of residence. If you are not officially a resident of the new state, you remain an Illinois resident and are in possession of firearms and or ammunition in violation of Illinois law and your new state's law by not having a valid FOID card. Once you have established residency, then mail them certified to ISP. Consider the cost of the certified mail to be a going away tax, and think of all the future tax money you will be saving.

If you have not left the state yet, you may want to keep them until the day you head out. On your way out, leave them at the local sheriff's office or city PD. Otherwise, drop them in the mail to:

Illinois State Police

Firearm Services Bureau

801 S. 7th Street

Springfield, IL 62794

Is the ISP really issuing arrest warrants for out of state people who dont turn in cards that are going to come back invalid if they were checked / attempted to be used?

If so, was this included in the the actual intent of the legislstion or was it more for those committing a crime, getting protective order, etc and they just "enhanced" their interpretation?

Pardon the quick thread jack. Today, while driving to one of our daughter's for a Mother's Day celebration, we discussed moving out of Illinois. I really want to, but my wife never will. Grand kids are the reason, so I totally get it. Looks like I'm stuck in this state for the duration. LOL

Happy Mother's Day to all the IC mom's out there.

Sorry for the thread jack, carry on

If you have not left the state yet, you may want to keep them until the day you head out. On your way out, leave them at the local sheriff's office or city PD. Otherwise, drop them in the mail to:

Illinois State Police

Firearm Services Bureau

801 S. 7th Street

Springfield, IL 62794

Thanks Molly. I left the state on March 26th and have no desire to return anytime soon, but my kids still live there. I wonder if USPS will send it postage due if I put no return address and no stamp. :getlost: I hate to give them another penny but as Awan posted, I don't want the possibility of a threat hanging over my head.

Pardon the quick thread jack. Today, while driving to one of our daughter's for a Mother's Day celebration, we discussed moving out of Illinois. I really want to, but my wife never will. Grand kids are the reason, so I totally get it. Looks like I'm stuck in this state for the duration. LOL

Happy Mother's Day to all the IC mom's out there.

Sorry for the thread jack, carry on

I was in the same position but higher fees and higher taxes convinced my wife otherwise. Both of my daughters want to move to Florida now to be with me! One has shared custody with an Ex, but only 5 years until the youngest turns 18, they other works for the city and has 6 years until retirement.

Tell the wife that it is like the movie: If you build it, they will come!

Someone just has to start the moving.

Thanks Molly. I left the state on March 26th and have no desire to return anytime soon, but my kids still live there. I wonder if USPS will send it postage due if I put no return address and no stamp. :getlost: I hate to give them another penny but as Awan posted, I don't want the possibility of a threat hanging over my head.

The ISP will not accept a postage due letter. Government agencies have stopped doing that years ago. It gets too expensive to spend money for "clever" people who send tax payments, fines, fees, etc. with postage due. Without a return address it will go to the dead letter office. There will be no record of the ISP receiving your cards. I am still skeptical that not turning in the CCL and FOID will be a problem, but since you seem to have so much concern, it would seem that the $0.49 would be worth it.

You could have asked your question 3 or 4 months ago, but we all forgot something in the process of moving. Consider the $0.49 to be a [fingers SNAP!] tax.

The ISP will not accept a postage due letter. Government agencies have stopped doing that years ago. It gets too expensive to spend money for "clever" people who send tax payments, fines, fees, etc. with postage due. Without a return address it will go to the dead letter office. There will be no record of the ISP receiving your cards. I am still skeptical that not turning in the CCL and FOID will be a problem, but since you seem to have so much concern, it would seem that the $0.49 would be worth it.

You could have asked your question 3 or 4 months ago, but we all forgot something in the process of moving. Consider the $0.49 to be a [fingers SNAP!] tax.

The postage due was a sarcastic comment (I should have made it purple so it wasn't misunderstood).

3-4 months ago I still lived in Chicago and didn't even know I was moving! I made the final decision to move, sold my house and bought a new house all in the month of March and I wasn't surrendering my CCL until I knew I was out of there. I left Chicago the last week March and closed on my house here 3 days later. March was a very busy month for me.

It has taken me a month to get reasonably settled including a trip back to Chicago to move my furniture to Florida. Only after all of that did I get a chance to start taking care of the little things. (This really is a little thing but I did recall reading Awan's thread so wanted to ask.)

Seriously, two questions.

How would IL know you moved out of state?

And even if they did, what could this sad sack of a state realistically do about it? It is SO broke and incompetent. I wouldn't worry and actually I look forward to the day that I can taunt these morons to come and collect my unconstitutional FOID card and CCL.

Archived