Collapsible Batons

tommyd78

Previously discussed. Perhaps archived.

Perhaps a gray area depending on situation. Billy club is also used in other legislative wording as well.

https://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs/fulltext.asp?DocName=072000050K24-1

...(13) Carries or possesses on or about his or her person while in a building occupied by a unit of government, a billy club, other weapon of like character, or other instrument of like character intended for use as a weapon. For the purposes of this Section, "billy club" means a short stick or club commonly carried by police officers which is either telescopic or constructed of a solid piece of wood or other man-made material. ...

I've seen plenty for sale at gun shows.

Buy a monkey wrench and hide it in plan sight. If used drop in a bucket of bleach. Rinse and coat with WD-40. Nobody will steal it because it reminds them of manual labor. Why would collapsible batons be illegal for self defense anyway? Interesting thread.

They shouldn't be illegal, you can carry pepper spray here, Illinois is on a list of states that places won't ship batons to. But I did find someone who will.

Here in Michigan, I was considering carrying a collapsible baton in addition to my sidearm as a less lethal option. I then found a blurb in the law that I understood to say carrying them was verboten. When I contacted my rep to see what the intent of the law was, he would not render an opinion and suggested that I seek the advise of an attorney despite the fact the legislature wrote the law originally. I don't know why they are so scared of collapsible batons.

As with any weapon (and it is a weapon) you darn well better have the knowledge and mind set on how to use it.any thing can possibly be taken from you and used on you.Ive seen people beat on with batons and just keep coming.Most likely on drugs or something I dont know.Same way with a knife,brass knuckles etc.You would be suprised as to how many people dont know the proper way to wear brass knuckes & wind up breaking their hand.

I've not had the training in how to effectively use a baton, and at my age and condition I'm not sure I would benefit from such training at this time. I do carry pepper spray in addition to a firearm. The pepper spray might make sense in a less than clear case of needing to defend myself against a life threatening threat. Pepper spray might also be something to give me a moment more to either back up, draw my gun, or otherwise be more prepared to fully defend myself. Keeping a small spray container on my key chain means it is always in my pocket (always the left pocket since I often pocket carry my gun in my right pocket). I can have it ready in my left hand while I am reaching into my right pocket to draw my gun. That's my plan anyway.

I've not had the training in how to effectively use a baton, and at my age and condition I'm not sure I would benefit from such training at this time. I do carry pepper spray in addition to a firearm. The pepper spray might make sense in a less than clear case of needing to defend myself against a life threatening threat. Pepper spray might also be something to give me a moment more to either back up, draw my gun, or otherwise be more prepared to fully defend myself. Keeping a small spray container on my key chain means it is always in my pocket (always the left pocket since I often pocket carry my gun in my right pocket). I can have it ready in my left hand while I am reaching into my right pocket to draw my gun. That's my plan anyway.

I'm a fan of pepper spray as well. In my 'Refuse to be a Victim' seminars we go over various non-firearm defenses: the baton, stun guns, noise makers, and such, but my favorite is the pepper spray. With the spray you can keep your distance and make distance. In addition to the key ring I also carry a large can in the console just in case.

Archived