Photo

If Illinois became as anti-gun as NY, would you still stay?

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#31 domin8

• Members
  • 6,875 posts

Posted 25 June 2019 - 06:09 AM

A March poll from the university found that two-thirds of Illinois residents think the state is going in the wrong direction.

Yet they voted for democrats.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Hopefully all of the Dems stay in the mess that they have voted for, instead of polluting other states

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Word from Utah is they've been polluting other states. It use to be you'd see a lot of California license plates in Salt Lake City. Now it's Illinois. This was unsolicited info from my mother a few weeks ago.

As for me, I bought 40 acres in northwest Utah for $8,000 while living in Illinois. I was never an Illinois resident, and knew the military would move us out in a few, but being in Illinois motivated me to do it. I've continued to lease it out to the rancher who was leasing from the seller just to make a little money until I decide to do something with it. Ironically, after Chicago we went to Philadelphia. My wife loved Philly so much that she wants to go back when she retires, more specifically Lancaster, PA.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

#32 TRJ

The Original TRJ, Accept No Impostors

• Supporting Members Team
  • 8,609 posts

Posted 25 June 2019 - 06:36 AM

@domin8

You're screwed. Time to start forwarding every crime story about Philly to your wife to let her know that it's not safe. She's got to find some other location that meets her needs that isn't NYC, Chi, Phil, Boston, Seattle, DC, SF or LA. Something you can both agree on.

As for me, the pre-approval of funding for my escape cleared the bank yesterday. Going house shopping in a new freer state next week.

#33 Jeffrey

• Members
  • 5,503 posts

Posted 25 June 2019 - 07:06 AM

Unfortunately due to business I'll be here to turn out the lights.  Maybe when we see the dem politicians head for the hills, I'll wake up and GTFO.

...and justice for all

YOUR WALLET, the only place Democrats care to drill

#34 vito

• Members
  • 1,950 posts

Posted 25 June 2019 - 07:07 AM

A factor to consider when thinking about where to relocate to is the availability of quality healthcare services. You younger guys and gals might think that this is not a major issue, but I assure you that as you age it will become a major reality for you. An acquaintance of mine bought some really remote land and built a house on it in southern Montana when he first retired from flying for a major airline. He and his wife loved being where they were, about an hour's drive from the nearest supermarket, and about two hours from the nearest decent hospital. But as the years went on and medical issues started to arise they knew that they needed to be somewhere with quicker access for emergencies. For him it turned out it didn't matter, he died of a massive heart attack. His wife struggled to sell the ranch and finally did at a big loss, and moved to a suburb of Dallas to be near family and hospitals. Originally I had talked to my wife about rural Tennessee or Kentucky for the low cost of living, but with my own serious medical history I have to accept the reality that I can't be out in the country somewhere if I want to also be able to stay alive if I have some major episode of illness or injury. Right now I'm looking at the Janesville, WI area. Close to where I live in Rockford right now, close to a daughter living near Madison, it has a decent size hospital and medical community, and it seems the cost of housing is pretty moderate compared to actually moving to the Madison area. Now I just have to convince my wife that we need to sell while it is still possible to do so and not wait until literally no one wants to buy our house in Rockford. 

Retired U.S. Army and Veteran of the Vietnam conflict

NRA Life Member

Fully retired!

#35 Olddude1970

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 25 June 2019 - 07:19 AM

A factor to consider when thinking about where to relocate to is the availability of quality healthcare services. You younger guys and gals might think that this is not a major issue, but I assure you that as you age it will become a major reality for you. An acquaintance of mine bought some really remote land and built a house on it in southern Montana when he first retired from flying for a major airline. He and his wife loved being where they were, about an hour's drive from the nearest supermarket, and about two hours from the nearest decent hospital. But as the years went on and medical issues started to arise they knew that they needed to be somewhere with quicker access for emergencies. For him it turned out it didn't matter, he died of a massive heart attack. His wife struggled to sell the ranch and finally did at a big loss, and moved to a suburb of Dallas to be near family and hospitals. Originally I had talked to my wife about rural Tennessee or Kentucky for the low cost of living, but with my own serious medical history I have to accept the reality that I can't be out in the country somewhere if I want to also be able to stay alive if I have some major episode of illness or injury. Right now I'm looking at the Janesville, WI area. Close to where I live in Rockford right now, close to a daughter living near Madison, it has a decent size hospital and medical community, and it seems the cost of housing is pretty moderate compared to actually moving to the Madison area. Now I just have to convince my wife that we need to sell while it is still possible to do so and not wait until literally no one wants to buy our house in Rockford. 

Healthcare is part of my search parameters....how far to the nearest grocery store and hospital

I'm personally looking at nirthern AZ (snowflake, show low, seligman). Great weather, low taxes, and cheap property. Water might be an issue but I'll work around that.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

#36 jackinelgin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 492 posts

Posted 25 June 2019 - 07:32 AM

We just retired the end of May. Even bringing up the mere mention of relocating brings up the fireworks with my wife. All 6 grandkids are in Illinois. One family is 25 minutes away,the other 4 hours. i even brought up the idea of Indiana,halfway between the two. More fireworks. Looks like I'm in it for the long haul.

#37 evilbrownrifle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 25 June 2019 - 10:49 AM

We got started a bit later in life with the kids so I have to consider both healthcare access (which is important as I move through he 50s and beyond) and schools. We currently live in an area that is  excellent for both (at least on paper with the education). We can go from an "A" rated school system to a B+ rated system in the Silver Lake area and probably not lose much in the overall opportunity but improve on the values side in the community.

#38 domin8

• Members
  • 6,875 posts

Posted 25 June 2019 - 10:30 PM

@domin8
You're screwed. Time to start forwarding every crime story about Philly to your wife to let her know that it's not safe. She's got to find some other location that meets her needs that isn't NYC, Chi, Phil, Boston, Seattle, DC, SF or LA. Something you can both agree on.
As for me, the pre-approval of funding for my escape cleared the bank yesterday. Going house shopping in a new freer state next week.

We're familiar with Philly. We spent 2 years out there while she was working on her masters degree at the University of Pennsylvania. We've been through northeast Philly. I've taught firearms courses in south Philly. She had a six figure job offer from a hospital in Lancaster, but had to turn it down because she owed the Navy a minimum of 4 years. That 6 figures was $40k more than the national average for her profession. Lancaster is far enough west from Philly, and fairly rural, that crime isn't an issue. She also wants to go back to Penn and teach. If she retires from the Navy at 20 years, teaching at Penn means the kids with have access to free college at an Ivy League school, and excellent healthcare via CHOP. Since she and I would both be veterans we're pretty much screwed with healthcare via the VA. It doesn't matter where we go. The other option is Salt Lake City. The University of Utah only does 1/2 price tuition for family of professors, but Penn sends medical residents to Primary Children's Hospital and there's the Huntsman Cancer Institute (which my mother was recently a patient at for lung cancer).

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

#39 SiliconSorcerer

• Members
  • 2,655 posts

Posted 26 June 2019 - 09:54 AM

Laws are just deterrents 

You give peace a chance; I'll cover you if it doesn't work out.

NRA Benefactor Member

Gun Owners of America

Remington Society of America Life Member

Ruger Collectors Association Life Member

Texas Gun Collector Honorary Member

Colt Collectors Association Honorary Member

Ruger Society Honorary Member

etc etc etc

#40 heckler40

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 26 June 2019 - 12:07 PM

Doesn't matter.  We are leaving.

#41 DD123

Freedom Lover

• Members
  • 9,093 posts

Posted 26 June 2019 - 02:07 PM

In my 40 years in this state, Iâve never seen so many for sale signs. Everywhere you look someone is selling. The state could become more pro gun than Montana and that wouldnât be enough to make me stay. A bunch of mouth breathers wanted solid majorities of democrats and one as governor, and now thatâs exactly what theyâre getting, good and hard. Watch, when the progressive tax hits the ballot, people will overwhelmingly vote in favor. Then theyâll act surprised when a couple years down the road the democrats decide to lower the brackets so that taxes go up on the people who they sold the lie that taxes will only go up on the wealthy to. If you vote for democrats in Illinois, you truly are developmentally disabled.

Edited by DD123, 26 June 2019 - 02:08 PM.

Force and intimidation are the tools of tyrants.  - Ron Paul

If Democrats quit shooting people, "gun violence" would go down by 80%.......

Taxation is theft

"Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny" - Thomas Jefferson

#42 BobPistol

• Members
  • 8,998 posts

Posted 26 June 2019 - 06:37 PM

The disaster which is Illinois is what happens when the state government cares more about themselves and their cronies, than their constituents.

The Second Amendment of the Constitution protects the rest.

#43 Jaybird78

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 30 June 2019 - 04:27 PM

Just jumped ship and my IL house is supposed to close by July 26th.

Better schools for my kid.
Better laws for me.

Will still work 50% of time in IL

Wife has been fighting me for 10 years NOT to move because of her family. We are still the same distance from them.

#44 Flynn

• Members
  • 1,448 posts

Posted 30 June 2019 - 04:35 PM

At least as a non-resident you won't be paying IL income tax any longer, make sure to update those tax forms  :)

Anonymous leakers, leak anonymously about the anonymous leak.

—Anonymous

#45 vito

• Members
  • 1,950 posts

Posted 30 June 2019 - 04:49 PM

Many years ago when I left New York State and became a Texas resident, the New York tax people refused to accept my change of residence for that year and if I recall, I lost the withholding that had been taken out of my pay during the time I worked there, but then I was never bothered again. I wonder if IL will give you any grief for tax year 2019. 

Retired U.S. Army and Veteran of the Vietnam conflict

NRA Life Member

Fully retired!

#46 BigJim

• Members
  • 3,825 posts

Posted 30 June 2019 - 05:36 PM

At least as a non-resident you won't be paying IL income tax any longer, make sure to update those tax forms  :)

If IL income tax is higher than the tax where you live you will have to pay the difference to Illinois. I have a coworker who moved to WI and pays both IL and WI income tax.

Big Jim
-----------------------------------------
I will not be commanded,
I will not be controlled
And I will not let my future go on,
without the help of my soul

The Lost Boy - Greg Holden

#47 JTHunter

• Members
  • 1,437 posts

Posted 30 June 2019 - 08:53 PM

If IL income tax is higher than the tax where you live you will have to pay the difference to Illinois. I have a coworker who moved to WI and pays both IL and WI income tax.

When I commuted to Missouri from Ill-ANNOY years ago, Missouri took their share but I still owed Ill-ANNOY.  There were times that I worked inside St. Louis city limits which made things even worse.  The City has an "earnings tax" and Ill-ANNOY didn't give any credit for that.

“We, the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.” - - Abraham Lincoln

“Small minds adhere to the letter of the law; great minds dispense Justice.” - - S. C. Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes

Life member NAHC, Endowment member NRA

#48 evilbrownrifle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 01 July 2019 - 09:20 AM

Happy Gas Tax Day!

How are you going to celebrate? I think I'll grill a roll of $5 bills then blow the remains up with fireworks.

Edited by evilbrownrifle, 01 July 2019 - 09:24 AM.

#49 Jeffrey

• Members
  • 5,503 posts

Posted 01 July 2019 - 09:40 AM

Happy Gas Tax Day!

How are you going to celebrate? I think I'll grill a roll of $5 bills then blow the remains up with fireworks.

I celebrated by filling up yesterday.  

...and justice for all

#50 axel2078

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 01 July 2019 - 10:11 AM

When I commuted to Missouri from Ill-ANNOY years ago, Missouri took their share but I still owed Ill-ANNOY.  There were times that I worked inside St. Louis city limits which made things even worse.  The City has an "earnings tax" and Ill-ANNOY didn't give any credit for that.

Yep, I'm still going through this.  I live in IL and work in MO.  I pay taxes to both states at tax time.

#51 papa

• Members
  • 6,082 posts

Posted 01 July 2019 - 10:46 AM

Happy Gas Tax Day!

I celebrated by filling up yesterday.  

You , me , and a whole lot of other people. :thumbsup:  That's $1.52 the state won't get from me.  I just wish it could have been more. 

#52 Flynn

• Members
  • 1,448 posts

Posted 01 July 2019 - 12:55 PM

Happy Gas Tax Day!

I think the gas stations around me played a price fixing game this last week...  About 5 days ago there was about a 25 cent jump in gas prices overnight at pretty much every gas station, seemed odd at the time knowing the tax wasn't here yet, but now that the new 19 cent tax hit today the price didn't budge up or down, not even a penny of shift in price since yesterday, hmm.

**From some local social media, it's not just me noticing this, apparently a handful of local gas stations have jumped up in price to over $3, but most are still holding yesterdays price of about $2.75-$2.80.

Edited by Flynn, 01 July 2019 - 01:07 PM.

—Anonymous

#53 evilbrownrifle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 01 July 2019 - 03:06 PM

Happy Gas Tax Day!

I think the gas stations around me played a price fixing game this last week...  About 5 days ago there was about a 25 cent jump in gas prices overnight at pretty much every gas station, seemed odd at the time knowing the tax wasn't here yet, but now that the new 19 cent tax hit today the price didn't budge up or down, not even a penny of shift in price since yesterday, hmm.

**From some local social media, it's not just me noticing this, apparently a handful of local gas stations have jumped up in price to over $3, but most are still holding yesterdays price of about $2.75-$2.80.

I know that industry well. Price fixing is typically not a thing. There's too much competition with the big price sign on the corner and consumers' fixation on gas prices. They would be very happy to steal volume (customers) from someone priced significantly higher at the expense of margin. We are seeing some tightening in the market now over fairly typical supply and demand issues. It's not all that unusual for there to be a wholesale price swing in a market of that much, which tends to be fairly universal. Though volatility has dropped off a lot in the past 5 years or so.

Now, when prices drop they will try to maintain the previous higher price as long as they can, but, again someone fairly quickly starts to drop prices to steal volume and everyone has to follow. 

#54 Flynn

• Members
  • 1,448 posts

Posted 01 July 2019 - 03:30 PM

I know that industry well. Price fixing is typically not a thing. There's too much competition with the big price sign on the corner and consumers' fixation on gas prices. They would be very happy to steal volume (customers) from someone priced significantly higher at the expense of margin. We are seeing some tightening in the market now over fairly typical supply and demand issues. It's not all that unusual for there to be a wholesale price swing in a market of that much, which tends to be fairly universal. Though volatility has dropped off a lot in the past 5 years or so.

Now, when prices drop they will try to maintain the previous higher price as long as they can, but, again someone fairly quickly starts to drop prices to steal volume and everyone has to follow. 

That doesn't explain why earlier today the price of gas today at many local stations apparently did not reflect the 19 cents a gallon tax that should have happened overnight while others did in such a competitive market 

But, then again I'm aware that many times for corporate owned gas stations prices are only adjusted when corporate sends down the end of day market adjustment.   Maybe the lower prices were just these corporate stations slow to react to the tax change and thus didnt adjust prices until the normally scheduled end of day adjustment, while the independent stations marked up at the start of the day, that could explain why now (within give or take the last hour) the prices seem to have all stabalized to reflect the new tax. Most of the gas stations are now within pennies as expected, not the huge differences I was seeing earlier.

Gas where I normally buy has went from $2.76 to $3.13 in the last hour, that seems reflective of the new tax not just a market increase as it's still only $2.72 in Kenosha, WI

Edited by Flynn, 01 July 2019 - 03:32 PM.

—Anonymous

#55 Flynn

• Members
  • 1,448 posts

Posted 01 July 2019 - 10:15 PM

Jelly Belly is already taking his bows and spending the money!!!

https://www.chicagot...gfgm-story.html

Spoiler

Edited by Flynn, 01 July 2019 - 10:17 PM.

—Anonymous

#56 evilbrownrifle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 02 July 2019 - 10:38 AM

That doesn't explain why earlier today the price of gas today at many local stations apparently did not reflect the 19 cents a gallon tax that should have happened overnight while others did in such a competitive market 

But, then again I'm aware that many times for corporate owned gas stations prices are only adjusted when corporate sends down the end of day market adjustment.   Maybe the lower prices were just these corporate stations slow to react to the tax change and thus didnt adjust prices until the normally scheduled end of day adjustment, while the independent stations marked up at the start of the day, that could explain why now (within give or take the last hour) the prices seem to have all stabalized to reflect the new tax. Most of the gas stations are now within pennies as expected, not the huge differences I was seeing earlier.

Gas where I normally buy has went from $2.76 to $3.13 in the last hour, that seems reflective of the new tax not just a market increase as it's still only $2.72 in Kenosha, WI

Most, including those carrying a major oil brand, are not corporate owned. At least not anymore. Only a few oil companies like Chevron still have any number of company stores, and even there it tends to be fairly small numbers. For example, only about 300 out of 8000 branded sites. Of course operations like Racetrac and Kwiktrip are really now what the corporate stations were back in the day. A growing push now is to centralize pricing (setting and even changing at the sign) automatically from the central HQ because it can be challenging to get price changes rolled out in today's employment market. Just like it can be challenging to get a fast food order filled correctly. It doesn't help that many stores are leased and managed separately from the fuel so certain increases from the fuel side might be "slow" to make it to the street :)

In any case that tax bump is NOT going to be slight, and studies show people have a VERY intense reaction to fuel prices. The nimrods in CA seem to put up with it but I'm not so sure IL residents are all on board with the progressive dream. Aside from filling up myself, it will be fun to see the whole elections have consequences thing set in.

Edited by evilbrownrifle, 02 July 2019 - 10:39 AM.

#57 evilbrownrifle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 02 July 2019 - 10:43 AM

Spoiler

All of the frickin Casino and Marijuana money will be going to new spending, not attempting to fix the existing pension gash in the HMS Illinitanic. Even if they were applied 100% from what I've read they would come up short.

Edited by evilbrownrifle, 02 July 2019 - 10:43 AM.

#58 BigJim

• Members
  • 3,825 posts

Posted 02 July 2019 - 11:16 AM

Saturday my wife filled up all our cars before the tax increase hit. Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Big Jim
-----------------------------------------
I will not be commanded,
I will not be controlled
And I will not let my future go on,
without the help of my soul

The Lost Boy - Greg Holden

#59 Flynn

• Members
  • 1,448 posts

Posted 02 July 2019 - 11:56 AM

Most, including those carrying a major oil brand, are not corporate owned. At least not anymore. Only a few oil companies like Chevron still have any number of company stores, and even there it tends to be fairly small numbers.

I was refering to corporate owned stations like those found at Meijer, Walmart, Sams Clubs, Costco and Thortons to name a few...

—Anonymous

#60 Jeffrey

• Members
  • 5,503 posts

Posted 02 July 2019 - 12:30 PM

Spoiler

Speaking of Jelly belly, bows, and wasting money.  Nothing I can think of better to waste money than on a boat.  Yes I already know what boat stands for:  https://www.chicagot...6mki-story.html

...and justice for all

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users