Hawaii Re-Evaluates Cannabis/Gun Confiscations

mauserme

https://merryjane.com/news/hawaii-medical-marijuana-gun-ownership-controversy

Hawaii Police Will Reevaluate Decision to Confiscate Guns from Medical Marijuana Patients

Federal law prohibits drug users from purchasing and using firearms, but concrete attempts to restrict cannabis patients’ right to bare arms have been easier said than done.

The Honolulu Police Department sent a series of letters to the island’s medical marijuana card holders, demanding the surrender of all registered firearms. The policy has not gone as smoothly as intended, and will be reviewed and reevaluated by state police officials, Hawaii News Now reports.

The letters have apparently been arriving in the mailboxes of Hawaiian medical marijuana patients all year, though the initiative was first reported to the public on Russ Belville’s Marijuana Agenda podcast earlier this week. Since then, the letters have reignited the nationwide debate about the intersection of cannabis and gun ownership.

Giving medical marijuana patients 30 days to turn in their guns, the letters cite state law reaffirming a federal statute that bars users of any illicit substance, even state-approved cannabis, from owning a firearm. On the ATF form necessary to obtain gun ownership, applicants must explicitly confirm that they are not “an unlawful user of, or addicted to, marijuana or any depressant, stimulant, narcotic drug, or any other controlled substance.”

Since states like California and Colorado began approving cannabis for medical purposes, the issue has popped up across the country, including a ruling last year by a panel of 9th Circuit Court of Appeals judges that confirmed the forfeiture of cannabis users’ Second Amendment rights.

In gun-friendly states like Arkansas, experts have argued that warnings about medical marijuana participation disqualifying gun ownership have significantly hindered the number of people applying for the legal cannabis program.

Armed with similar federal warnings, Florida legislator Cord Byrd has raised similar concerns over the Sunshine State’s relatively new medical program, predicting harsh consequences for mixing reefer and rifles.

Even in the face of federal and local law, though, the separation of guns and grass has generally been a bureaucratic safeguard more than enforceable fact. For example, gun buyers must sign a drug-free pledge, but are not required to submit a urine or blood sample to see if they’re actually telling the truth.

But while a number of reports have claimed that the Honolulu Police Department “voluntary surrender” requests were the first attempt to actively confiscate guns from legal cannabis users, a similar, and ultimately failed, letter campaign was sent to at least four Illinois medical marijuana users in late 2015, informing the patients that their firearm cards had been immediately revoked due to their medical marijuana licenses. Illinois officials eventually called the letters a mistake and have not made any subsequent attempts to hinder gun ownership for medical marijuana patients.

Back in Hawaii, public discussion of the surrender requests have raised new questions about whether all of the state’s medical marijuana card holders actively use the plant. The situation has also prompted HPD Chief Susan Ballard, who claims she did not approve the letters despite her signature appearing at the bottom, to rethink the controversial policy.

Hawaiian Police Department officials have not made a final decision about taking action in relation to the letters, but have confirmed that medical marijuana card holders will be denied permits for legal gun ownership going forward.

Follow Zach Harris on Twitter

emphasis added

Saying someone is a drug user because they have a medical marijuana card is just like calling all woman prostitutes.

This. It is a Federal crime to USE marijuana. It is not a crime to seek a license to use it. This is no different than people who get their CCL but choose not to carry a pistol or people who get drivers' licenses and choose not to own a car.

Yet almost every mass shooter was on legal prescription drugs. If the records were made public I bet it would be 100% of mass shooters were on prescription medication with known psychotic side effects.

Restrict weed, big pharma hates the competition.

I don't see the difference between legal drugs with known psychotic side effects and illegal drugs with known psychotic side effects.

I don't see the difference between an addict to legal drugs versus an addict to illegal drugs. Addiction is slavery either which way.

Remember the Orwellian message: Slavery is freedom! #1 message of the drug legalization crowd.

Legalized weed makes more leftocrat voters. This is why the libertarian party never gets out of single digits. It really is a satellite party of the leftocrats.

It all has long term damaging affects on the brain, heart, and most affect the liver.

It's one thing to be sick or injured, but somehow everyone has been told it's OK to use drugs to deal with life, and to use them forever. It sucks bad enough for some people to have to use medication to live, but why would you choose daily drug use to overcome a little stress and anxiety.

We hear about the consequences of daily use of cocaine, heroine, and meth, why would anyone think that long term daily use of weed, alcohol, or psychotropic pharmys are any different. It burns out brain synapses and neurons and restricts blood flow in your brain.

Limited recreational use is fine, but daily use is going to have serious consequences.

Legalize it all, the problem sorts itself out.

Yet almost every mass shooter was on legal prescription drugs. If the records were made public I bet it would be 100% of mass shooters were on prescription medication with known psychotic side effects.

Restrict weed, big pharma hates the competition.

I don't see the difference between legal drugs with known psychotic side effects and illegal drugs with known psychotic side effects.

I don't see the difference between an addict to legal drugs versus an addict to illegal drugs. Addiction is slavery either which way.

Remember the Orwellian message: Slavery is freedom! #1 message of the drug legalization crowd.

Legalized weed makes more leftocrat voters. This is why the libertarian party never gets out of single digits. It really is a satellite party of the leftocrats.

Maybe as soon as 5 years ago I would agree but with the last POTUS election I think a lot of party particular platforms are losing their base. All the pot smokers I know like their freedom and want more of it. Usually that is a R leaning subject. The swamp of R's we have are still stuck in reefer madness and most don't want to admit they have been wrong all this time. I thought for sure Obummer was going to legalize it. I don't see Trump getting involved in it and especially with Sessions and his past comments legalization won't happen any time soon. If Trump legalized it I don't think it would change the minds of many on either side of the isle.

It all has long term damaging affects on the brain, heart, and most affect the liver.
So does alcohol as well as probably every prescription and OTC you ingest. As an adult child of an alcoholic, I can safely say that I would have much rather preferred my dad to be a stoner than an alcoholic. Ask cops how many domestics they respond to where the parties are high (NOT dealers, only users). Probably a big fat goose egg. Domestics where alcohol is involved, oh boy. Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Archived