The answer probably depends on where you live in the County. If you're unincorporated the ban applies to you but there are still many semi-auto rifles you can possess within the County (if you keep your firearms outside of Cook you can own anything not prohibited by Illinois or Federal law).

If you live in a home rule municipality with a firearm ordinance that conflicts with the county ordinance go with the municipal regulation - the county ban doesn't apply to you.

It gets a little murky from there. If you're in a home rule town without a directly conflicting ordinance there are good arguments that the Cook ban doesn't apply. I know of one well regarded village attorney who's expressed that opinion and I think he's correct.

If you're in a non-home rule town the answer is less definitive. The county ban likely doesn't apply but it's harder to make that argument.

Here's the ordinance listing the prohibited firearms.

Mauserme gave you the ins and outs of the law and where those are likely to apply. I agree. I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that you didn't get a list of approved guns because lists can be used against us. No point in making the opposition research easy for the next grab.

I suggest you study history. There's stuff there for you that still works today.

Adding to the total dense fog of confusing legal wording is the reality that there have been few to no folks ever charged and prosecuted under those laws/ordinances so we have few precedents to cite.

Many are of the 'opinion' that AR pistols ARE legal to have in Cook County because they are handguns and therefore pre-empted by the Concelaed Carry ruling. Others are not of that opinion.

Some have and still own the SKS semi-auto rifle within not only Cook but also the Chicago city limits, most 'likely' very legal.

As always no one here at Illinois Carry would advise anyone, especially a newcomer, to break any existing laws.

Adding to the total dense fog of confusing legal wording is the reality that there have been few to no folks ever charged and prosecuted under those laws/ordinances so we have few precedents to cite.

Many are of the 'opinion' that AR pistols ARE legal to have in Cook County because they are handguns and therefore pre-empted by the Concelaed Carry ruling. Others are not of that opinion.

Some have and still own the SKS semi-auto rifle within not only Cook but also the Chicago city limits, most 'likely' very legal.

As always no one here at Illinois Carry would advise anyone, especially a newcomer, to break any existing laws.

>>> Some have and still own the SKS semi-auto rifle within not only Cook but also the Chicago city limits, most 'likely' very legal.

David Lawson fought that already on our behalf.

An unmodified fixed mag SKS is fine in Chicago.

http://chicagogunsmatter.org/history/50-lawson-vs-chicago

County ban:

Shall include, but not be limited to, the assault weapons models identified as follows:

(A)

The following rifles or copies or duplicates thereof:

(i)

AK, AKM, AKS, AK-47, AK-74, ARM, MAK90, Misr, NHM 90, NHM 91, SA 85, SA 93, VEPR, Rock River Arms LAR-47, Vector Arms AK-47, VEPR, WASR-10, WUM, MAADI, Norinco 56S, 56S2, 84S, and 86S;

(ii)

AR-10;

(iii)

AR-15, Bushmaster XM15, Bushmaster Carbon 15, Bushmaster ACR, Bushmaster MOE series, Armalite M15, Armalite M15-T and Olympic Arms PCR;

(iv)

AR70;

(v)

Calico Liberty;

(vi)

Dragunov SVD Sniper Rifle or Dragunov SVU;

(vii)

Fabrique National FN/FAL, FN/LAR, or FNC;

(viii)

Hi-Point Carbine;

(ix)

HK-91, HK-93, HK-94, HK-USC and HK-PSG-1;

(x)

Kel-Tec Sub Rifle, Kel-Tec Sub-2000, SU-16, and RFB;

(xi)

Saiga;

(xii)

SAR-8, SAR-4800;

(xiii)

KS with detachable magazine;

(xiv)

SLG 95;

(xv)

SLR 95 or 96;

(xvi)

Steyr AUG;

(xvii)

Sturm, Ruger Mini-14, and Sturm, Ruger & Co. SR556;

(xviii)

Tavor;

(xix)

All Thompson rifles, including Thompson 1927, Thompson M1, Thompson M1SB, Thompson T1100D, Thompson T150D, Thompson T1B, Thompson T1B100D, Thompson T1B50D, Thompson T1BSB, Thompson T1-C, Thompson T1D, Thompson T1SB, Thompson T5, Thompson T5100D, Thompson TM1, Thompson TM1C and Thompson 1927 Commando;

(xx)

Uzi, Galil and Uzi Sporter, Galil Sporter, or Galil Sniper Rifle (Galatz)

(xxi)

Barret REC7, Barrett M82A1, Barrett M107A1;

(xxii)

Colt Match Target Rifles;

(xxiii)

Double Star AR Rifles;

(xxiv)

DPMS Tactical Rifles;

(xxv)

Heckler & Koch MR556;

(xxvi)

Remington R-15 Rifles;

(xxvii)

Rock River Arms LAR-15;

(xxviii)

Sig Sauer SIG516 Rifles, SIG AMT, SIG PE 57, Sig Saucer SG 550, and Sig Saucer SG 551;

(xxix)

Smith & Wesson M&P15;

(xxx)

Stag Arms AR;

(xxxi)

Baretta CX4 Storm;

(xxxii)

CETME Sporter;

(xxxiii)

Daewoo K-1, K-2, Max 1, Max 2, AR 100, and AR 110C;

(xxxiv)

Fabrique Nationale/FN Herstal FAL, LAR, 22 FNC, 308 Match, L1A1 Sporter, PS90, SCAR, and FS2000;

(xxxv)

Feather Industries AT-9;

(xxxvi)

Galil Model AR and Model ARM;

(xxxvii)

Springfield Armory SAR-48;

(xxxviii)

Steyr AUG;

(xxxix)

UMAREX UZI Rifle;

(xl)

UZI Mini Carbine, UZI Model A Carbine, and UZI Model B Carbine;

(xli)

Valmet M62S. M71S, and M78;

(xlii)

Vector Arms UZI Type;

(xliii)

Weaver Arms Nighthawk; and

(xliv)

Wilkinson Arms Linda Carbine

(B)

The following handguns, pistols or copies or duplicates thereof:

(i)

All AK-47 types, including Centurion 39 AK handgun, Draco AK-47 handgun, HCR AK-47 handgun, 10 Inc. Hellpup, AK-47 handgun, Krinkov handgun, Mini Draco AK-47 handgun, and Yugo Krebs Krink handgun.

(ii)

All AR-15 types, including American Spirit AR-15 handgun, Bushmaster Carbon 15 handgun, DoubleStar Corporation AR handgun, DPMS AR-15 handgun, Olympic Arms AR-15 handgun and Rock River Arms LAR 15 handgun;

(iii)

Calico Liberty handguns;

(iv)

DSA SA58 PKP FAL handgun;

(v)

Encom MP-9 and MP-45;

(vi)

Heckler & Koch model SP-89 handgun;

(vii)

Intratec AB-10, TEC-22 Scorpion, TEC-9 and TEC-DC9;

(viii)

Kel-Tec PLR 16 handgun;

(ix)

MAC-IO, MAC-11, Masterpiece Arms MPA A930 Mini Pistol, MPA460 Pistol, MPA Tactical Pistol, MPA 3 and MPA Mini Tactical Pistol;

(x)

Military Armament Corp. Ingram M-11 and Velocity Arms VMAC;

(xi)

Sig Sauer P556 handgun;

(xii)

Sites Spectre;

(xiii)

All Thompson types, including the Thompson TA510D and Thompson TA5;

(xiv)

Olympic Arms OA;

(xv)

TEC-9, TEC-DC9, TEC-22 Scorpion, or AB-10; and

(xvi)

All UZI types, including Micro-UZI.

©

The following shotguns or copies or duplicates thereof:

(i)

Armscor 30 BG;

(ii)

SPAS 12 or LAW 12;

(iii)

Striker 12;

(iv)

Streetsweeper;

(v)

All IZHMASH Saiga 12 types, including the IZHMASH Saiga 12, IZHMASH Saiga 12S, IZHMASH Saiga 12S EXP-01, IZHMASH Saiga 12K, IZHMASH Saiga 12K-030, and IZHMASH Saiga 12K-040 Taktika.

(D)

All belt-fed semiautomatic firearms, including TNWM2HB.

Chicago ban:

1. Any of the firearms, types, replicas, or duplicates in any caliber of the firearms known as:

a. Norinco, Mitchell, and Poly Technologies Avtomat Kalashnikovs (all models);

b. Action Arms Israeli Military Industries UZI and Galil;

c. Beretta AR-70 (SC-70);

d. Colt AR-15;

e. Fabrique Nationale FN/FAL, FN/LAR, and FNC;

f. SWD M-10, M-11, M-11/9, and M-12;

g. Steyr AUG;

h. INTRATEC TEC-9, TEC-DC9, and TEC-22;

i. any shotgun which contains its ammunition in a revolving cylinder, such as (but not limited to) the Street Sweeper and Striker 12; and

j. any handgun or rifle having a caliber of .50 or greater.

2. A semiautomatic rifle that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has one or more of the following:

a. a folding or telescoping stock;

b. a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;

c. a bayonet mount;

d. a flash suppressor or barrel having a threaded muzzle; or

e. a grenade launcher.

3. A semiautomatic pistol that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has one or more of the following:

a. an ammunition magazine that attaches to the pistol outside of the pistol grip;

b. a barrel having a threaded muzzle;

c. a shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely encircles the barrel, and that permits the shooter to hold the firearm with the non-trigger hand without being burned;

d. a manufactured weight of 50 ounces or more when the pistol is unloaded; or

e. a semiautomatic version of an automatic firearm.

4. A semiautomatic shotgun that has one or more of the following:

a. a folding or telescoping stock;

b. a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;

c. a fixed magazine capacity in excess of five rounds; or

d. an ability to accept a detachable magazine.

And also: All of the following rifles, including any copies or duplicates thereof with the capability of any such weapon:

A.

All AK types, including the following:

i.

AK, AK47, AK47S, AK-74, AKM, AKS, ARM, MAK90, MISR, NHM90. NHM91, Rock River Arms LAR-47, SA85, SA93, Vector Arms AK-47, VEPR, WASR-10, and WUM

ii.

IZHMASH Saiga AK

iii.

MAADI AK47 and ARM

iv.

Norinco 56S, 56S2, 84S, and 86S

v.

Poly Technologies AK47 and AKS.

B.

All AR types, including the following:

i.

AR-10

ii.

AR-15

iii.

Armalite M15 22LR Carbine

iv.

Armalite M15-T

v.

Barrett REC7

vi.

Beretta AR-70

vii.

Bushmaster ACR

(viii) Bushmaster Carbon 15

ix.

Bushmaster MOE series

x.

Bushmaster XM15

xi.

Colt Match Target Rifles

xii.

DoubleStar AR rifles

(xiii) DPMS Tactical Rifles

xiv.

Heckler & Koch MR556

xv.

Olympic Arms

xvi.

Remington R-15 rifles

(xvii) Rock River Arms LAR-15

(xviii) Sig Sauer SIG516 rifles

xix.

Smith & Wesson M&P15 rifles

xx.

Stag Arms AR rifles

xxi.

Sturm, Ruger & Co. SR556 rifles.

C.

Barrett M107A1.

D.

Barrett M82A1.

E.

Beretta CX4 Storm.

F.

Calico Liberty Series.

G.

CETME Sporter.

(H)\ Daewoo K-1. K-2, Max 1, Max 2, AR 100. and AR 110PC.

(I) Fabrique Nationale/FN Herstal FAL, LAR, 22 FNC, 308 Match, L1A1 Sporter, PS90, SCAR, and FS2000.

J.

Feather Industries AT-9.

K.

Galil Model AR and Model ARM.

L.

Hi-Point Carbine.

M.

HK-91, HK-93, HK-94, HK-PSG-1, and HK USC.

N.

Kel-Tec Sub-2000, SU-16, and RFB.

O.

SIG AMT, SIG PE-57, Sig Sauer SG 550, and Sig Sauer SG 551.

P.

Springfield Armory SAR-48.

Q.

Steyr AUG.

R.

Sturm, Ruger Mini-14 Tactical Rife M-14/20CF.

S.

All Thompson rifles, including the following:

i.

Thompson M1SB

ii.

Thompson T1100D

iii.

Thompson T150D

iv.

Thompson T1B

v.

Thompson T1B100D

vi.

Thompson T1B50D

vii.

Thompson T1BSB

(viii) Thompson T1-C

ix.

Thompson T1D

x.

Thompson T1SB

xi.

Thompson T5

xii.

Thompson T5100D

(xiii) Thompson TM1

xiv.

Thompson TM1C.

T.

UMAREX UZI Rifle.

U.

UZI Mini Carbine, UZI Model A Carbine, and UZI Model B Carbine.

V.

Valmet M62S, M71S, and M78.

W.

Vector Arms UZI Type.

X.

Weaver Arms Nighthawk.

Y.

Wilkinson Arms Linda Carbine.

All of the following handguns, including any copies or duplicates thereof with the capability of any such weapon:

A.

All AK-47 types, including the following:

i.

Centurion 39 AK handgun

ii.

Draco AK-47 handgun

iii.

HCR AK-47 handgun

iv.

IO, Inc. Hellpup AK-47 handgun

v.

Krinkov handgun

vi.

Mini Draco AK-47 handgun

vii.

Yugo Krebs Krink handgun.

B.

All AR-15 types, including the following:

i.

American Spirit AR-15 handgun

ii.

Bushmaster Carbon 15 handgun

iii.

DoubleStar Corporation AR handgun

iv.

DPMS AR-15 handgun

v.

Olympic Arms AR-15 handgun

vi.

Rock River Arms LAR 15 handgun.

C.

Calico Liberty handguns.

D.

PSA SA58 PKP FAL handgun.

E.

Encom MP-9 and MP-45.

F.

Heckler & Koch model SP-89 handgun.

G.

Intratec AB-10, TEC-22 Scorpion, TEC-9, and TEC-DC9.

H.

Kel-Tec PLR 16 handgun.

I.

The following MAC types:

i.

MAC-10

ii.

MAC-11

iii.

Masterpiece Arms MPA A930 Mini Pistol, MPA460 Pistol. MPA Tactical Pistol, and MPA Mini Tactical Pistol

iv.

Military Armament Corp. Ingram M-11

v.

Velocity Arms VMAC.

J.

Sig Sauer P556 handgun.

K.

Sites Spectre.

L.

All Thompson types, including the following:

i.

Thompson TA510D

ii.

Thompson TA5.

M.

All UZI types, including Micro-UZI.

All of the following shotguns, including any copies or duplicates thereof with the capability of any such weapon:

A.

Franchi LAW-12 and SPAS 12.

B.

All IZHMASH Saiga 12 types, including the following:

i.

IZHMASH Saiga 12

ii.

IZHMASH Saiga 12S

iii.

IZHMASH Saiga 12S EXP-01

iv.

IZHMASH Saiga 12K

v.

IZHMASH Saiga 12K-030

vi.

IZHMASH Saiga 12K-040 Taktika.

C.

Streetsweeper.

D.

Striker 12.

All belt-fed semiautomatic firearms, including TNW M2HB.

Any combination of parts from which a firearm described in subparagraphs (1) through (13) can be assembled.

The frame or receiver of a rifle or shotgun described in subparagraph (1), (2), (5), (9), (10), (12), (13), or (18).

A sawed-off shotgun.

A short-barrel rifle.

A .50 caliber rifle.

Get a used M1A Scout. As for AK's, all AK type weapons are banned:

The following rifles or copies or duplicates thereof:

(i)

AK, AKM, AKS, AK-47, AK-74, ARM, MAK90, Misr, NHM 90, NHM 91, SA 85, SA 93, VEPR, Rock River Arms LAR-47, Vector Arms AK-47, VEPR, WASR-10, WUM, MAADI, Norinco 56S, 56S2, 84S, and 86S

• 2 weeks later...

You can actually own just about anything including a tank. It, however, may require special permits and licensing (machine gun manufacturer for example).

Keeping something in your house worry free of some local harassment that is in actual violation of state and or federal law is something else.

Beating it in court is long, expensive, frustrating, problematic, . . . .

The county law must not be enforced at all because I see people at the range all the time with their ARs and AKs.

I own an AR15 and live downtown. I can own it, take it out and use where it is legal, but it better not spend a second in my home. I must keep it at my range.

I guess what I am saying is owning is not the problem, but storing is a pain for some.

IANAL

I believe it is permissible to 'pass through,' as in keep it in your house while cleaning it on the way to or from shooting; transporting.

Obviously within the county (at least parts of it) you can keep it on a rack while waiting to sell it (too many Crook county stores to name), also.

Stupid, stupid, stupid, . . . .

Like setting a speed limit at 55 and expecting anyone to actually do 55.

I think it's fair to say that the current patchwork of state, county, city and suburban statutes and ordinances creates much uncertainty on many fronts. While some laws may not be enforced I would hate to be the exception because as Plinkermostly stated, being in court is expensive, frustrating, time consuming and uncertain. Hopefully, the legislature can one day move closer to one set of rules that are (relatively) easy to understand.

Getting back to the OP's initial query, what can I own?

Living in the city of Chicago and Crook County my frame of refrence regarding ownership and the current laws within the city work this way, what can I own?

And answer, nothing and work my way up from there.

I think it's fair to say that the current patchwork of state, county, city and suburban statutes and ordinances creates much uncertainty on many fronts. While some laws may not be enforced I would hate to be the exception because as Plinker mostly stated, being in court is expensive, frustrating, time consuming and uncertain. Hopefully, the legislature can one day move closer to one set of rules that are (relatively) easy to understand.

And THAT may be what the antis have in mind. If they can create enough confusion with their patchwork of conflicts, some people will just be discouraged enough to NOT carry.

I am in the same boat. I live in suburban Cook County and am not clear what I can own. My gun club as 3 gun events and I can't compete due to these laws. My town is home rule but has no specific gun laws. After all these years no one can clearly state you can or can not own an AR. I even went to the police department and ask. They don't know.

I am in the same boat. I live in suburban Cook County and am not clear what I can own. My gun club as 3 gun events and I can't compete due to these laws. My town is home rule but has no specific gun laws. After all these years no one can clearly state you can or can not own an AR. I even went to the police department and ask. They don't know.

I am not a lawyer, but If you're savvy check your municipal code for anything regarding firearms. If they are mentioned at all, you could argue that your city has decided that those regulations are the only ones the municipality has deemed necessary for its residents and thus the Cook County laws don't apply. Without specifying his exact reasons, my city's lawyer indicated that the Cook County ban does not apply to us during the city council meetings where the possibility of enacting a ban was discussed (and unanimously rejected).

To give more color, my city is home rule, in Cook County, and has a few non-objectionable ordinances on the books about guns (e.g. prevent minors from accessing, no carry within the city without a permit, no discharge within the city unless justified for self defense, etc.). It does not have an ordinance specifically overruling the Cook County law, though like I said our city's lawyer stated in a City Council session that it didn't apply. To further hammer the point home, prior to 41F removing the CLEO signature requirement my CLEO signed off on a Form 1 after he did 3 months of research, allowing me to build an SBR AR-15. I was informed that this was done after consulting the ATF, Illinois State Police, and attorneys among others. Additionally, the ATF issued the stamp which, according to the form's instructions, "Applications shall be denied if the making or possession of the firearm would place the person making the firearm in violation of law." So my CLEO says it's legal, my city's attorney says it's legal, the ISP says it's legal, and the ATF says it's legal.

Why does it matter? Well, the SBR AR-15 is still an AR-15 and would be banned if the Cook County law applied. Thus my >16" ARs are also legal. The law that bans AR-15s also bans AKs, limits magazines to 10 round, etc. Since I've determined that it doesn't apply, I am more than comfortable owning and possessing my ARs, AKs, 30 round magazines, etc.

I've done a lot of legwork on this and I feel that I've gone well above and beyond what most people would do and more than is probably necessary. I am comfortable with this determination for myself in my situation in my city. Transport laws protect me when I am not at home.

Feel free to use my experience as a guideline.

Archived