Insurance for Concealed Carry

yyyz

Hopefully I am in the right forum.

There is a lot of discussion about concealed carry, etc, but I haven't seen anything on insurance in case you actually have to use your gun. I am not in the insurance business, just believe that it may be something that needs to be evaluated.

What is everyone planning to do? Will you go insurance naked? I ran across https://www.usconcealedcarry.com - anyone familiar with their plan or any other plans that might be worth reviewing?

Hopefully I am in the right forum.

There is a lot of discussion about concealed carry, etc, but I haven't seen anything on insurance in case you actually have to use your gun. I am not in the insurance business, just believe that it may be something that needs to be evaluated.

What is everyone planning to do? Will you go insurance naked? I ran across https://www.usconcealedcarry.com - anyone familiar with their plan or any other plans that might be worth reviewing?

I am glad you started this topic. I will be checking back with what others get or plan to get. I will also check to see how I am covered now.

I plan on purchasing this:

http://www.locktonri...ins/defense.htm

Craigcelia...

I am familiar with Lockton as an insurer - had lunch with three of their people from Atlanta last week. Could you expand on why you chose the NRA plan over the other options? Did you look at any other plans available?

I just sent UsConcealedCarry.Com the following email...

Should have my CCW permit by March (Illinois is always a little slow) and I'm comparing available insurance plans. Can you tell me what insurance company backs your plan? Do you have any type of comparison of your plan to other plans available? Thanks in advance for your consideration.

Hope I get a response. If I do, I will post it

The NRA coverage that was linked to says reimbursement after acquittal of criminal charges. On the matter of civil liability, depending on how well off you are, the possibility of civil suits/damages are fairly low. First, IL has some pretty good self defense laws. Second, the injured party is going to want an attorney to take the case on contingency. As soon as the attorney figures out you are without a liability policy they will likely discourage the plaintiff since there I not likely to be any money at the end of the rainbow. Third, juries do not like awarding money that is to be taken from personal assets (unless they know you are flush with cash). They don't mind taking it from an insurance company. The irony is that having the policy can actually encourage the civil suit.

I plan on purchasing this:

http://www.locktonri...ins/defense.htm

Craigcelia...

I am familiar with Lockton as an insurer - had lunch with three of their people from Atlanta last week. Could you expand on why you chose the NRA plan over the other options? Did you look at any other plans available?

I like this one because you actually own the policy versus just being a pool member. I am pretty confident the NRA one isn't going to go defunct. That was my reasoning, yes I did look into othersm

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Maybe later today I'll make a list starting with the links already added and try to contact each by email.

Any suggestions as to the appropriate questions to ask. One for sure is how and when payments are made and under what circumstances. Other suggestions...

Here is another one... http://www.secondcalldefense.org/plans-and-pricing - insured through Lockton Affinity, LLC - appears to be the same company that the NRA uses.

Does anyone else think that insurance is a scam? Why insure for a right? To protect yourself? Would not state laws exonerate one? To me insurance is a back door for compliance...a backdoor for more laws, a backdoor for more shenanigans by insurance companies, media outlets and politicians. What if they make insurance a requirement then make the rates through the roof. Is it just me being paranoid?

Just my thoughts, but …

If you have sufficient personal assets to meet the expenses, there is no need for insurance. And the law may indeed exonerate you from any liability. No insurance means that you will pay all the expenses out of pocket.

However, if you shoot someone, you will almost certainly need a lawyer as you may be arrested as a precautionary measure by the police.While they investigate, you may want to post bond. And in this day and age, you will probably be sued by the person that is shot or his family members – remember, you may win in the end, but anyone can sue anyone and it will cost a lot of money even if you win.

Have you guys read our justified use of force statutes? It happens somewhere around 5 or 10 thousand times a year. Do you think all those people had "conceal carry insurance"? None of us are going to do anything unjustified so why would you need insurance to protect yourself in case you have to do something none of us want to do but that is 100% legal?

Just my thoughts, but …

If you have sufficient personal assets to meet the expenses, there is no need for insurance. And the law may indeed exonerate you from any liability. No insurance means that you will pay all the expenses out of pocket.

However, if you shoot someone, you will almost certainly need a lawyer as you may be arrested as a precautionary measure by the police.While they investigate, you may want to post bond. And in this day and age, you will probably be sued by the person that is shot or his family members – remember, you may win in the end, but anyone can sue anyone and it will cost a lot of money even if you win.

(b - In no case shall any act involving the use of force justified under this Section give rise to any claim or liability brought by or on behalf of any person acting within the definition of "aggressor" set forth in Section 7 4 of this Article, or the estate, spouse, or other family member of such a person, against the person or estate of the person using such justified force, unless the use of force involves willful or wanton misconduct.

Insurance isn't about the right to carry. Its to protect you from the aftermath should you have to employ your right to carry.

Here is the deal, I like most people don't have an attorney on retainer. In the event I am involved in a self-defense shoot, I want a criminal defense attorney there(Not a public defender in the bottom 10% of his class), I want to be bonded out, and I don't want to deplete all my savings to defend myself from an prosecutor run amok.

I don't worry about this in Madison County but should I ever have to defend myself in Cook County, you are darn right I want the insurance. Remember Zimmerman? He was released that night, but after the media and the usual suspects bit into the story, he got arrested. Chicago-land is full of publicity hound prosecutors, cops and civil rights activists.

I have a 1 million liability rider policy. Covers me in any liability situation. That's all I am doing.

Who do you have your insurance with? Does it allow liability for intentional acts?

Anybody who is counting on their home insurance policy or Umbrella policy should read all of the fine print and contact their insurance agent. Some policies will cover bodily injury for acts of self-defense and others will not. Some will cover additional expenses and others will not. It's best to be VERY certain about your policy before assuming it will protect you in self-defense situations

Archived