Op-Ed. Joe Biden: Banning Assault Weapons Works

InterestedBystander

full story at link...

Joe Biden op-ed on banning assault weapons....

Where is his proof the 1994-2004 ban worked?

How can they define assault weapons and keep manufacturers from making cosmetic changes to bypass?

How are these designed to fire more rapidly than any other semi-auto?

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/11/opinion/joe-biden-ban-assault-weapons.html

...Op-Ed. Joe Biden: Banning Assault Weapons Works

Thats why, as president, I will push to ban them again.

By Joe Biden

Each time a mass shooting strikes one of our communities we grieve. We gather our loved ones. We reach for answers and clamor for action. Each time, for a moment, it feels as if this time will be different.

But then the news cycle rolls on. And we push down the gut-churning knowledge that it will be only a matter of time before it happens again. Between El Paso and Dayton only about 13 hours elapsed.

Republican leaders try to prevent action and parrot N.R.A. messaging as Donald Trump did last week when he said, Mental illness and hatred pulls the trigger, not the gun.

This is the same president who during his first year in office repealed a rule President Barack Obama and I put in place to help keep guns out of the hands of people with certain mental illnesses. This is the same president who said after Charlottesville that there were very fine people on both sides, and who continues to fan the flames of hate and white supremacy. We cant trust his diagnosis.

We have a huge problem with guns. Assault weapons military-style firearms designed to fire rapidly are a threat to our national security, and we should treat them as such. Anyone who pretends theres nothing we can do is lying and holding that view should be disqualifying for anyone seeking to lead our country....

...Were going to stop gun manufacturers from circumventing the law by making minor modifications to their products modifications that leave them just as deadly. ...

Wait, what?

Didn't he say that you can't own a bazooka? (Yes, you can. It has to be registered with ATF as a Destructive Device, along with each piece of ammunition. It costs $200 for a tax stamp for the bazooka itself, not including the cost of buying the bazooka, and $200 tax stamp for every shell, including about a one year wait period to fulfill the process.)

That you can't own a flamethrower (Yes, you can. In the United States, private ownership of a flamethrower is not restricted by federal law. Flamethrowers are legal in 48 states and restricted in California and Maryland.)

To chase off a potential intruder by firing both barrels of a double barreled shotgun into the air off your balcony (Illegal in several ways, and would cost the shooter their right to bear arms if convicted.)

And to shoot through a door at someone with a shotgun to keep someone away from your house. (Also a illegal, a felony, and would result in jail time and loss of right to bear arms.)

And says that "No one’s arguing we should make machine guns legal." (Which they are, with a tax stamp and proper Federal background checks.)

Also, that shotguns are easier to use for all people to use than rifles. (Which must be why police departments are moving to semiautomatic patrol rifles from shotguns, and every study and test of ease of use by women shows semiauto rifles are vastly superior and easier for them to use.)

-----------------

No, sorry, someone who is wrong about firearms in so many ways should never be making firearm policy.

Also, that shotguns are easier to use for all people to use than rifles. (Which must be why police departments are moving to semiautomatic patrol rifles from shotguns, and every study and test of ease of use by women shows semiauto rifles are vastly superior and easier for them to use.)

heck, I'm not a small guy and to be blunt when it comes to ease of use, I'll grab a semi-auto rifle any day over a shotgun. For dwelling defense I love a short barreled 12g, but I'm not shy to admit it kicks like a mule and it not exactly easy by any stretch compared to a handgun or rifle, especially on follow up shots.

Maybe Creepy Joe is a full barrel, heavy wood stock 410 guy? Because yeah they are easy to shoot but not my first choice for self defense, that be a squirrel gun :)

heck, I'm not a small guy and to be blunt when it comes to ease of use, I'll grab a semi-auto rifle any day over a shotgun. For dwelling defense I love a short barreled 12g, but I'm not shy to admit it kicks like a mule and it not exactly easy by any stretch compared to a handgun or rifle, especially on follow up shots.

Maybe Creepy Joe is a full barrel, heavy wood stock 410 guy? Because yeah they are easy to shoot but not my first choice for self defense, that be a squirrel gun :)

Well, if you use 0000 buckshot rounds, with 5 pellets going 1,100 fps, then it definitely is a viable self-defense load. But, for some reason, I highly doubt that Biden even knows that exists. If he did, that would almost change my opinion of his firearm knowledge.

Joe's 50 years of public service have enabled him as an expert in the field of firearms and the 2A.

He hunts Ruffed Grouse in the Adirondacks using firearms his handlers purchase (uh oh), prep, load and ready for him.

That is all you need to know.

I'm not sure that's all creepy Joe hunts... just say'n...

Well, if you use 0000 buckshot rounds, with 5 pellets going 1,100 fps, then it definitely is a viable self-defense load. But, for some reason, I highly doubt that Biden even knows that exists. If he did, that would almost change my opinion of his firearm knowledge.

Yes, for home defense or close range, but I suspect anything past 20-25 yards with that round is going to have exponentially diminishing effectiveness vs a semi-auto rifle, even a pistol chambered semi-auto rifle.

Yes, for home defense or close range, but I suspect anything past 20-25 yards with that round is going to have exponentially diminishing effectiveness vs a semi-auto rifle, even a pistol chambered semi-auto rifle.

Isn't that exactly what Biden was referring to? We're giving him the benefit of the doubt, after all, right?

Mr. Biden, I have an AR chambered in .410. Will that be banned? After all, it's a shotgun, not a rifle. Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

That's what I'm talking about. How about this . . .

. . . firing this . . .

http://wolfhillammo.com/images/products/detail/410hollow.jpg

.410 168 grain HOLLOWPOINT 3" slug.

I am reading in non Chrome browser. I do not pay nor have a login. I know they have private mode blocked (for now but Chrome is changing so they can no longer detect that)

...Opinion

It’s Too Late to Ban Assault Weapons

The half-life of military-style rifles ensures they’ll be with us for many generations. Time to deal with the world as it is.

By Alex Kingsbury

Mr. Kingsbury is a member of the editorial board.

With proper care and maintenance, an AR-15 rifle manufactured today will fire just as effectively in the year 2119 and probably for decades after that.

There are currently around 15 million military-style rifles in civilian hands in the United States. They are very rarely used in suicides or crimes. But when they are, the bloodshed is appalling.

Acknowledging the grim reality that we will live among these guns indefinitely is a necessary first step toward making the nation safer. Frustratingly, calling for military-style rifles bans — as I have done for years — may be making other lifesaving gun laws harder to pass.

President Trump on Wednesday — touring two mass shooting sites in Ohio and Texas — said that “there is no political appetite” for a new ban of assault weapons. Never mind that a majority of Americans support such a ban.

Short of forced confiscation or a major cultural shift, our great-great-great-grandchildren will live side-by-side with the guns we have today and make tomorrow. That also means that we’re far closer to the beginning of the plague of mass public shootings with military-style weapons than we are to the end. Little wonder that major companies are now including mass shootings in their risk to shareholder filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission.

Common-sense gun control measures can and do reduce accidental gun deaths and injuries, domestic violence-related deaths, homicides and suicides. Failure to enact nationwide mandatory comprehensive background checks, safe storage rules, red flag laws and robust licensing systems like those passed in Massachusetts is political negligence that will flabbergast future generations. How could they have allowed the sale of those weapons to civilians in the first place? Why didn’t they do anything about it after the mass murders began?

Laws that make it safer for Americans to coexist with weapons won’t remove the contamination of military-style weapons from society, but they will certainly save some lives.

Not only is confiscation politically untenable — the compliance rates of gun owners when bans are passed are laughably low. The distribution of these weapons across society makes even their prohibition nearly impossible. In 1996, Australia launched a mandatory gun buyback of 650,000 military-style weapons. While gun ownership per capita in the country declined by more than 20 percent, today Australians own more guns than they did before the buyback. New Zealand’s leaders, in the wake of the Christchurch massacre, launched a compulsory buyback effort for the tens of thousands of military-style weapons estimated to be in the country.

For context: In 2016 alone, more than one million military-style weapons were added to America’s existing civilian arsenal, according to industry estimates.

Not only are the number of total guns in America orders of magnitude larger than other nations, the political imagination is far less ambitious. Consider a federal assault weapons ban that Democrats introduced this year. It is purely a messaging bill since there was no chance it will win support from Republicans and become law. Yet even this thought experiment falls far short: The bill bans military-style weapons, except for the millions of military-style weapons already in circulation.

America’s gun problem is far larger than military-style weapons, the mass killer’s rifle of choice. There are hundreds of millions of handguns in the country that take far, far more lives — both homicides and suicides. Given the quality of modern manufacturing, a great many of those guns will also be operational a century from now.

Thinking about guns as an environmental contaminant is useful in considering the threat they pose to ours and future generations. Like radioactive waste, a gun is most often handled safely. Depending on the type, it poses varying levels of harm to humans.

I put the idea of guns as an environmental contaminant to John Rosenthal, a gun owner and founder of Stop Handgun Violence. Mr. Rosenthal, whose early activism included being jailed for civil disobedience at nuclear power and weapons facilities, noted that, given the potential lethality of their products to humans over time, it is not surprising that both the nuclear industry (in 1957) and the gun industry (in 2005) secured federal legislation to help limit their liability.

Like many actual environmental contaminants, guns are not evenly distributed throughout the country. Nearly one-third of residents of the United States own a gun, two-thirds of gun owners own more than one and nearly half of all firearms in civilian hands are owned by 3 percent of the population. More than 60 percent of households in Alaska contain a firearm, while fewer than 6 percent of homes in Delaware can say the same, according to one study. Alaska has among the highest gun death rates per capita in the nation. More access to guns, more gun injuries and deaths.

The only way to cut the half-life of guns is to convince Americans that they’re safer without them. Yet with violent crime at historic lows and Americans still buying up semiautomatic rifles by the bushel, it’s tough to see what it will take to stop the spending. Meanwhile, fears about gun bans cause even more guns to flow into civilian circulation.

Those of us hoping for a major generational shift on guns are courting disappointment. Younger Americans are far less likely to own guns than in previous generations, but those who do are more zealous about them.

This doesn’t mean that cultural change isn’t possible in the long term. Perhaps children forced to participate in active shooter drills in kindergarten will develop a generational loathing of the weapons. Perhaps people who inherit arsenals from their relatives will dispose of the guns responsibly. Perhaps financial incentives like a tax on guns per household, tax credits for buybacks or mandating that gun owners carry special insurance could move the needle slightly. We already know that even modest efforts to remove environmental contaminants from a community are worth it.

Perhaps if gun control advocates frankly acknowledge that military-style rifles are going to be present in American society for many generations to come, it will help assuage fears of mass confiscation and give gun owners the space they need to support sensible safeguards that will save lives.

The guns — even those that make mass murders more deadly — are here to stay....

"There are currently around 15 million military-style rifles in civilian hands in the United States. They are very rarely used in suicides or crimes. But when they are, the bloodshed is appalling."

Who else would own one - not the military - and the police are civilians as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Joe Biden op-ed on banning assault weapons....

Where is his proof the 1994-2004 ban worked?

He seems to conveniently forget that Columbine was in 1999

Give sad, broken kids an outlet and attention, and they'll take it.

Tell them that they can achieve that with "assault weapons" and that's what they'll use.

Most of these kids are sad and depressed (and mentally unstable) copycats, who lack originality, so they're just going along with whatever they know will get reported on.

He also thinks facts are not truth, that MLK was assassinated in the late 70s, that RFK was assassinated in the late 70s, that he was VP when Parkland happened.... He just posed a hypothetical "What if Obama had been assassinated?" Why does ANYONE listen to this idiot? He's been wrong about EVERYTHING. He's worth $9M and has never had a real job.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

He also thinks facts are not truth, that MLK was assassinated in the late 70s, that RFK was assassinated in the late 70s, that he was VP when Parkland happened.... He just posed a hypothetical "What if Obama had been assassinated?" Why does ANYONE listen to this idiot? He's been wrong about EVERYTHING. He's worth $9M and has never had a real job. Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Senator (Bluto) Blutarski.

He also thinks facts are not truth, that MLK was assassinated in the late 70s, that RFK was assassinated in the late 70s, that he was VP when Parkland happened.... He just posed a hypothetical "What if Obama had been assassinated?" Why does ANYONE listen to this idiot? He's been wrong about EVERYTHING. He's worth $9M and has never had a real job.

A modern day Dan Quayle

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Before Columbine there was the infamous North Hollywood shootout. AK47s were utilized in North Hollywood, whereas shotguns were used in Columbine. Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Wastn't a Tec 9 used in Columbine? I could be mis-remembering.

Hi point carbine, Tec9 and a couple of sawed off shotguns.

As for Joes AWB claims, most say it either did not work or more recently, many stories have gone the "it wasnt in place long enough to know if it worked" line.

Before Columbine there was the infamous North Hollywood shootout. AK47s were utilized in North Hollywood, whereas shotguns were used in Columbine. Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Wastn't a Tec 9 used in Columbine? I could be mis-remembering.

Hi point carbine, Tec9 and a couple of sawed off shotguns.

As for Joes AWB claims, most say it either did not work or more recently, many stories have gone the "it wasnt in place long enough to know if it worked" line.

10 years should be more than enough time to know if something is working or not. Since it was dropped after 10 years apparently it did not work and even the FBI statistics say it didn't.

Wastn't a Tec 9 used in Columbine? I could be mis-remembering.Hi point carbine, Tec9 and a couple of sawed off shotguns.

So, 2 shotguns. Ok. Maybe we should call for a ban on expensive door stops?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

c2dc5a06b4a8eb31ff4053348bc7c986.jpg

“I just spoke at Dartmouth on health care, at the medical school — or not — I guess it wasn't actually on the campus but people from the medical school were at the — I want to be clear, I'm not going nuts," he told the crowd.

c2dc5a06b4a8eb31ff4053348bc7c986.jpg “I just spoke at Dartmouth on health care, at the medical school — or not — I guess it wasn't actually on the campus but people from the medical school were at the — I want to be clear, I'm not going nuts," he told the crowd. Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Oh he's not going nuts - he's already there.

Archived