Unbelieveable: Rockford, IL Now Requiring Gun Registration

moparcardave

I learned of this today. I guess someone was buying a gun at Gander Mountain and they came up with these forms to be filed out and turned to to Rockford Police. I was a dealer years ago and there was talk of it but nothing came of it. Because Mayor Morrissay is a member of Bloombergs Mayors Against Handgun Violance I suspect this is where it came from and is wrong and I believe in violation. Glad I don't live there but I have family and friends that do. I have suggested to the people that are commenting on the topic to come to Illionois carry and learn their rights. Be friendly with them, it is amazing how much miss information is our there. Rockford Tea posted this earllier today.

Posted earlier today by Rockford Tea

This is a Gun Registration Form that the City of Rockford forces Gun Buyers and Owners to fill out at some Gun Shops here in the City of Rockford. This particular one is from Gander Mountain. I encourage everyone to stop purchasing their firearms and supplies from Gander Mountain until they tell the City of Rockford no.

Firearms Registrationby Rockford Tea on Saturday, March 17, 2012 at 4:03pm · FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE---ROCKFORDTEAPARTY

Cell: 779-348-5427

Rockfordteaparty1@gmail.com

Rockford, IL - - Rockford Tea Party finds out about Unconstitutional Firearms Registration

Since 1995 the City of Rockford has required anyone that wants to purchase a handgun in the city to fill out a registration card at the point of purchase which is sent to the city. The practice has gone unnoticed for the past 17 years, but is being revisited with current atmosphere of interest in government accountability.

This gun registration law within the City of Rockford must be eliminated without condition. We do not seek to repeal and replace it, we seek to have this unconstitutional violation of our 2nd Amendment rights eliminated completely, said David Hale Rockford Tea Party Coordinator. We are calling on the Rockford City Council and Mayor Morrissey to immediately strike this law/ordinance from the books.”

After 17 years on the books gun crime and violent crime have increased to make Rockford one of the most violent cities in the state. There is no justification for the law in Rockford and City leaders to continue to allow this the law to remain on the books. We are also seeking to have all records and registrations destroyed immediately.

426968_2766679416616_312970911_n.jpg

Somehow this ended up in site support, It was supposed to go in The Back Room, can a moderator move it? It's a pretty important piece of information. Rockford is no Home Rule, they can't all of a sudden say oh here is a new law... least I don't think so.

I'm not sure the Back Room is a good place for this. It's basically an off-topic forum (and this is definitely ON topic) and unregistered visitors won't be able to see anything there. Let me know what you think, but I'll probably move it to one of the on-topic forums unless you have a strong objection to that.

Huh - I never knew that. I bought a Remington 870 at Gander last year (I usually avoid the place like the plague because of their ridiculous pricing but somehow they had the specific 870 I wanted in stock for the same price that everyone else could order it for). I never saw the form - but then again it wasn't a handgun.

Still need to visit Kenny's new store though...

This is why no matter what laws get passed or how much leverage and freedoms us gun owners get back, this state is still just going to be behind the times and just won't get it.

What kind of form is this? What is with the section asking about scars, marks and tattoos? I can't believe I'm seeing this.

March 18th is a little early for an April fools joke.

While this is obviously a matter for our 2A attorneys to address - if this law dates back to 1995 - we can't hang this around current Rockford mayor Larry Morrissey's neck. Mayor Morrissey has been in office from 2005 to the present.

Mayor Morrissey attended and spoke at the recent IllinoisCarry Rockford Town Hall Meeting. Morrissey said at that meeting that he "supports concealed carry on a professional level and on a personal level." So I think we should extend our hand to welcome Mayor Morrissey into the ranks of those who support concealed carry.

During that meeting Mayor Morrissey was asked if he is currently a member of Mayors Against Illegal Guns. He stated that he is indeed a member - but Mayor Morrissey also stated if he learns that the MAIG is against concealed carry - that he would renounce his membership.

A very good article with pictures of the meeting can be found here.

Molly, back in 82 I still had my ffl and lived within the city limits of Rockford. At that time there was talk of it, I contacted the police department at that time and thay said it was in consideration. I voiced my opposition at it but of course back then we didn't have the social media. Social media can be used both ways for good and for evil. I ended up closing up, moving out of the city limits and the was the last I heard of it. This must of been pushed through along with Clinton's Assualt weapons ban is my guess. Those of us into guns in the 80's heard the terrible plastic gun that can't be seen on xrays, the Glock. As we all know that is totally false, but the "media" uses our words againist us at times.

One thing definatly needs to change, the term AW, Assualt Weapon, evil guns... Down here at Ft Hood, Acadamy Sports sells the "modern sporting rifles" this is how they are listed in their sale flyers. I think thats another way to help our cause, call them what they are. Down here they are hunting rifles, used more for hunting deer, hogs and varmits and used for sporting purposes. Rememeber only the miitary has actual assult rifles. Lets be honest and call them what they are, we aren't assualt anything, they however are assualting our 2nd' amendment rights.

After 17 years on the books gun crime and violent crime have increased to make Rockford one of the most violent cities in the state.

Interesting. I bought a handgun at MC Sports by Cherryvale a decade ago. I do not recall having to do a form for Rockford.

It is not like it has been enforced all that well. It may have been enacted while Rockford was a home rule community. I know it has been on the books a while.

After 17 years on the books gun crime and violent crime have increased to make Rockford one of the most violent cities in the state.

Interesting. I bought a handgun at MC Sports by Cherryvale a decade ago. I do not recall having to do a form for Rockford.

It is not like it has been enforced all that well. It may have been enacted while Rockford was a home rule community. I know it has been on the books a while.

mc sports is in Cherry Valley, Dicks on E State only sells long guns and then only hunting types. I know one dealer in town that deals out of his house and as of two years ago I didn't have to fill a card out.

One thing defiantly needs to change, the term AW, Assault Weapon, evil guns...

Absolutely. We are our own worst enemy when we use certain words or phrases that the media uses against us.

An example:

Gun crime IS violent crime!! But bby using the phrase "GUN crime" it demonizes the gun . . . . noy the criminal. Same goes for "gun violence."

A big reason most people in Illinois are scared of concealed carry is because for years they've heard and read in the paper that "carrying a concealed weapon" is something that criminals do.

That's one of the biggest hurdles we will have to clear to get concealed carry in Illinois.

I bought a 20 guage mossberg from the local Dicks about a year ago(Yorkville). I vividly remember filling out a small sheet similar to this. I was told that it was for internal purposes only. I didn't really think anything of it at the time. Maybe I was blindsided by the deal I was getting on the gun. I will have to pull the file out tonight and see what I can find...

Huh - I never knew that. I bought a Remington 870 at Gander last year (I usually avoid the place like the plague because of their ridiculous pricing but somehow they had the specific 870 I wanted in stock for the same price that everyone else could order it for). I never saw the form - but then again it wasn't a handgun.

Still need to visit Kenny's new store though...

I know the OP posted "The city of Rockford wants anyone purchasing a HANDGUN to fill out a registration card" but i noticed on the Card,under "TYPE",it also includes....Rifle,Shotgun,Combination over/under too.Now they have me wondering What the hey!!!?

Just another reason never to shop at Gander. In the Rockford area go see Kenny at kapguns

Boog

I was in Kenny's shop for the first time Wednesday of this week. A very, Very nice shop, I must say! Kenny's dad, Ken was there and he likes to keep the laughter going so it was a fun time. And he's got a fair sized inventory there and it's growing. And next week, A friend of mine and I are going to utilize the state of the art gun range they have at KAP guns! I'm very much looking forward to this as it will be the first time I've shot since my horrendous accident!

And I see he has a good stock of Frog lube there, too!

Archived