Beretta 92 trigger reach

MrTriple

I was considering getting a Beretta 92, but stopped when I read about the insanely long DA trigger reach. One review put it at 2.9", which is very long for me considering my hand size and the thickness of the grip.

Now I haven't had an opportunity to shoot or dry fire one, only handle it (why do stores insist on putting trigger locks on the guns in the case?) so I can't confirm these claims, but I was hoping if someone else could. The gun fits very well in my hands otherwise, like it's custom tailored to fit me (hence my interest, plus the fact that it's a sexy gun).

As far as benchmarks are concerned, I've previously shot or dry-fired M&P 2.0's, Glock 19s and 21s, Colt Police Positives, and Taurus 38 specials.

I dont know about the length of the trigger reach but it was too much for my small hand. I had one years ago and got rid of it because of the trigger reach And the grip thickness as you mentioned. It wasnt comfortable at all for me.

I sold one and regretted the decision.

Now I have one again. What I'd suggest is to get some ultra thin VZ grips with the gun. And a D spring. That will slim the profile a bit and make the double action pull manageable.

The grips are on sale right now at Wilson Combat. They sell the D spring too. Buy all at once to save on shipping.

If you want to go further, get a 13 pound hammer spring and the Wilson short reach trigger. The short reach trigger shaves another 1/8th off the reach but it changes the geometry which makes the pull heavier...so the 13 pound hammer spring puts you back to D spring (16 pound) pull.

A D spring is normally good for an 8 pound double action trigger pull and 5 pound single action. Even if the pull is longish, the lesser weight (factory is 12ish) makes it manageable.

I was considering getting a Beretta 92, but stopped when I read about the insanely long DA trigger reach

You could probably have a 92 worked on to attain a shorter trigger reach or an SAO trigger. My CZs once had a trigger reach that was too long to my liking. Now they don't. Turns out that a short trigger/slender grip combo suits me well.

You might take a look at similar guns, CZ 75, BHP, Sig P226.

How's the break point and reset point once in single action? If predictable/feelable I don't think the long trigger pull would bother me.

The 92 has been a gun on my want list ever since I was a kid watching 90's action movies.

I bought mine a couple years ago for close to the same reason, just always wanted one with it being the military standard issue sidearm.

I replaced a few parts right off the bat starting with tossing the D spring in, the Wilson Combat grips, and the short reach trigger from them. I intended on going further with it, and adding on more WC parts, but decided against spending more money on it for negligible improvement.

The one thing I dislike most about the gun is that you can't replace the front sight on them. So you're stuck with a fairly wide, white dot front sight. I understand why they design it with a non replaceable front sight, so that it doesn't break off in combat, but it would be nice to be able to add a more narrow front sight with a fiberoptic.

It's an accurate gun, reliable, and aside from it's slight quirks, it's definitely worth owning one over a Glock, since they're pretty comparable in price. One of the quirks is that if you're an overhand racker when you run the gun dry, there is a possibility of hitting the safety and decocking the hammer, and coming down on a dead trigger. I've never had that happen, but it's a possibility. It seems like one of the only platforms where overhand racking is a disadvantage. They actually teach hitting the slide lock in boot camp, as the official method, but most instructors also tell people to overhand rack it because it's more reliable. My buddy was a pistol instructor in the Marines and said that after teaching the slide lock release method, he'd then tell everyone to forget that and use the overhand method since you'd rely more on that in combat than trying to find the slide release with gloves on.

If it's to add to your collection and check one off of a wanted list, it's worth it. I rarely if ever shoot mine, but it's nice to have it because when I do shoot it, it's fun.

ETA: OP, the Wilson Combat short reach trigger does seem to shorten how far your trigger finger has to reach for it, but it's not by a whole lot. My best advice is to find someone who has replaced theirs with that trigger and see if it is enough of a change to make it more comfortable for you.

The fix for the overhand rack that accidentally puts the gun on safe is the G type decocker. This simply decocks the pistol vs killing the trigger entirely so you come up with a double action pull instead of a brick. It used to be tough to find, but Beretta now sells the conversion kits on their website.

If you buy an M9A3 or a Wilson model, which admittedly costs more, you can get one with a replaceable front sight. I think the old brigadier models had that as well if you shop used. here's an example...http://mikelosacco.biz/beretta.html

The fix for the overhand rack that accidentally puts the gun on safe is the G type decocker. This simply decocks the pistol vs killing the trigger entirely so you come up with a double action pull instead of a brick. It used to be tough to find, but Beretta now sells the conversion kits on their website.

If you buy an M9A3 or a Wilson model, which admittedly costs more, you can get one with a replaceable front sight. I think the old brigadier models had that as well if you shop used. here's an example...http://mikelosacco.biz/beretta.html

The 92A1 model has a removable front and rear sight.

I was considering getting a Beretta 92, but stopped when I read about the insanely long DA trigger reach

You could probably have a 92 worked on to attain a shorter trigger reach or an SAO trigger. My CZs once had a trigger reach that was too long to my liking. Now they don't. Turns out that a short trigger/slender grip combo suits me well.

I've handled CZ 75s before comfortably, even in DA, as well as an airsoft replica of the Sig P226 E2 without any problems. If the Beretta's trigger reach is the same as these, then I know I'll be fine with the Beretta.

I've handled CZ 75s before comfortably, even in DA, as well as an airsoft replica of the Sig P226 E2 without any problems. If the Beretta's trigger reach is the same as these, then I know I'll be fine with the Beretta.

I have two nearly identical CZs. One has the stock trigger and thin grips. The second has an enhanced shorter reach trigger with thicker (gorgeous!) cocobolo grips. At the range last week I found it more comfortable to DA fire the longer reach trigger with the thin grips. I will swap out the grips before I hit the range again.

That would be a must have, I've never gotten the point of a safety on a DA/SA. Just decock it. Otherwise there's always a 50/50 chance the gun won't fire when you want it to and will fire when you don't want it to.

That would be a must have, I've never gotten the point of a safety on a DA/SA. Just decock it. Otherwise there's always a 50/50 chance the gun won't fire when you want it to and will fire when you don't want it to.

I think in the early days for Da/Sa pistols people were coming off SA cocked and locked pistol carry. Having the safety was necessary to convince people the new DA/SA was safe to carry. A few of the DA/SA pistols like the HK USP allowed cocked and locked or decocked and depend of double action to provide a margin of safety. Then the DAO with no safety came to be. Then Glock came on the scene and changed everything.

Find a real gun store that will let you pull the trigger. I advise my students to avoid farm stores that sell guns as a sideline unless they will allow you to try the trigger press. If they will not allow you to "test drive" the firearm or return it if you don`t like it, take your business elsewhere. Test drive that Beretta and I think you will like it.

GAT has two different 92s in their unbelievable rental rack. The newer model, which is some brown color, has by far the best ignition system on any 92 I've ever tried.

We have a 92 in our training fleet because we used to get military people who needed proficiency improvement.

We just about never shoot the gun outside of classes, because we both dislike the trigger a lot. That goes double for the DA. And yes, the trigger reach is really long.

We have gotten a surprising number of 92 shooters in our intermediate and advanced classes who've simply have never operated their guns in DA. Quite a few actually are unaware of the need to decock; they go to the range, get in the booth, chamber a round from the mag and blaze away.

I can recall at least three Holster class guys who couldn't decock because they didn't know how, but we don't let cocked guns in holsters and have a tough time getting them to do it right.

All that anectodery aside, the 92 is often popular in our "Gun Buffet" class because it's so comfortable to shoot. That big wide fat grip is comfortable during recoil, and the slide racking effort is modest due to the design. If it wasn't for that infernal decocker lever on the slide, it might be the easiest 9 to rack of all besides the gas-operated guns.

We're no fans of the SA trigger but it's not too hard to master. I also hearken back to USPSA Grand Masters Ben Stoeger and our Chicagoland friend Les Kismartoni. These guys can win almost anything with their 92s, so the platform can work right.

Rent one, GAT's or 355's, and many other places. Your mileage will vary.

So I handled a full-sized and "compact" 92 tonight and I was pleasantly surprised. The DA trigger was easy to reach and actuate, far more so than I thought, and was smooth, if "slacky". The compact 92 also fit my hand very well, and was easier to grip than the full-sized 92.

This was compared against a Sig P2022. The 2022 had a better trigger and felt very nice in the hand, and felt well-made. And while I liked it, I still think I preferred the Compact over the 2022. There is a certain "something" about a Beretta.

Also tried an 84, which felt amazing, although I don't know if I'd really want a .380, not sure if it'd be much fun to shoot or not.

Archived