Quick Reference List: Gun Bills in 2011/2012 session

45superman

How the $* did I miss that one?! Thanks, Hatchet, and sorry, everyone, that I dropped the ball on that. I'll go through the Senate bills again, to make sure I didn't miss any others I'm responsible for.

I'm also flagging bills on my site, and periodically cross-checking against this list. So between all of us, I'm sure we'll get catch them all.

I'm still somewhat new to this forum so pardon my ignorance but is this saying there will be a bill this year to have CC in Il? A few years back when I was living in Il I never followed politics much (I was 18 years old had other "important" things on my mind) but I'll be back for good this time next year. Keep up the fight and let me know what I can do to help, this forum has been a great help over the past few months.

I'm still somewhat new to this forum so pardon my ignorance but is this saying there will be a bill this year to have CC in Il? A few years back when I was living in Il I never followed politics much (I was 18 years old had other "important" things on my mind) but I'll be back for good this time next year. Keep up the fight and let me know what I can do to help, this forum has been a great help over the past few months.

there have been CC bills posted for numerous years now... but each year we get one vote closer...

Actually, there have been bills for "CC" (we like to call it Right To Carry or RTC) in IL for several years. In the past there has never been enough support to get it debated or voted on. This year, with two Supreme Court rulings, several pending court cases, an election and a lot of effort by everyone involved, we think we have a shot at getting a vote on it this year.

Stick around this forum. Legislative session starts next week. As bills come up that need our support or opposition, there will be "calls to action" posted here. Phone calls and faxes to selected legislators let them know our feelings on pending legislation.

Welcome to Illinois Carry, we're glad to have you here.

AB

HB401 through HB600 are all shell bills.

HB430 - HB432 inclusive touch on the Peace Officer Fire Investigation act which, in part, authorizes fire investigators to "carry weapon(s) as may be necessary". These will probably amount to nothing from a Right to Carry point of view but seemed worth mentioning.

HB455 - HB456 inclusive amends the Lobbyist Registration Act. If anyone here knows any lobbyists they might want to watch these.

HB401 through HB600 are all shell bills.

HB430 - HB432 inclusive touch on the Peace Officer Fire Investigation act which, in part, authorizes fire investigators to "carry weapon(s) as may be necessary". These will probably amount to nothing from a Right to Carry point of view but seemed worth mentioning.

HB455 - HB456 inclusive amends the Lobbyist Registration Act. If anyone here knows any lobbyists they might want to watch these.

Thanks, Mauserme. I'm leaving HB 430-432 off the list for now, but if anyone thinks I should include 'em, I will.

I have included some bills that don't seem to have anything to do with guns, but because they deal with sections of Illinois law that affect us (430, 520, 525, and 720), and since they were introduced by Madigan, I included them anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

SB 876 - Shell bill - Cullerton (D)

Amends the Firearm Owners Identification Card Act. Makes a technical change in the Section relating to grounds for denying an application for and for revoking and seizing a Firearm Owner's Identification Card.

SB 878 - Shell bill - Cullerton (D)

Amends the Firearm Owners Identification Card Act. Makes a technical change in a Section concerning notification of dispositions of certain criminal cases.

SB 879 - Shell bill - Cullerton (D)

Amends the Firearm Owners Identification Card Act. Makes a technical change in a Section concerning a legislative declaration.

SB 1032 - Shell bill - Cullerton (D)

Amends the Criminal Code of 1961. Makes a technical change in a Section concerning the use of force in defense of a person.

SB 1040 - Shell bill - Cullerton (D)

Amends the Criminal Code of 1961. Makes a technical change in a Section concerning justification in the use of force against another person in defense of a dwelling.

Ones highlighted in red seem bad. Very VERY bad.

HB 1162 - VEH CD-ATM VEHICLES/FIREARMS - Morthland ( R )

Amends the Illinois Vehicle Code. Provides that no person, except persons permitted by law, shall operate or ride any all-terrain vehicle or off-highway motorcycle with any firearm in his or her possession unless he or she is in compliance with certain provisions of the Deadly Weapons Article of the Criminal Code of 1961 (rather than the Wildlife Code). Effective immediately.

HB 1163 - WILDLIFE-POWDER CARTRIDGES - Morthland ( R )

Amends the Wildlife Code. Provides for the use of black powder cartridges during the open deer season for muzzleloading rifles. Effective immediately.

HB 1188 - DISABLED OFFICERS-WEAPONS - Harris (D)

Amends the State Police Act, Counties Code, and Illinois Municipal Code. Authorizes any State Police officer, sheriff, deputy sheriff, or municipal peace officer who is on duty disability to carry a concealed weapon. Authorizes the summary revocation or suspension of such an authorization. Provides that neither a revocation or suspension of authorization to carry a concealed weapon nor the failure to revoke or suspend such an authorization may be used to determine whether an officer is fit for duty or to establish the liability of the Department of State Police, a county, or a municipality for the actions of a duty disabled officer. Provides that neither the ability of a duty disabled officer to meet the minimum mandatory annual active duty and retired officer handgun qualification course of fire requirements nor any other demonstration of ability or fitness required under these provisions may be used to assess whether that officer is qualified for active duty. Limits the concurrent exercise of home rule powers. Defines "duty disabled Department of State Police Officer", "duty disabled sheriff", "duty disabled deputy sheriff", and "duty disable municipal peace officer". Effective immediately.

HB 1294 - CRIM CD-ASSAULT WEAPON-PROHIB - Acevedo (D)

Amends the Criminal Code of 1961. Provides that 90 days after the effective date of this amendatory Act, it is unlawful for any person within this State to knowingly manufacture, deliver, sell, purchase, or possess or cause to be manufactured, delivered, sold, purchased, or possessed a semi-automatic assault weapon, an assault weapon attachment, any .50 caliber rifle, or .50 caliber cartridge. Provides that beginning 90 days after the effective date of this amendatory Act, it is unlawful for any person within this State to knowingly manufacture, deliver, sell, purchase, or possess or cause to be manufactured, delivered, sold, purchased, or possessed a large capacity ammunition feeding device. Provides that these provisions do not apply to a person who possessed a prohibited weapon, device, or attachment before the effective date of this amendatory Act if the person has provided proof of ownership to the Department of State Police within 90 days after the effective date of this amendatory Act. Provides that on or after the effective date of this amendatory Act, such person may transfer such device only to an heir, an individual residing in another state maintaining that device in another state, or a dealer licensed as a federal firearms dealer. Specifies penalties for violations. Provides exemptions. Provides that the provisions of the Act are severable. Effective immediately.

HB 1296 - FOID CARD ACT-PRIVATE SALE - Osterman (D)

Amends the Firearm Owners Identification Card Act. Provides that a person who is not a federally licensed importer, manufacturer, or dealer and who desires to sell or transfer a firearm of a size that may be concealed upon the person to another person, who is not a federally licensed importer, manufacturer, or dealer, shall do so only at the place of business of a federally licensed firearm dealer. Provides that the federally licensed firearm dealer shall conduct a background check on the prospective recipient of the firearm and follow all other applicable federal, State, and local laws as if he or she were the seller of the firearm. Provides that the purchaser or transferee may be required by the federally licensed firearm dealer to pay a fee not to exceed $10 per firearm, plus other authorized fees. Makes exceptions for (i) the transfer of a firearm between spouses, a parent and child, or other family members, (ii) transfers by persons acting pursuant to operation of law or a court order, or (iii) transfers on the grounds of a gun show. Provides that the Department of State Police shall develop an Internet based system for individuals to request the Department of State Police to conduct an instant criminal background check prior to the sale or transfer of a handgun. Provides that the Department of State Police shall have the system completed and available for use by July 1, 2012.

Just to be clear - I haven't been going through all the bills (just looking at an auto-generated list). So it's quite possible some fell through the cracks.

So it wasn't dropping the ball Drylok. These were only just filed today or yesterday... so you, me and other volunteers still need to go through our blocks bill-by-bill to be certain.

I was just posting the auto-detected ones to make peoples lives easier, but I can refrain from doing that; I don't want to step on anyone's toes or cause any confusion.

Just to be clear - I haven't been going through all the bills (just looking at an auto-generated list). So it's quite possible some fell through the cracks.

So it wasn't dropping the ball Drylok. These were only just filed today or yesterday... so you, me and other volunteers still need to go through our blocks bill-by-bill to be certain.

I was just posting the auto-detected ones to make peoples lives easier, but I can refrain from doing that; I don't want to step on anyone's toes or cause any confusion.

I think what you're doing is very helpful, and greatly appreciate it.

And Drylok, I want to echo what Mstrat said--when the General Assembly goes days (weeks, sometimes) without posting any new bills, and then post many hundreds in one day, it's not at all easy to keep up, so don't beat yourself up over not having caught those.

Another thing Mstrat is 100% right about is the need to go through the bills "by hand," even after we've seen the ones from the automatically generated list. It's a pretty slick algorithm, but there's no substitute for human eyes on the bills.

Guys looks like we got us an Ammunition tax HB-1274

looks like they want to tax us to pay for the hospitals

Well sure!! It's only fair that the gangbangers pay a little extra when they buy their ammo down at the Walmart so that the hospitals are better prepared to deal with the people they shoot that evening!!

"High Crime Trauma Center Grant Fund" Let the law abiding gun owners and sportsmen of the state pay to patch up the criminals, 'bangers and innocents that are shot in the City. Thought the cameras that are in the news right now were supposed to stop that!! Oh, yeah. They don't stop crime, just make it easier to pick up those responsible. So they can have their hands slapped and turned back on the street.

Unbelievable!!

HB 1296 - FOID CARD ACT-PRIVATE SALE - Osterman (D)

Amends the Firearm Owners Identification Card Act. Provides that a person who is not a federally licensed importer, manufacturer, or dealer and who desires to sell or transfer a firearm of a size that may be concealed upon the person to another person, who is not a federally licensed importer, manufacturer, or dealer, shall do so only at the place of business of a federally licensed firearm dealer. Provides that the federally licensed firearm dealer shall conduct a background check on the prospective recipient of the firearm and follow all other applicable federal, State, and local laws as if he or she were the seller of the firearm. Provides that the purchaser or transferee may be required by the federally licensed firearm dealer to pay a fee not to exceed $10 per firearm, plus other authorized fees. Makes exceptions for (i) the transfer of a firearm between spouses, a parent and child, or other family members, (ii) transfers by persons acting pursuant to operation of law or a court order, or (iii) transfers on the grounds of a gun show. Provides that the Department of State Police shall develop an Internet based system for individuals to request the Department of State Police to conduct an instant criminal background check prior to the sale or transfer of a handgun. Provides that the Department of State Police shall have the system completed and available for use by July 1, 2012.

Yea, good luck with that.

Isn't that the same "understaffed" department that can't even issue a worthless hunk of plastic in under a month??

i see some movement of HB0112

1/12/2011 House Filed with the Clerk by Rep. Michael Unes

1/12/2011 House First Reading

1/12/2011 House Referred to Rules Committee

2/8/2011 House Added Chief Co-Sponsor Rep. Keith P. Sommer

2/8/2011 House Added Co-Sponsor Rep. Jil Tracy

2/8/2011 House Added Co-Sponsor Rep. Norine Hammond

2/8/2011 House Assigned to Agriculture & Conservation Committee

2/9/2011 House Added Chief Co-Sponsor Rep. Lisa M. Dugan

i didnt follow last year but i think its a good thing it was signed to the Agriculture & Conservation Committee and the chairperson Lisa M. Dugan (D) was then added as a sponsor...

and HB0148 just keeps growing...

1/13/2011 House Filed with the Clerk by Rep. Brandon W. Phelps

1/18/2011 House First Reading

1/18/2011 House Referred to Rules Committee

1/20/2011 House Added Chief Co-Sponsor Rep. Daniel V. Beiser

1/21/2011 House Added Chief Co-Sponsor Rep. Dan Reitz

2/8/2011 House Added Chief Co-Sponsor Rep. Patrick J. Verschoore

2/8/2011 House Added Co-Sponsor Rep. Lisa M. Dugan

2/8/2011 House Added Co-Sponsor Rep. John E. Bradley

2/8/2011 House Added Co-Sponsor Rep. Thomas Holbrook

2/8/2011 House Added Co-Sponsor Rep. Richard Morthland

2/8/2011 House Added Chief Co-Sponsor Rep. David Reis

2/8/2011 House Added Co-Sponsor Rep. Jil Tracy

2/8/2011 House Added Co-Sponsor Rep. Norine Hammond

2/8/2011 House Assigned to Agriculture & Conservation Committee

2/9/2011 House Added Co-Sponsor Rep. Keith P. Sommer

2/9/2011 House Added Co-Sponsor Rep. John D. Cavaletto

for alot of the early house firearm bills..

Hearing Scheduled for Feb 15, 2011

http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/BillStatus.asp?DocNum=1910&GAID=11&DocTypeID=SB&LegId=58039&SessionID=84&GA=97

I'm not sure how to classify this one: SB1910

Provides that the unlawful use of weapons provision that prohibits the possession of any device or attachment of any kind designed, used, or intended for use in silencing the report of any firearm does not apply to or affect Full time peace officers of any duly authorized police agency of the State or of any political subdivision of the State who have received advanced, specialized training to deal with high risk incidents including, but not limited to, hostage or barricade incidents, or both, search and arrest warrants, and manhunts, and are serving as part of a Special Emergency Response Team (SERT), Tactical Response Team (TRT) or Special Weapons and Tactics (SWAT) team comprised of a group of officers. Effective immediately.

SB1940

Amends the Criminal Code of 1961. Provides that it is a Class 2 felony (rather than a Class 3 felony) to knowingly sell or give a firearm to a person who has been convicted of a felony or to a person under 18 years of age who does not possess a valid Firearm Owner's Identification Card. Effective immediately.

Archived