What's the prefered 1911 barrel length for carry?

Buzzard

Buzz,

I don't know what your budget is but you should check out Rock Island. I've been passively checking out their 3.5" model. They can be had on GB for around $400 all day long. http://www.gunbroker...?Item=172272459

I can't comment too much on them but I've read a little about them & it was all positive.

That is SO tempting! I'd love to have the Colt New Agent being 10 oz. lighter and 1/5" shorter but it's almost twice the price of the RIA.

My next carry gun will be the Glock 36 or the Colt Defender depending on how much over time we get. Gotta do something soon before the stark drops off a baby Drylok (or two).

Buzz, the Colt Defender rocks on with its bad self!

Nothing says "Welcome to this world baby Drylok!" like a Colt! thumbsup.png

Buzz,

I don't know what your budget is but you should check out Rock Island. I've been passively checking out their 3.5" model. They can be had on GB for around $400 all day long. http://www.gunbroker...?Item=172272459

I can't comment too much on them but I've read a little about them & it was all positive.

That is SO tempting! I'd love to have the Colt New Agent being 10 oz. lighter and 1/5" shorter but it's almost twice the price of the RIA.

Tell me about it! If the Rock Island was offered in a 3" bbl, it would be in the other room right now...and @ 1/2 the cost, I'd probably pick up a full size too! :headbang1:

Well, I'm just about talked into a Defender. Now, I just need to figure out how to pay for it. (Without trading something I would rather keep.) Damn economy!

I'm so p***** at my Taurus that I'm going to trade in and never look back. Sum body tried to warn me this would happen but I didn't head their advise. :headbang1:

I've got a 3" Colt Defender in stainless. I like the way it shoots, funtions with all ammo. Accuracy is fine for self defense distances, it ain't a 50 yard gun, but that's not what it was bought for.

Carries well in a Don Hume IWB, a Bullard IWB or a Bullard OWB.

AB

Yes, I'm hip to the "seven yards" thing. I guess I'm just funny about sacrificing sight radius for conceal-ability. That, and the three inch guns look like part of the barrel was left at the factory.

Oh, I don't know, I think it's kinda' sexy!! This is a file photo, I took the Hogue wraparound grips off and replaced them with Kimber hard rubber. Also added some "non-skid" tape to the front strap. If we ever get together near a range or shooting place, you're welcome to wring it out!!

post-661-127543984544.jpg

It's soooooo cute, comfortable and reliable :headbang1:

Well, I'm just about talked into a Defender. Now, I just need to figure out how to pay for it. (Without trading something I would rather keep.) Damn economy!

I'm so p***** at my Taurus that I'm going to trade in and never look back. Sum body tried to warn me this would happen but I didn't head their advise. ph34r.gif

What happened with the Taurus?

I'm so p***** at my Taurus that I'm going to trade in and never look back. Sum body tried to warn me this would happen but I didn't head their advise. ph34r.gif

Gee......I wonder who that guy was!whistle.png

I've got a 3" Colt Defender in stainless. I like the way it shoots, funtions with all ammo. Accuracy is fine for self defense distances, it ain't a 50 yard gun, but that's not what it was bought for.

Carries well in a Don Hume IWB, a Bullard IWB or a Bullard OWB.

AB

Yes, I'm hip to the "seven yards" thing. I guess I'm just funny about sacrificing sight radius for conceal-ability. That, and the three inch guns look like part of the barrel was left at the factory.

Oh, I don't know, I think it's kinda' sexy!! This is a file photo, I took the Hogue wraparound grips off and replaced them with Kimber hard rubber. Also added some "non-skid" tape to the front strap. If we ever get together near a range or shooting place, you're welcome to wring it out!!

post-661-127543984544.jpg

It's soooooo cute, comfortable and reliable ;)

"Comfortable and reliable" would be qualities I would welcome. But I've never looked for "cute" in a gun.

This article says the .45 and 9mm are about the same as far as stopping power goes with the .45 having a little bit of an edge. But these are full size .45's with 5" barrels and both guns using standard pressure loads. There are also a lot of sites available that will tell you how much velocity you'll lose with a 3" barrel. Probably enough loss of speed that it would be less effective than a 9mm. To make up for that loss, it seems like you would have to go to a +p .45 load. That's got to be a handfull in a light weight aluminum frame .45.

You wouldn't lose quite as much velocity with a 3 1/2" barrel and a steel frame might tame the recoil of a +p load.

There, I think I did it. I convinced myself to get the RIA Compact. Drunk%20emoticon.gif

+1 for the Springfield Micro Compact in .45

I also have the full size mil spec as well. Micro for dress type clothes and the mil spec for jeans. What I do like is they weigh about the same and use the same holster. Jimmy in St. Louis makes them @ KHolster. I have trimmed the leather to fit the full size mil spec.

http://kholster.com/images/IMG_3347.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

I carried a full size Kimber .45 everyday for 2 years before I moved back to IL. I used a slide holster under a sweatshirt or suit in the winter, or open carried. In the summer I used an IWB holster or just the slide holster though you have to be careful about the barrel and grip sticking out if you bend over or are seated. If I really wanted to conceal I would sometimes carry in the small of my back without a holster, which is virtually impossible to see. Carried many times in places I technically shouldn't have (it isn't a criminal offense in MO to carry in most "restricted" places) and no one was ever the wiser, even other gun guys and leos.

I am by no means a big guy, 5'10 175, so it can definitely be done. I found it easier to conceal than some smaller double stack pistols.

• 4 weeks later...

On my last vacation I carrier my Kimber Warrior, felt great, no problems. Only time I noticed the weight is when I was in the bathroom at a rest stop, haha. I did wear it around the house in the holster a few times with a normal belt and the weight was more noticeable. Once I had the free time to go buy a reinforced belt for carry, any weighty feel went away (I went with a Blackhawk CQC Belt and Galco IWB Holster). A nice loose shirt that's long enough to cover when you move around and pick a good position for the holster and you should be fine carrying full size, the 1911 is slimmer than a lot of other pistols out there anyway.

Unless I bend over in a way to tighten my shirt over the gun you can't tell it's there.

Archived