Get a Permit from another state threads

Chris

Question for anyone out there. I had a PA permit from Centre Co that expired. I am from the St Louis metro east area and at the Belleville Shooting Range they are pushing the FL permit. With class and cost of permit it will be 300 bucks and two month wait. I am considering driving to PA instead to save money and time. What is the closest PA county that will issue NR permits? I am looking at possibly Wesmorland Co. BTW I want the permit to carry in MO, TN, KY and IN only, those are the only states I visit.

Be careful on what they push. GOOD group of guys at the shop - but they know very little about pushing people in the right direction. I would go for the AZ license, that is where I got mine. $65 and about 3 weeks and I had it in hand. You can take an NRA course anywhere so if you don't HAVE to pay $125...then DON'T pay $125. Sometimes, these guys develop classes to fit a niche and charge high fees...I took all my training classes in the KC, MO area and paid half the cost. IMHO of course. Enjoy! I'm here with you in the metro-East area.

Question for anyone out there. I had a PA permit from Centre Co that expired. I am from the St Louis metro east area and at the Belleville Shooting Range they are pushing the FL permit. With class and cost of permit it will be 300 bucks and two month wait. I am considering driving to PA instead to save money and time. What is the closest PA county that will issue NR permits? I am looking at possibly Wesmorland Co. BTW I want the permit to carry in MO, TN, KY and IN only, those are the only states I visit.

Be careful on what they push. GOOD group of guys at the shop - but they know very little about pushing people in the right direction. I would go for the AZ license, that is where I got mine. $65 and about 3 weeks and I had it in hand. You can take an NRA course anywhere so if you don't HAVE to pay $125...then DON'T pay $125. Sometimes, these guys develop classes to fit a niche and charge high fees...I took all my training classes in the KC, MO area and paid half the cost. IMHO of course. Enjoy! I'm here with you in the metro-East area.

Good to bump into someone in my area. Update - I have signed up for an NRA course in Collinsville that is a week from today for $125. I talked the the instructor, who also is doing FL permits, about the AZ and he didn't know much about it but was very interested in AZ after we spoke. I ordered my packet from AZ and maybe I will have it in time for the course, if not shortly after. AZ was very nice to me on the phone and said they accept the NRA basic pistol course.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone gotten a North Dakota LTC? It looks like you'd have to go there and take an exam from an instructor, they can charge up to $50 and the LTC costs $45 for 5 years it is good in most states Florida is except Florida if you are a non-resident. A plus it is good in Wisconsin.

AZ is good in WI, not good in MN. It's $60 for 5 years, fingerprinting, no photo. As for training:

N. An applicant shall demonstrate competence with a firearm through any of the following:

1. Completion of any firearms safety or training course or class that is available to the general public, that is offered by a law enforcement agency, a junior college, a college or a private or public institution, academy, organization or firearms training school and that is approved by the department of public safety or that uses instructors who are certified by the national rifle association.

2. Completion of any hunter education or hunter safety course approved by the Arizona game and fish department or a similar agency of another state.

3. Completion of any national rifle association firearms safety or training course.

4. Completion of any law enforcement firearms safety or training course or class that is offered for security guards, investigators, special deputies or other divisions or subdivisions of law enforcement or security enforcement and that is approved by the department of public safety.

5. Evidence of current military service or proof of honorable discharge or general discharge under honorable conditions from the United States armed forces.

6. A valid current or expired concealed weapon, firearm or handgun permit or license that is issued by another state or a political subdivision of another state and that has a training or testing requirement for initial issuance.

7. Completion of any governmental police agency firearms training course and qualification to carry a firearm in the course of normal police duties.

8. Completion of any other firearms safety or training course or class that is conducted by a department of public safety approved or national rifle association certified firearms instructor.

Most reasonable requirement I've seen to date. They advise that the time frame for issue is 6-8 weeks at this time.

• 1 month later...

I remember my AZ permit took just over a month. It was quicker than I thought it was gonna be. Utah took 45 days from they date they received it. Florida is taking forever. They received my application October 26th, Jan 25th got a letter dated Jan 15th that my fingerprint card was rejected; they received my second copy on Feb 19th, still waiting for them.

BTW, you don't need to take a second course or an add on to get AZ's. I took Utah's and sent a photocopy of my Utah permit as proof of training to get AZs to satisfy their requirement. I can't see why it wouldn't work also if you used FLs permit as proof of training.

Thanks for the info, though I prefer papageorgio's answer over cowboybuckle's :-) Please let us know when they finally deliver.

I wonder if the backup is at State or Federal level. Either way it's probably a good indication of what Illinois' backlog will be like... X2

That's why the bill MUST include the provision to allow holders of permits from other States to carry for a year before being required to have an Illinois permit. Otherwise Illinois will end up back in Court, defending lawsuits over the delays that we know will happen, because this is Illinois.

BTW, you don't need to take a second course or an add on to get AZ's. I took Utah's and sent a photocopy of my Utah permit as proof of training to get AZs to satisfy their requirement. I can't see why it wouldn't work also if you used FLs permit as proof of training.

a copy of any permit that required training to receive will work for AZ.

6. A valid current or expired concealed weapon, firearm or handgun permit or license that is issued by another state or a political subdivision of another state and that has a training or testing requirement for initial issuance.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived