City of Chicago Assault weapon ban

AlphaKoncepts aka CGS

Ladies and gentlemen, I have reviewed 8.20 and 8.24 and I can't find the part Todd got them to add stating "nothing in this ordinance shall go against state law." However I can't seem to find that language.

Am I looking in the wrong spot?

http://library.amlegal.com/nxt/gateway.dll?f=id$id=0-0-0-2055792$t=document-frame.htm$3.0$p=

Those links generate errors for me.

me too! I found the section referenced but couldnt get a good link nor would it let me copy paste, at least from my current device.

edit http://library.amlegal.com/nxt/gateway.dll?f=templates$fn=default.htm$3.0$vid=amlegal:chicago_il_m

select 8-20-250 from the index that shows in link above

Actually, that worked for me

edit and now it does not, just sending me to index...weird

Ladies and gentlemen, I have reviewed 8.20 and 8.24 and I can't find the part Todd got them to add stating "nothing in this ordinance shall go against state law." However I can't seem to find that language.

http://library.amlegal.com/nxt/gateway.dll?f=id$id=0-0-0-2055792$t=document-frame.htm$3.0$p=

The link from post #8 worked for me just now.

8-20-250 Seizure and forfeiture of firearms, ammunition, laser sight accessories and firearm silencers and mufflers – Authority and destruction.

The superintendent has the authority to seize any firearm, assault weapon, ammunition, laser sight accessories, or firearm silencer or muffler carried or possessed in violation of this chapter or any applicable state or federal law. Such items are hereby declared contraband and shall be seized by and forfeited to the city.
Whenever any firearm, ammunition, laser sight accessories, or firearm silencer or muffler is surrendered or forfeited pursuant to the terms of this chapter, or any applicable state or federal law, the superintendent shall ascertain whether such firearm, ammunition, assault weapon, laser sight accessories, or firearm silencer or muffler is needed as evidence in any matter. All such items which are not required for evidence shall be destroyed at the direction of the superintendent; provided that those firearms and ammunition that the superintendent shall deem to be of use to the department may be retained for the use of the department. A record of the date and method of destruction and an inventory of the firearm or ammunition so destroyed shall be maintained.
Nothing in this section shall be construed to regulate any firearm or ammunition to the extent that such regulation is preempted.

The link from post #8 worked for me just now.

8-20-250 Seizure and forfeiture of firearms, ammunition, laser sight accessories and firearm silencers and mufflers – Authority and destruction.

The superintendent has the authority to seize any firearm, assault weapon, ammunition, laser sight accessories, or firearm silencer or muffler carried or possessed in violation of this chapter or any applicable state or federal law. Such items are hereby declared contraband and shall be seized by and forfeited to the city.
Whenever any firearm, ammunition, laser sight accessories, or firearm silencer or muffler is surrendered or forfeited pursuant to the terms of this chapter, or any applicable state or federal law, the superintendent shall ascertain whether such firearm, ammunition, assault weapon, laser sight accessories, or firearm silencer or muffler is needed as evidence in any matter. All such items which are not required for evidence shall be destroyed at the direction of the superintendent; provided that those firearms and ammunition that the superintendent shall deem to be of use to the department may be retained for the use of the department. A record of the date and method of destruction and an inventory of the firearm or ammunition so destroyed shall be maintained.
Nothing in this section shall be construed to regulate any firearm or ammunition to the extent that such regulation is preempted.

Please pardon my ignorance gentlemen. I am wondering if someone could explain to me how this effects me and my family, living in the 606xx. I keep my AR at Maxons and try to stay one step ahead of this ever morphing attack on our 2A rights.

Thank you in advance for any clarity you may be able to shine my way.

WD

Wow major problems with the link. I wonder what happened.

Thanks sound guy, that was exactly what I was looking for. I scan-read too fast, and when using ctrl+f didn't use the right keywords. Thanks for the help.

Witchdoctor, you would have to read the preemption language contained within the Firearm Owner Identification Card and Illinois Firearm Concealed Carry Licensing acts. I can link if you want, but basically says that all handgun bans are null and void and become the sole function of the state. However long gun bans (revised within 10 days after concealed carry passed) are still intact. Therefore your AR15 would still be illegal in Chicago.

Please pardon my ignorance gentlemen. I am wondering if someone could explain to me how this effects me and my family, living in the 606xx. I keep my AR at Maxons and try to stay one step ahead of this ever morphing attack on our 2A rights.

Thank you in advance for any clarity you may be able to shine my way.

WD

If you are found to be violating any gun law, CPD may seize whatever it was that caused you to be in violation would be my simpleton take on it.

Probably, you will want to keep the AR at Maxons if you are concerned and wish to follow the letter of the law.

We have been dealing with this in Chicago for a very long time... Things keep getting better. Really!

You might recall, not too long ago, keeping an unregistered handgun (because CPD would not register it) in the city could trigger a huge problem. Most Chicago gunners survived. Today, no more worries about the C.A.G.E. Unit showing up at your home. There were rumors that CPD watched who came and went from Gun World in Bensenville which was the closest range to me. I had a locker there until they closed for airport expansion. Or maybe some disagreeable neighbor or an ex-wife give them a call and rat you out.

Things are much better today and I might predict this trend will continue.

Gentlemen, thank you very much for making it understandable for a person such as myself. It seems as if nothing has really changed and if you abide by the law of the land you should be just fine.

My nine year old daughter made an interesting observation the other day after shooting. She said, "dad, people who shoot

are much more polite than those who don't."

Not sure what to make of it all, but interesting from a nine year old.

Again sirs, thank you for helping me to make some sense out of something that is crazy to begin with.

WD

Being preempted means that state law overrides local ordinance, so the opposite is true. Even though Chicago has a ban on some firearms, state law says firearm transport by a FOID holder is OK in spite of local ordinance.

Wonderful. A nice break for all of us who HAVE to live in the city. It is as bizarre as it can get. Thank you for helping trying to do what Merriam could not.

WD

Apparently the AWB in Chicago isn't even really enforced. It's mostly used as a tack-on charge for thugs.

All of my gun friends keep their ARs and AKs in the city and have been doing so for years. No problems, just keep it on the down low.

And by posting this, it's no longer down low. And you just admitted that your "gun friends" commited the crime. SMH.

Apparently the AWB in Chicago isn't even really enforced. It's mostly used as a tack-on charge for thugs.

All of my gun friends keep their ARs and AKs in the city and have been doing so for years. No problems, just keep it on the down low.

And by posting this, it's no longer down low. And you just admitted that your "gun friends" commited the crime. SMH.

Yet it wasnt totally ignored either. I recall a poster having LE in Chicago taking his ARs (but leaving the magazines). Dont know the outcome or if we got the full story at the time.

Being preempted means that state law overrides local ordinance, so the opposite is true. Even though Chicago has a ban on some firearms, state law says firearm transport by a FOID holder is OK in spite of local ordinance.

Just don't stop anywhere going through Chicago along the way...

I'm not sure about that stopping thing. What if you need gas, and stop. Violation? A Big Mac? Violation? Etc, etc, etc. I've never seen any guidance on this.

Archived