Moore/Shepard Ruling Announced

Molly B.

Well there will have to be a study! Which we know takes a year or more, then time to implement, etc. The funny thing is even if they pass the law by that date, it takes time to setup a licensing apparatus, people to staff it, forms to design, training, websites, etc. It generally takes months.

This is why I was shocked that the stay was only 180 days. I still cant believe it.

So a new law on conceal carry must be in effect by June 13th. When will we realistically be able to carry? 6 months after that maybe?

Well there will have to be a study! Which we know takes a year or more, then time to implement, etc. The funny thing is even if they pass the law by that date, it takes time to setup a licensing apparatus, people to staff it, forms to design, training, websites, etc. It generally takes months. So basically as of 6 months from today the AUUW and UUW laws are void, but if you cant get a license to carry because Illinois takes a year to do anything and then it takes 60 or 90 days to get your license (best case as FOIDs take that long now). Basically there is some crap going down 6 months from now. No way Illinois can pass and implement an actual CCW process and system in this time frame.

Thanks Ron. Anyone else have an opinion on this?

My my my

When I saw the news flash across drudge I was like :frantics: maybe even a little :hyper:

Congratulations to everyone who has been so busy at this the last few years.

Yes, I've been a slacker these last three years. I wonder if anyone even remembers me.

Oh, Dorvinion!!! It is so good to hear from you!! You have been missed . . .!!!

My name is Karl. Ive been watching from the sidelines for months and figured its a good time to say hello. Congratulations Illinois and everyone whos efforts brought us to this conclusion. This is one of the best days Ive had in a while!!

Welcome Karl. It is a good day indeed - I've got a feeling that "tomorrow's gonna be even better".

Excellent announcement! Victory! I just now got the news. Many people have been harmed and worse by Illinois's violation of our civil rights on this issue. When I sometimes hear complaints from people who don't like the Second Amendment, well, they should think of the people like our plaintiffs in this case, as well as the many other victims through the years. Perhaps they think their "feelings" are more important than that though.

Friends, in light of the recent decision by the US 7th District Circuit Court of Appeals it is not the time for compromise with regards to our 2nd amendment right to carry.

The Court has set a timer of 180 days until the district courts shall enjoin Illinois from enforcing its Big Brother styled laws on carrying firearms by the People of this state. We are now in a position to propose the BEST possible laws to protect our rights. If the legislature does not decide to agree, then none of the restrictions the court has struck down will apply. No restaurant ban, no gated areas of amusement parks would be banned, no private or public setting except as otherwise set out in Federal or uncontested state laws would exist. Our laws would not have a provision to allow any organization to ban the constitutional carrying of a firearm by the holder of a valid FOID card. In this light I would urge us to choose the best and most favorable laws from among the 50 states as our model. Don’t fall for a compromise offered by those who would, if not for the courts, continue to laude over you with unconstitutional laws. Now is the time to seek justice for the people without compromise.

I'd urge you not to roll over on this issue. The enemy is now disarmed, but only one bad law away from regaining the upper hand!

Thanks for reading. Your thoughts are welcome.

Well there will have to be a study! Which we know takes a year or more, then time to implement, etc. The funny thing is even if they pass the law by that date, it takes time to setup a licensing apparatus, people to staff it, forms to design, training, websites, etc. It generally takes months.

This is why I was shocked that the stay was only 180 days. I still cant believe it.

Oh they will pass a law in the time limit;you can bank on that.Otherwise law enforcement will have absolutly no power to arrest anyone with a FOID anywhere in the state.

My name is Karl. Ive been watching from the sidelines for months and figured its a good time to say hello. Congratulations Illinois and everyone whos efforts brought us to this conclusion. This is one of the best days Ive had in a while!!

Welcome, Karl!

Exciting times.......

Thanks for posting I have not yet read it either. The concluding sentence may be somewhat telling of the trajectory of the opinion ...

In the absence of clearer indication that the Second Amendment codified a generally recognized right to carry arms in public for self-defense, I would leave this judgment in the hands of the State of Illinois.

Careful. That was the concluding sentence of the dissenting opinion not the ruling.

IN TODD WE TRUST

That really is pretty damn good !

Glad you feel that way, even following the aftermath of his quite reasonable opinion that we should hold off on Donne Trotter's crucifixion.

Just because I disagreed with one thing Todd said doesn't mean I didn't agree with the other 1000.

Edited by vezpa

This is great news to hear everyone. I have been on the sidelines for quite sometime, and have posted very few times in the past months. A new job, getting out of school, cross-country move (now live in California for 18 months :no: , until my next move) , yadda yadda. I try my best to keep up with Illinois politics, especially those with the 2nd Amendment. One day I will make it back with family being there.

Best of luck in the fight and I will do my best to keep this effort moving forward. Thats what it takes and the various members of IllinoisCarry have proven this.

Cam

This is great news to hear everyone. I have been on the sidelines for quite sometime, and have posted very few times in the past months. A new job, getting out of school, cross-country move (now live in California for 18 months :no: , until my next move) , yadda yadda. I try my best to keep up with Illinois politics, especially those with the 2nd Amendment. One day I will make it back with family being there.

Best of luck in the fight and I will do my best to keep this effort moving forward. Thats what it takes and the various members of IllinoisCarry have proven this.

Cam

Hey Cam, congrats on finishing school, getting the new job, and seeing new/interesting places.

Thanks for stopping by - enjoy your travels and exploring the country! Stop out and see the Sierra Nevada if you haven't already. Yosemite is really nice in late May.

If its unconstitutional what can they charge you with?

They can STILL charge you with UUW/AggUUW!

That's what the "180 day" is in the ruling. Nothing changes until the Illinois Legislature passes a bill that's "effective immediately" and Gov. Quinn signs it. Either that or 180 days pass with nothing out of the Capital.

Yes they can still charge you... However they would be charging you with an unconstitutional law that is in effect "null and void." Not that that would stop them in many counties. I don't look for it to be an issue in Pike.

Regards, Drd

Edited by dmefford

Cam

I don't know you Cam, but I would recommend that you not move back to this state. We have won another battle but the war "ain't" over yet... You will be one of the legal non-resident who can buy guns and ammo in Illinois without a FOID card. Our FOID card stuff is not over with yet, although just as unconstitutional as the UUW.

Best wishes to you, Drd

Thanks for the well wishes folks. As far as moving back, if it happens that way, I will move to Indiana, Missouri or Kentucky, but until that time we will see what happens. I apologize for the thread hi-jack and back to the regularly scheduled programming.

Lets keep our head in the game and keep on pushing through.

Cam

Perhaps I should say that I have been contacted by KHQA TV again for comments. Also I have had some interviews with newspapers on the recent opinion. In essence I have stated what I have stated all along. Illinois has a complete ban on a fundamental right to keep AND BEAR arms. In essence my spiel is as follows... perhaps some suggestions from this group might add to my thoughts.

My comments:

This decision has absolutely nothing to do with concealed carry. It has everything to do with removing a complete ban of the right to “bear” arms "ready-to-use" in the public way. Presently in Illinois there is a complete ban on a fundamental right bear arms that are loaded and ready-to-use in the public way. That has been removed and left to the legislature to decide in what “reasonable” manner they will “allow” the “bearing” or carrying of firearms ready-to-use. There may also be some restriction allowed for so called “sensitive” places such as schools. I repeat the decision made NO DISTINCTION as to whether the form of carry was open or concealed that I could see.

In my opinion the phraseology of the second amendment is clear, “the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.” It says, “shall not be infringed.” The phrase "shall not be infringed" was not dealt with in any meaningful way in this decision. It never ceases to amaze me how you can educate the common sense right out of man and they can come up with such a load of hogwash from something as simple as, “shall not be infringed!”

As to the order of the court it says nothing about review by the court of any legislation in 180 days. The order will take affect regardless of anything the legislature passes or fails to pass. If the new law is onerous and oppressive and unconstitutional the whole thing starts again… from scratch…! Never underestimate the Chicago Machine when it gets into full press mode. I like the comment the justices made in Ezzel v. City of Chicago: "...Chicago is thumbing its municipal nose at the Supreme Court."

Nevertheless we will celebrate this day and a battle won but will not forget that the war for Liberty continues unabated... It must be won one battle at a time...

Regards, Drd