Transporting firearms and ammo in car.

Hanagan

I have a question concerning transporting firearms and ammo in a vehicle. ( personal Car )

If a person has a valid CCL, can they transport their firearms and ammo in a car they are driving ? Are the rules different for individuals not holding a valid CCL ?

I have a CCL, but choose not to carry on a daily basis. The main reason I have the permit is to avoid any legal issues as I travel to the range. I usually have several hand guns,rifles and a shotgun when I travel to a range. Can they all be loaded and ammo on the magazines ?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Hanagan

No..

CCL: ok for loaded Handguns
Not ok to have loaded rifles/shotguns.

You can have loaded magazines for rifle but can not be in the rifle and I would store them separate from the rifle

Non CCL all guns unloaded and cased, out of reach, in your trunk or rear of vehicle is best, you can have loaded magazines but not in the guns, use separate bag/case

NRA-ILA guide to interstate transportation of firearms

https://www.nraila.org/articles/20150101/guide-to-the-interstate-transportation

I'm not sure about long guns after reading the above post.

If you have a valid Illinois CCL on you, handguns can all be loaded with ammo in the magazines and ready to fire.

However, most commercial ranges will not let you bring loaded guns, except for your concealed carry gun.

Load your magazines at home to save time on the range, put the mags in the appropriate gun case with the gun and insert them into the gun at the range when you are ready to shoot. This is also what I have done before CCL when transporting to the range or wherever using a FOID.

In Illinois... the magazine may be loaded and in the same case as the gun, but it cannot be loaded and in the gun.

Bullets in the gun = loaded even if there is not one in the chamber ready to fire.

Other states have different rules, often more strict.

I would like to thank all who have responded to my question, and I want to clarify something I wrote in my original post.

I have never transported loaded long guns in my vehicle, and I did not intend to ask if that was allowable. I recognize that would probably be against the rules and just not a good idea.

When I travel to a range, either indoor or outdoor, I usually have many filled magazines for use in the firearms I am transporting. Besides those filled magazines, I have additional ammo.

My real question had to do with the proximity of the ammo and the firearms. Could they be in the same case or the same part of my vehicle ? Do the firearms need to be disassembled or broken down in any way ?

It appears that by having the CCL, I have a bit more flexibility in how I can legally transport my firearms.

With the help I received here, I believe I know the proper procedure.

Hanagan

I would like to thank all who have responded to my question, and I want to clarify something I wrote in my original post.

I have never transported loaded long guns in my vehicle, and I did not intend to ask if that was allowable. I recognize that would probably be against the rules and just not a good idea.

When I travel to a range, either indoor or outdoor, I usually have many filled magazines for use in the firearms I am transporting. Besides those filled magazines, I have additional ammo.

My real question had to do with the proximity of the ammo and the firearms. Could they be in the same case or the same part of my vehicle ? Do the firearms need to be disassembled or broken down in any way ?

It appears that by having the CCL, I have a bit more flexibility in how I can legally transport my firearms.

With the help I received here, I believe I know the proper procedure.

Hanagan

This is not intended as a criticism of you, but an honest question. What did they teach you about Illinois firearms laws when you took your Illinois CCW training?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Just to be clear...

Unloaded and

In a case and

With a valid FOID

Anyone with a valid FOID may transport a gun by these means.

Some used it for transporting a gun which was only "Six Seconds to Safety" (Fanny Pack Carry) in the long years before concealed carry was passed.

Your CCL allows you to conceal and carry a loaded gun on or about your person.

Cheers!

gangrel,

I appreciate your question. I'm sure that my instructor covered this subject very well. That was almost 5 years ago, and I was only attempting to see if there had been any changes and if I had remembered the subject well.

It wasn't like I had no idea, I was only seeking a refresher lesson on the subject. Thanks for asking.

Hanagan

To put things simply, without all the what-ifs, recommended vs allowed, etc... With a FOID you can have unloaded and encased long guns/handguns in your passenger seat, with every spare inch of that same case filled with loaded magazines. Add a CCL and the handguns can be fully loaded and ready to fire.

+1

I believe you may also transport weapons without a case...but it must be disassembled. Personally, I'd still keep disassembled guns in a case.

Archived