9mm Luger vs 9mm NATO

WtJen

Since I'm sort of new to 9mm's, I was in Rural King today and saw Winchester 9mm NATO FMJ, 124 grain. Since I've bought my Beretta Nano, I've been using Winchester 9mm Luger FMJ. There was a warning on the side of the box for the 9mm NATO that its loaded to 10% higher pressure than Luger.

Wanting to be safe, I looked at several websites and read that basically all modern 9mm pistols can handle either one.

What is the consensus here on the difference, if any between the two types of rounds?

Since this Rural King has no box limit, I'm going to buy all they have unless there is something I need to know about on this.

9mm NATO ammunition is loaded to the same specifications currently used by our U.S. Military. The higher pressure in these rounds deliver increased velocity and energy over standard 9mm ammunition, which also promotes reliable cycling in modern 9mm semi-auto handguns as well as carbines. Use only in modern 9mm firearms in good condition. These Cartridges are loaded to military velocity and pressure which is higher than 9mm Luger cartridges

9mm NATO ammunition is loaded to the same specifications currently used by our U.S. Military. The higher pressure in these rounds deliver increased velocity and energy over standard 9mm ammunition, which also promotes reliable cycling in modern 9mm semi-auto handguns as well as carbines. Use only in modern 9mm firearms in good condition. These Cartridges are loaded to military velocity and pressure which is higher than 9mm Luger cartridges

That is precisely what was written on the box but what does it mean really? Does a modern 9mm pistol have any issues with using it as opposed to using 9mm Luger.

9mm ammo, for example, must have a pressure averaging no greater than 35,000 psi. 9mm +p must be no greater than 38,500 psi. I have seen where NATO spec for 9mm is 42,000 psi. This may be +p ammo (hot ammo) but as Mr Fife stated, +p+ should be avoided in my opinion, While this may offer little confidence, I doubt that Winchester would make ammo so powerful as to make your pistol blow up in your face. It's just bad for business. Check this out too http://illinoiscarry.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=40018&hl=nato

9mm Nato: 124gr bullet, higher pressure charge, crimped and sealed primers

9mm Luger: 115gr bullet (usually), standard pressure charge, no crimp - no sealant on the primers

I don't think your nano will mind the NATO load, but you will probably notice a little more recoil.

NATO loads are just like +P more or less. I put quite a few 9mm NATO rounds through my Sig P226 and there's a noticable difference in kick. Otherwise they're basically the same. Actually when it comes to 9mm rounds (and I don't even own that Sig anymore) I like the NATO rounds for range shooting. My groupings were always better with the Win 9mm NATO vs. WWB 9mm Luger (or Federal Champion, Rem UMC).

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk 2

Archived