Illinois Digital ID - latest (1/20/2015) tips from their tech support

Indigo

From a student:

I called tech support at the company that handles support for the digital ID site for Illinois. They sent me these instructions for the java fix to get a digital ID. The instructions are for IE and Mozilla but they said use the IE option. I went through it and it does work so I have my digital ID. Please note that even these instructions are not perfect and I had to jump around a bit. The number to call for tech support is 800-366-8768. Note also that the latest version of Java does NOT work. Here you go.....

Here are the IE and Firefox instructions for installing java 7u71 that I have been sending out to users..

Internet Explorer

1. Go to your system control panel (Start, Control Panel), Programs and Features, and uninstall Java 8 Update 25 or any other versions you may have installed. Note- All versions of Java must be completely removed from pc.

2. Shutdown and restart computer. (VERY IMPORTANT!)

3. Install Java 7 update 71 found here:

http://www.java.com/en/download/manual_java7.jsp

Choose the option for Windows Offline (32-bit).

Shutdown and restart computer. (VERY IMPORTANT!)

4. If you get a Java pop up that states “Your Java is out of date” Choose Later.

5. In the Java control panel (Start, Control Panel, Java) click on the Security tab and ensure that security is set to “Medium”.

6. Go to your system control panel (Start, Control Panel), Internet Options, click on the Privacy tab, remove the check mark on Turn on Pop-up Blockers.

7. Please make sure all Java plugins are enabled in Internet Explorer- Go to Tools, Manage Add-Ons, Under Sun Microsystems Inc or Oracle America Inc header make sure all java entries are enabled.

8. Clear Java Cache- Go to Java control panel (Start, Control Panel, Java) General Tab/ Temporary internet files section, Settings/ Delete files. Choose all three categories (this is important) and hit OK.

9. Add website to Compatibility View Settings- Tools, Compatibility View Settings, Add This Website Box, enter ILLINOIS.GOV and click on ADD. This will add ILLINOIS.GOV to the websites you’ve added to Compatibility View Box.

10. *If Option is Available* Enable Compatibility View- Tools, Compatibility View and double click this option. A check mark will be placed to the far left side confirming this option is enabled.

11. If you were in the process of creating your digital ID and never received the “Congratulations” page telling you that it was created, go to www.illinois.gov/pki . On the right-hand side of page, click on “forgot password” to finish creating your digital ID.

Firefox

1. Go to your system control panel (Start, Control Panel), programs and features, and uninstall Java 8 Update 25 or any other versions you may have installed. Note- All versions of Java must be completely removed from pc.

4. If you get a Java pop up that states “Your Java is out of date” Choose Later.

5. In the Java control panel (Start, Control Panel, Java) click on the Security tab and ensure that security is set to “Medium.”

6. Clear Java Cache- Go to Java control panel>General (tab)> Temporary internet files section > Settings>Delete files. Choose all three categories (this is important) and hit ok.

7. Windows Users- Go to Tools, Add-ons, Plugins-- java (TM PLATFORM) 7 update 71, Defaults to “Ask To Activate”, change this setting to “Always Activate”..

*MAC USERS*

- Go to Tools, Add-ons, Plugins-- java (APPLET) 7 update 71, Defaults to “Ask To Activate”, change this setting to “Always Activate”.

8. If you were in the process of creating your digital ID and never received the “Congratulations” page telling you that it was created, go to www.illinois.gov/pki . On the right-hand side of page, click on “forgot password” to finish creating your digital ID.

That tech support number can be very helpful. I had a problem resetting the password for my wife's digital ID. I entered all the information such as DL and mother's maiden name correctly, but kept getting a message that it was incorrect. The tech support person entered the same information and got to where it could be reset.

It's ridiculous that they're forcing people to roll back to an old, possibly unsecure version of Java. The main reason Java comes out with new versions is to fix security issues. Illinois needs to get on the ball and update this site!

I'm fine with applying over the internet, but they need a proper system. The one they have is garbage. If I can go online and renew my car registration in 2 minutes I should be able to do the same with this. And they need to merge the FOID and CCW, do both online and that's it.

I'm fine with applying over the internet, but they need a proper system. The one they have is garbage. If I can go online and renew my car registration in 2 minutes I should be able to do the same with this. And they need to merge the FOID and CCW, do both online and that's it.

They should let you do the FOID and CCW either online or by mail. Make the online really easy and most folks will do it that way anyway. They need to trim down the time allowed to issue. If Pa can do it without prints while you wait in a sheriff's office why does Illinois need 90 days without prints and issues in 100+? I know they want the extra money that they get for digital finger prints.

They chose to save some development time and money by reusing an authentication mechanism currently used elsewhere by the state. As a 30 year IT architect with significant focus on application security, I heartily favor reuse, WHERE APPROPRIATE. The solution they reused happens to be from the 90s and is very much out of favor. Java applets in the browser is now pretty much considered an evil heresy.

They chose to save some development time and money by reusing an authentication mechanism currently used elsewhere by the state. As a 30 year IT architect with significant focus on application security, I heartily favor reuse, WHERE APPROPRIATE. The solution they reused happens to be from the 90s and is very much out of favor. Java applets in the browser is now pretty much considered an evil heresy.

So happy to see that Swanhunter posted on arfcom..." ISP is working on an upgrade that will do away with the Java crap....Not sure when it will be up and running."...

• 2 weeks later...

I thought all the outrageous money from CCL's was to be used for upgrades to their system? Its like their IT is like a five year old with an old Iphone.

The Digital ID isn't directly part of the ISP apparatus - it's STATE, and used primarily for businesses doing financial reporting/business with the State of Illinois. My optometrist friend has to use it whenever he bills the state for anything - public aid patients, etc.

That being said, as to why they put this POS system into play as part of the FCCL process, I have no idea....

I thought all the outrageous money from CCL's was to be used for upgrades to their system? Its like their IT is like a five year old with an old Iphone.

The Digital ID isn't directly part of the ISP apparatus - it's STATE, and used primarily for businesses doing financial reporting/business with the State of Illinois. My optometrist friend has to use it whenever he bills the state for anything - public aid patients, etc.

That being said, as to why they put this POS system into play as part of the FCCL process, I have no idea....

I know... to make it more burdensome! They understand that for every step they create, every difficulty that is then in place, every hurdle that we have to jump... less people will actually apply. There is no reason at all to have this Digital I.D. system, other that to make getting a CCL a more difficult process. I have a Florida Non-Resident CCW License as well as an Arizona CCL. Call a phone number, request a License Application, Mail it in with Paper Finger prints and 4 hour Training Certificate and for less than $50.00, you get your License in about 30-45 days. No stupid Digital I.D., no need to go on the internet at all!

"The problems with it are not an intentional ploy to make the licensing process more difficult."

OK, let's say that's so. But wouldn't the one year anniversary be an appropriate time to reevaluate where we are and how we got here? To do an 'after action' analysis? After all, contrary to the endless yammering of political idiots as well as officials who shouild have known better, Illinois streets never ran with blood. Nor have those of any other states....states that have much better, simpler, and less expensive licensing systems. Did Illinois avail itself of any of their experience? If so, what? Being last in the nation to implement CCL and having the lessons of all who've gone before, you'd think our system would be one of the best instead of being a clunker. What happened?

It's all well and good to talk about making improvements. No doubt they're needed. But right now it looks like there's a fundamental flaw in the DNA somewhere (ISP procurement? Political meddling?) that's bound to muck up the improvements, too, instead of delivering a system that's best in class. Why can't Illinois be the best at something for once instead of consistently the worst?

"The problems with it are not an intentional ploy to make the licensing process more difficult."

OK, let's say that's so. But wouldn't the one year anniversary be an appropriate time to reevaluate where we are and how we got here? To do an 'after action' analysis? After all, contrary to the endless yammering of political idiots as well as officials who shouild have known better, Illinois streets never ran with blood. Nor have those of any other states....states that have much better, simpler, and less expensive licensing systems. Did Illinois avail itself of any of their experience? If so, what? Being last in the nation to implement CCL and having the lessons of all who've gone before, you'd think our system would be one of the best instead of being a clunker. What happened?

It's all well and good to talk about making improvements. No doubt they're needed. But right now it looks like there's a fundamental flaw in the DNA somewhere (ISP procurement? Political meddling?) that's bound to muck up the improvements, too, instead of delivering a system that's best in class. Why can't Illinois be the best at something for once instead of consistently the worst?

We are all well aware of where Illinois ranks on a whole list of should/shouldn't and ought to haves. There were requirements implemented into the CCL program in order to get through the licensing process which is mostly used for professional licensing. It's not easy to change a state established system. I think it would pretty safe to say there are few folks in this state who have had to try to navigate that system on behalf of others more than me. For a state that's broke and plagued with antiquated programs and systems we are fortunate we got through the first year with nearly 100,000 licenses issued.

No need to wait for the one year anniversary, I can say that after the first few weeks, the digital ID process was already targeted as a problem and a fix was in the mix. Sometimes these things take longer than we like - it's called bureaucracy.

From a student:

I called tech support at the company that handles support for the digital ID site for Illinois. They sent me these instructions for the java fix to get a digital ID. The instructions are for IE and Mozilla but they said use the IE option. I went through it and it does work so I have my digital ID. Please note that even these instructions are not perfect and I had to jump around a bit. The number to call for tech support is 800-366-8768. Note also that the latest version of Java does NOT work. Here you go.....

Here are the IE and Firefox instructions for installing java 7u71 that I have been sending out to users..

Internet Explorer

1. Go to your system control panel (Start, Control Panel), Programs and Features, and uninstall Java 8 Update 25 or any other versions you may have installed. Note- All versions of Java must be completely removed from pc.

5. In the Java control panel (Start, Control Panel, Java) click on the Security tab and ensure that security is set to “Medium”.

6. Go to your system control panel (Start, Control Panel), Internet Options, click on the Privacy tab, remove the check mark on Turn on Pop-up Blockers.

7. Please make sure all Java plugins are enabled in Internet Explorer- Go to Tools, Manage Add-Ons, Under Sun Microsystems Inc or Oracle America Inc header make sure all java entries are enabled.

8. Clear Java Cache- Go to Java control panel (Start, Control Panel, Java) General Tab/ Temporary internet files section, Settings/ Delete files. Choose all three categories (this is important) and hit OK.

9. Add website to Compatibility View Settings- Tools, Compatibility View Settings, Add This Website Box, enter ILLINOIS.GOV and click on ADD. This will add ILLINOIS.GOV to the websites you’ve added to Compatibility View Box.

10. *If Option is Available* Enable Compatibility View- Tools, Compatibility View and double click this option. A check mark will be placed to the far left side confirming this option is enabled.

11. If you were in the process of creating your digital ID and never received the “Congratulations” page telling you that it was created, go to www.illinois.gov/pki . On the right-hand side of page, click on “forgot password” to finish creating your digital ID.

Firefox

1. Go to your system control panel (Start, Control Panel), programs and features, and uninstall Java 8 Update 25 or any other versions you may have installed. Note- All versions of Java must be completely removed from pc.

5. In the Java control panel (Start, Control Panel, Java) click on the Security tab and ensure that security is set to “Medium.”

6. Clear Java Cache- Go to Java control panel>General (tab)> Temporary internet files section > Settings>Delete files. Choose all three categories (this is important) and hit ok.

7. Windows Users- Go to Tools, Add-ons, Plugins-- java (TM PLATFORM) 7 update 71, Defaults to “Ask To Activate”, change this setting to “Always Activate”..

*MAC USERS*

- Go to Tools, Add-ons, Plugins-- java (APPLET) 7 update 71, Defaults to “Ask To Activate”, change this setting to “Always Activate”.

8. If you were in the process of creating your digital ID and never received the “Congratulations” page telling you that it was created, go to www.illinois.gov/pki . On the right-hand side of page, click on “forgot password” to finish creating your digital ID.

Would it work on an android device?

We are all well aware of where Illinois ranks on a whole list of should/shouldn't and ought to haves. There were requirements implemented into the CCL program in order to get through the licensing process which is mostly used for professional licensing. It's not easy to change a state established system. I think it would pretty safe to say there are few folks in this state who have had to try to navigate that system on behalf of others more than me. For a state that's broke and plagued with antiquated programs and systems we are fortunate we got through the first year with nearly 100,000 licenses issued.

No need to wait for the one year anniversary, I can say that after the first few weeks, the digital ID process was already targeted as a problem and a fix was in the mix. Sometimes these things take longer than we like - it's called bureaucracy.

Molly, I am an Illinois Licensed Plumber and an Illinois Registered Plumbing Contractor... yet there is no requirement or use of this Digital I.D. System for our State Regulated Profession. We have to renew our Plumbing Licenses every year and are required to get 4 Hours of continued education every year... yet no requirement for a State Digital I.D. So, in my opinion, Former Governor Quinn had this non-sense used against us and we need to ask Governor Rauner to abolish it.

From a student:

Internet Explorer

Firefox

*MAC USERS*

Would it work on an android device?

Do you Vote? Have you Registered your Digital I.D. to Vote... Oh wait, that would be unfair, you are not even required to show a State Issued State I.D. Hmmm. Until we demand that our Rights be respected the same as ILLEGAL ALIEN's, the politicians will treat us like the suckers that we have been.

Did everything Indigo stated. Didn't work.

Called tech support.. they want version 75 installed now.

Said they've been told that they're going to start "enforcing" the annual password change. When I told him their own FAQ states we're to be "notified" that a password change is required & we're currently not. He responded that it has been a rule for IL Digital ID for "years".

There is NO PLAN currently to have the system updated to work with current Java. This is just plain unacceptable. I would hope we can get the ear of someone capable of correcting this.

At this point I'm going to leave my password expired and hope that within the next 4yrs it gets updated. Hopefully it will not adversely affect my permit status.

Respectfully,

OK... got it resolved. Thanks to Brian at tech support.

Follow the link Indigo posted. It is now for Java version 7, update 75 (that is the one they NOW want you to use)... I also found out from Brian that what works for some folks will NOT work for everyone. This is a hit/miss patchwork that they are trying to find out what works for MOST people.

Follow the remaining steps listed by Indigo above.

Now...
Go to: http://www.illinois.gov/pki
Once there, on the right side under "Related Resources"... click on the 6th link "Forgot Password" or copy & paste/click this: http://www.illinois.gov/bccs/services/catalog/security/PKI/SitePages/forgotpassword.html
Then.. allow each of the pop-ups.
Change your password (do not reuse your old one) following the guide shown. (there is at least one screen that may take up to 10 min to update according to Brian... do not be too quick to refresh the screen)
Once it tells you that you've been successful; you may login at: https://www.ccl4illinois.com/ccw/Public/Home.aspx

They do not know why you cannot update your password from the Concealed Carry page (apparently it works for a minority of folks but, using the Forgot Password link is their preferred method).

I hope this helps others avoid some of the frustration I went through.

Respectfully,

Molly, I am an Illinois Licensed Plumber and an Illinois Registered Plumbing Contractor... yet there is no requirement or use of this Digital I.D. System for our State Regulated Profession. We have to renew our Plumbing Licenses every year and are required to get 4 Hours of continued education every year... yet no requirement for a State Digital I.D. So, in my opinion, Former Governor Quinn had this non-sense used against us and we need to ask Governor Rauner to abolish it.

There is no need to ask anyone to abolish it. It is already on its way out.

Archived