Renewal Process - GSL

Craigcelia

Will the renewal process take longer than 60 days if you haven't submitted fingerprints?

They have the same 90/120 day requirements as specified for original apps.

That sucks! My Pennsylvania permit is dependent on my IL permit. If I don't get them a photocopy of the updated CCW by my expiration date, I'll have to re-apply with them.

Will the renewal process take longer than 60 days if you haven't submitted fingerprints?

They have the same 90/120 day requirements as specified for original apps.

That sucks! My Pennsylvania permit is dependent on my IL permit. If I don't get them a photocopy of the updated CCW by my expiration date, I'll have to re-apply with them.

Is your PA permit up for renewal right after your IL permit expires? They just require a current home-state permit to get a PA non-res. No mention of "it has to be good for ## of days / months into the future."

Molly,

Do you happen to know if instructors need the 3 hour class that they are teaching i.e. do we have to go through the process of signing our own certificates? When I got my CCW as an instructor I dis not need the certificate.

Thanks

Instructors are listed in the statute as being exempt from the training requirement as long as they have current teaching credentials and an IL concealed carry license from IL or their home state.

Hi Molly - I understand that this is what the law states. My concern is ISP's apparent failure to understand this, as they communicated to another instructor that inquired that "the requirements to renew are the same for everyone." While legally in the right to apply for renewal as an instructor without taking a class, I am hoping we don't wind up having to fight with ISP over this issue. Any insights?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Hi Molly - I understand that this is what the law states. My concern is ISP's apparent failure to understand this, as they communicated to another instructor that inquired that "the requirements to renew are the same for everyone." While legally in the right to apply for renewal as an instructor without taking a class, I am hoping we don't wind up having to fight with ISP over this issue. Any insights?

From the ISP concerning documentation to be submitted by instructors who are renewing their CCL:

yes, the document referred to would be their instructor credentials

-- whatever they used the first time around, but for example the NRA credentials have expiration dates, so this should be their most current credentials.

From the ISP concerning documentation to be submitted by instructors who are renewing their CCL:

-- whatever they used the first time around, but for example the NRA credentials have expiration dates, so this should be their most current credentials.

Awesome! I suspected as much, but thanks for the confirmation!

10/24/18 at the ISP CCL portal:

NOTICE: DO NOT ATTEMPT WITH A SMART PHONE OR TABLET. Errors from mobile interface can result in application denial. Only attempt renewal within 90 days of your expiration date. Finally, please ensure your address on file with the Secretary of State is up-to-date because applications and SOS addresses MUST match.

zoz

10/24/18 at the ISP CCL portal:

NOTICE: DO NOT ATTEMPT WITH A SMART PHONE OR TABLET. Errors from mobile interface can result in application denial. Only attempt renewal within 90 days of your expiration date. Finally, please ensure your address on file with the Secretary of State is up-to-date because applications and SOS addresses MUST match.

zoz

So they have 90-120 days to process but we should only attempt within 90 days?

Sure is a good thing hardly anyone uses a smartphone or tablet to access the web these days! /s

Is your PA permit up for renewal right after your IL permit expires? They just require a current home-state permit to get a PA non-res. No mention of "it has to be good for ## of days / months into the future."

The PA permit is dependent on the IL CCW. It expires when the IL CCW expires. As long as I can get a photocopy of an IL CCW with an expiration date past Feb. 2019, they'll extend the PA permit to the same exp date. No extra charge, no extra requirement to pick up the PA card in person.

• 3 weeks later...

So it is 60 days out or 90? The info above says 90, but I have seen email correspondence from the ISP to someone else that said no sooner than 60 days out.

On October 31, Molly posted a response from the ISP that stated if your renewal button appeared go ahead and put in your renewal application.

...but not using a smartphone or tablet! /s *smh*

So it is 60 days out or 90? The info above says 90, but I have seen email correspondence from the ISP to someone else that said no sooner than 60 days out.

I depends on whether you are talking about FOID or FCCL. Both are mentioned in this thread.

Go to the Illinois State Police site. Whether you click on FOID or CCL, the 60 day warning will pop up.

The 60 days part only concerns FOID. If you want to know if you can renew your CCL, close the System Warning box

and sign in on your account. If you are eligible for renewal, based on your expiration date, the RENEW button will be on

the left side of the screen and down about half way. Click the button and follow the instructions.

In most cases will just be verifying information that is on the screen.

Those of us will CCLs expiring Feb 28 became eligible about Oct 30. So it seems that the renewal period starts about 120 days.

The renewal appearing on your ISP page in the indicator.

• 2 weeks later...

Is the account info the old "liveID" or what? I tried using those credentials and they didnt work. Then I hit the forgot password button but its asking me the answer to the security question but doesnt tell me what question it is!! I hit the back button and tried to sign in one more time and it says I didnt answer any questions and I must now contact ISP. What the hey!!!

Is the account info the old "liveID" or what? I tried using those credentials and they didnt work. Then I hit the forgot password button but its asking me the answer to the security question but doesnt tell me what question it is!! I hit the back button and tried to sign in one more time and it says I didnt answer any questions and I must now contact ISP. What the hey!!!

Create a new account. After a yr or so of initial applications, software upgrade removed old Java requirement and the login and browser compatibility issues but it reqvuires one to create a new id/account if you havent logged in the past 4ish years.

Molly,

I hope I didn't cause a problem for myself, but...

As I completed my renewal application just now, at the point where one needs to upload a three hour course certificate (where instructors might enter previous training credentials), there are three exemption boxes.

The middle one is for ISP CCT trainers (or something like that).

I checked that box, entered my CCT#, and was able to proceed without uploading current credentials.

Have I caused myself a renewal delay, has there been a change to the application in the last week or was your ISP contact unfamiliar with the application process re Instructors who are except?

Thank you!

*I'm not in a terrible hurry for an answer, just asking in a timely manner so...

Happy Thanksgiving!

Hope you get to relax and enjoy friends and family.

Molly,

I hope I didn't cause a problem for myself, but...

As I completed my renewal application just now, at the point where one needs to upload a three hour course certificate (where instructors might enter previous training credentials), there are three exemption boxes.

The middle one is for ISP CCT trainers (or something like that).

I checked that box, entered my CCT#, and was able to proceed without uploading current credentials.

Have I caused myself a renewal delay, has there been a change to the application in the last week or was your ISP contact unfamiliar with the application process re Instructors who are except?

Thank you!

*I'm not in a terrible hurry for an answer, just asking in a timely manner so...

Happy Thanksgiving!

Hope you get to relax and enjoy friends and family.

Soundguy, that's the way I remember it, too. I didn't need to upload anything as far as training documents when I applied for renewal. I just hope that those folks that did upload something don't get delayed if they accidentally missed that checkbox.

-- Frank

Mine expires 2/28/19 and I was able to do the online renewal today. I submitted electronic fingerprints for the original permit and when I got to that question on the renewal it was grayed out that yes I was supplying fingerprints and it showed the number from the original fingerprints. I've received the confirmation from the ISP that my renewal is submitted. Looks like if you submit fingerprints the first time you never have to do it again.

Mine expires 2/28/19 and I was able to do the online renewal today. I submitted electronic fingerprints for the original permit and when I got to that question on the renewal it was grayed out that yes I was supplying fingerprints and it showed the number from the original fingerprints. I've received the confirmation from the ISP that my renewal is submitted. Looks like if you submit fingerprints the first time you never have to do it again.
As with the original application, they have 120 days to process if no prints submitted either now or previously. Since new apps, no prints, were running around 110 iirc, then I would guess you are looking at about the same, or maybe 80 days at best, if they dont open the renewal up for 30 day LE objection. We'll have a better idea once data starts coming in on the renewal processing time thread.

Archived