What auto-opening knife are you going to buy?

C0untZer0

Probably the cheap Boker Plus Strike Auto that I might already own

Gonna pick one of those up tomorrow. Visiting Smoky Mountain knife works tomorrow while in Pigeon Forge TN. Won't carry until gov signs it though. $50 pretty reasonable. Gonna look at an OTF as well. Micro techs are pretty pricey though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Well, I have a decision to make now...

I thought I had settled on an OTF, but today I found out that this is a thing (new for this year, evidently):

https://www.buckknives.com/product/110-auto-knife/0110BRSA-B/

I'm a huge fan of the "traditional" Bucks; if you stick to their "Made in the US" models, the quality is as good as anything you'll find. On top of that, their warranty service is second to none. My dad broke the blade on his 112 Ranger years ago, and I sent it in and told them that it wasn't a warranty issue, he'd been using it as a prybar. I just wanted it fixed and would pay whatever the repairs cost. They sent it back with a new blade, polished up and like new, at no charge.

Now they have a factory auto 110? Count me in! Doesn't hurt that the online retailers are listing it for around $140, as opposed to $270+ for the OTF I wanted...

Best auto knife (I should say favorite) for me has been a Benchmade Presidio with a half serrated tanto blade. Normally it hides in my camping gear for when Im out of town. The locking mechanism and the blade release fit my hand perfectly without having to shift my grip around.

Ive been tempted by the Microtech knives for a while and I may end up picking up something with a blade under 3" for EDC since the Presidio is over 3" and I dont really want any hassle over blade length.

Its just nice to finally have the freedom to carry something that I can easily open with one hand. Ive carried a few of the "not a switchblade" assisted opening knives and never really liked them. They definitely open easily with one hand, but I prefer the ease of just pushing a button.

I don't know yet, but I'm going full custom. I've been wanting an auto by Ken Steigerwalt since the 1990's, and am still kicking myself for not buying one I saw at a knife show in Mount Vernon back then. That one looked something like this:

http://www.knifepurveyor.com/images/content/ken_steigerwalt_open_L.jpg

Most of his newer stuff is in the Art Deco style though, or more modernish like this:

IMG_5392.jpg

I carry a 2 for $20 folding knife from Home Depot - sharp, handy and works just fine - I honestly can't foresee a need or use for an auto-knife in my life.

To each his own. Knifes are tools for some, and nick nacks for others.

BUT, there is value, even for the frugal, in a better piece of steel. You don't have to spend $400 to get it, either. Lots of sub $50 knives that will last a lifetime with appropriate use.

I'm eyeballing the Benchmade 5700 Presidio II, but I have no idea how practical or good it is. When it comes to knives, I'm at a complete loss. I've always had a vague feeling that carrying a knife would be a good idea, but I've never really looked into it. Now I'm somewhat overwhelmed by it all.

Alternative Benchmade knives that are non-automatic knives that I've looked at are the 940/943, Emissary, and Arcane.

Then I remember the 2.5" blade restriction in Chicago and I lose initiative again.

Are there going to be restrictions on where you can carry it? Will the no firearms sticker on the window include switchblades?

Yes/No - There are no state restrictions in the bill but there was also no state preemption, so I assume any local knife laws will still be in effect.

No prohibited places or knife free zones in the bill, so the current gun free zone stickers wont change. Any other no knife/weapon stickers a store may have posted do not change in whatever force of law, if any, it may have had before.

IANAL

I'm eyeballing the Benchmade 5700 Presidio II, but I have no idea how practical or good it is. When it comes to knives, I'm at a complete loss. I've always had a vague feeling that carrying a knife would be a good idea, but I've never really looked into it. Now I'm somewhat overwhelmed by it all.

Alternative Benchmade knives that are non-automatic knives that I've looked at are the 940/943, Emissary, and Arcane.

Then I remember the 2.5" blade restriction in Chicago and I lose initiative again.

My favorite non-automatic folder is Benchmark, Crooked River. Beauty and a beast for a folder. Also a great hunting knife.

When I was looking around, I read the entire Presidio line was being discontinued for 2017....so whatever is in stock...

The Presidio line is being replace with the Presidio II. Slightly longer blade and reviews I've seen seem to think the ergonomics are a bit better. Non-serrated edge, satin blade, Axis automatic are the options I want. The moment I hear the bill has been signed I'm placing my order on whichever website has it cheapest.

Speaking of, what is the status of the bill? It's been delivered to Rauner, right? Just waiting for him to sign or for 60 days to pass?

Speaking of, what is the status of the bill? It's been delivered to Rauner, right? Just waiting for him to sign or for 60 days to pass?

Nope, per ILGA site, not sent to governor yet. They have 30 days to do so which then starts his 60 days after received.

Best I can tell from reports, 210 bills have passed both chambers and only 1 of those (passed 4/6 and sent on 4/7) has been sent to governor where it is pending his action as of today.

What happens if they don't send it? Like, is it a formality to send a bill or can there still be wankery where the bill is never sent to the governor?

Given how this state seems to work, it seems like August 16 is target date. Assuming weekend days count for the 30 and 60 day timelines.

I believe it says they "must" send within 30 days. I dont think there is "dont send wankery", but I dont know who controls the sending or procedure around that.

I dont know if possible, but maybe if a party doesnt like how the governor is expected to address a bill, a delay in sending could give them extra time to lobby his office to act on it the way they want.

Would not think sending would be a big deal but they are up to 209 bills to send now...maybe they are waiting until end of spring session and just send all at once assuming it meets 30 day rule.

I've decided against an OTF, but for a side-opening auto, I'd like one with a thumb stud, so if something goes wrong with the opening for some reason, (like maybe it gets caught on a coat sleeve or something), I can lock it manually with the stud.

I haven't looked at all autos. There is like 125 pages worth of auto-opening knives at most of the online knife stores.

Does anyone know of a side-opening auto that also has a thumb stud?

I've decided against an OTF, but for a side-opening auto, I'd like one with a thumb stud, so if something goes wrong with the opening for some reason, (like maybe it gets caught on a coat sleeve or something), I can lock it manually with the stud.

I haven't looked at all autos. There is like 125 pages worth of auto-opening knives at most of the online knife stores.

Does anyone know of a side-opening auto that also has a thumb stud?

I have no personal experience with any of them, but what you're looking for is a "double action" side-folder. It's a little different terminology than for OTF's; for side-folders, double-action means it can be opened either with the button or by manually opening the blade. Knowing that might help you narrow your search...

Archived