"A Weak New Gun Study"

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Molly B.

IllinoisCarry spokesperson

• 16,162 posts

Posted 15 July 2019 - 01:07 PM

https://www.national...-new-gun-study/

"This morning a lot of websites are touting a new study in Pediatrics that claims various forms of gun control reduce “pediatric” firearm deaths. By this the researchers mean deaths among all Americans aged 21 and under. (As I’ve pointed out before, also in the context of gun research in Pediatrics, even when you limit the age range to 18, you’re mainly talking about older teens, not young kids.)

Normally, if you want to know what effect a law has, you look to see what changed before and after it went into effect. Do states that enact the law experience different trends relative to states that don’t? This study doesn’t do that; though it combines five years’ worth of data, it just compares gun-death rates across states with various scores from the anti-gun Brady Campaign. It’s “cross-sectional,” in other words. It doesn’t tell us whether the laws actually do anything, or if states with fewer gun deaths are more likely to enact the laws to begin with."

"It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men." --Samuel Adams

#2 Plinkermostly

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts

Posted 15 July 2019 - 02:03 PM

But . . . but . . . but -- it's for the children!

#3 Flynn

• Members
  • 1,671 posts

Posted 15 July 2019 - 02:18 PM

Classic argumentum ad passiones fallacy

Edited by Flynn, 15 July 2019 - 02:19 PM.

Anonymous leakers, leak anonymously about the anonymous leak.

—Anonymous

#4 domin8

• Members
  • 7,156 posts

Posted 15 July 2019 - 06:02 PM

I wish my wife had time to look at this and break it down. Now that she's a pediatric advanced practice nurse she'd be able to help me break it down by knowing where to look for credible data. However, one thing that's blatantly obvious to me is how they lumped murder, suicide, and improper storage that resulted in a child getting hold of a gun and shooting themselves or a sibling/friend I'm order to play politics. They referred to Brady, but didn't look at other countries closely. It's not just weak, it wreaks of tarradiddle and doesn't deserve to be called research when it's incomplete. Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

#5 45Badger

• Members
  • 2,202 posts

Posted 15 July 2019 - 07:32 PM

The thread title had me thinking this ware about .22 shorts.... Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9mm = 45ACP set on "stun"
.45 ACP - Because Shooting Twice Is Silly!

.45acp... turning human garbage into useful fertilizer since 1911

“The most dangerous risk of all – The risk of spending your life not doing what you want on the bet you can buy yourself the freedom to do it later”

#6 Tango7

• Members
  • 4,897 posts

Posted 15 July 2019 - 08:06 PM

And of course no regard as to involvement in criminality or gangs as a factor... because #itsguns

You will not 'rise to the occasion', you will default to your level of training - plan accordingly.

Despite their rallying around us at election time, honoring only 8 hours of Illinois' 40+ hour law enforcement class towards a 16 hour requirement shows the contempt that our elected officials hold us in.

#7 steveTA84

• Supporting Members Team
  • 4,746 posts

Posted 15 July 2019 - 09:08 PM

Study conducted by the AAP. Nuff said

Ge81Lcw.jpg

#8 kevinmcc

• Members
  • 2,561 posts

Posted 03 August 2019 - 12:51 PM

Anyone notice the major flaw in the study?

African American Gun Score (TABLE 2) = 116

African American Mortality Rate (TABLE 1) = 12.4

Their prediction for gun score and mortality rate (FIGURE 1) says that mortality rate should be between 3 and 5, but in reality is 3 times higher than their prediction.

Also if the gun law score was 0, the mortality rate is double the between 5 and 7 predicted mortality rate.

Then TABLE 3 is all about their "Predicted Mortality Rate" and shows nothing about actual mortality rate. Also does not consider differences in the states.

This study is garbage.

What see is a high gun score 116 due to stronger gun laws in African American communities shows an actual higher mortality rate.

Edited by kevinmcc, 03 August 2019 - 12:56 PM.

Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, NRA
Life Member, Oath Keepers
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation

#9 BobPistol

• Members
  • 9,101 posts

Posted 04 August 2019 - 10:40 AM

Classic argumentum ad passiones fallacy

I thought it was argumentum ad feeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelz fallacy :)

The Second Amendment of the Constitution protects the rest.

#10 speedbump

• Members
  • 1,090 posts

Posted 04 August 2019 - 02:47 PM

Absolute trash "research", partisan politics masquerading as academic/ medical study.

The author(s) should be debunked, and defunded.
"The struggle may be a moral one, or it may be a physical one, or it may be both. But it must be a struggle. Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will."

~Frederick Douglass~

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users