SHUSH Act

bmyers

If I'm reading the article correctly, it would make them legal in Illinois if this would pass.

Could the complete deregulation of silencers (also called “suppressors”) be near? That’s the goal of a new bill introduced simultaneously to the House and Senate, which seeks to invalidate the provisions pertaining to silencers of the National Firearms Act, entirely. The bill, called the SHUSH (Silencers Help Us Save Hearing) Act, would nullify the NFA’s requirements for silencer registration via two modifications: First, by making anyone seeking to purchase a silencer (who is otherwise acting within the law) automatically meet the NFA’s requirements; and second, by invalidating all state regulations regarding silencers. Further, these changes would retroactively apply to all silencer transfers more recent than October 22, 2015.

Essentially, these provisions would deregulate silencers to the status of general firearms accessories, apply this deregulation across the board to all states, and release all silencers currently in tax stamp limbo to their respective purchasers. This differs from the Hearing Protection Act (HPA), which would down-regulate silencers to the same level as a standard longarm.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2017/07/05/deregulation-suppressors-new-shush-act-introduced-house-senate/

I see Chicago is already claiming the high rate of shootings over the 4th was due to fireworks interfering with their shotspotter units.

At the end of the day I can't envision IL or at least Crook/Chicago won't find a way like a new $10,000 a unit tax or something.

Well, let them I guess. If suppressors get treated like a general accessory such as a scope, then you'll be able to order them off of any website and have them shipped to your house. Bypass their nonsense tax all together.

I see Chicago is already claiming the high rate of shootings over the 4th was due to fireworks interfering with their shotspotter units.

At the end of the day I can't envision IL or at least Crook/Chicago won't find a way like a new $10,000 a unit tax or something.

Well, let them I guess. If suppressors get treated like a general accessory such as a scope, then you'll be able to order them off of any website and have them shipped to your house. Bypass their nonsense tax all together.

That would be awesome, as manufacturing ramps up I would assume prices would come down some.

That would be awesome, as manufacturing ramps up I would assume prices would come down some.

But I wouldn't count on that for quite some time afterwards. If suppressors are suddenly unregulated, I expect there would be an enormous surge in demand, and manufaturers wouldn't be able to keep up. It would take time for things to calm down again.

I'm sorry but I don't see where they would legal in IL? They are banned by name so unless laws change here nothing is different.

You should follow the link and read the current version of the bill. They're trying to insert language to pre-empt state laws about silencers based on interstate commerce provisions. Whether or not that would survive a legal challenge by the states, who knows?

19 SEC. 4. PREEMPTION OF CERTAIN STATE LAWS IN RELA-

20 TION TO FIREARM SILENCERS.

21 Section 927 of title 18, United States Code, is

22 amended by adding at the end the following: ‘‘Notwith-

23 standing the preceding sentence, a law of a State or a

24 political subdivision of a State that, as a condition of law-

25 fully making, transferring, using, possessing, or transporting a firearm silencer in or affecting interstate or foreign commerce, imposes a tax on any such conduct, or a marking, recordkeeping, or registration requirement with respect to the firearm silencer, shall have no force or effect.’’.

I'm sorry but I don't see where they would legal in IL? They are banned by name so unless laws change here nothing is different.

You should follow the link and read the current version of the bill. They're trying to insert language to pre-empt state laws about silencers based on interstate commerce provisions. Whether or not that would survive a legal challenge by the states, who knows?

19 SEC. 4. PREEMPTION OF CERTAIN STATE LAWS IN RELA-

20 TION TO FIREARM SILENCERS.

21 Section 927 of title 18, United States Code, is

22 amended by adding at the end the following: ‘‘Notwith-

23 standing the preceding sentence, a law of a State or a

24 political subdivision of a State that, as a condition of law-

25 fully making, transferring, using, possessing, or transporting a firearm silencer in or affecting interstate or foreign commerce, imposes a tax on any such conduct, or a marking, recordkeeping, or registration requirement with respect to the firearm silencer, shall have no force or effect.’’.

By my reading, that doesn't help us at all. Illinois doesn't place any conditions on lawful possession, transferring, etc. It outright bans them.

This section doesn't affect that. It's actually a more focused explanation on how to make them legal in states that have laws along the lines of "silencers are legal if they are registered with the NFA," which if this passed without the above language would have the unintended consequence of making them illegal in those states.

I wish they had tacked on "or laws that prohibit ownership, use, and transfer of firearm silencers" just before the "shall have no force or effect" verbiage.

Like buying a car outside of Chicago? :frantics:

Like buying a car outside of Chicago? :frantics:

Or ammo.

But, per the recently posted section of the proposed law, it doesn't seem like the SHUSH act will help us in Illinois.

I think got a tingle down my leg...

If I'm reading the article correctly, it would make them legal in Illinois if this would pass.

Could the complete deregulation of silencers (also called “suppressors”) be near? That’s the goal of a new bill introduced simultaneously to the House and Senate, which seeks to invalidate the provisions pertaining to silencers of the National Firearms Act, entirely. The bill, called the SHUSH (Silencers Help Us Save Hearing) Act, would nullify the NFA’s requirements for silencer registration via two modifications: First, by making anyone seeking to purchase a silencer (who is otherwise acting within the law) automatically meet the NFA’s requirements; and second, by invalidating all state regulations regarding silencers. Further, these changes would retroactively apply to all silencer transfers more recent than October 22, 2015.

Essentially, these provisions would deregulate silencers to the status of general firearms accessories, apply this deregulation across the board to all states, and release all silencers currently in tax stamp limbo to their respective purchasers. This differs from the Hearing Protection Act (HPA), which would down-regulate silencers to the same level as a standard longarm.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2017/07/05/deregulation-suppressors-new-shush-act-introduced-house-senate/

If they become legal, I'd love to have one for my .308 and .223 rifles at the very least. If the price dropped like many think it would, I would then consider them for other guns.

It is the polite thing to do when shooting outdoors.

It would be fun to have one for my Blackout pistol, since the round was designed with suppressors in mind.

But it's all pie in the sky until a bill passes and makes them legal here in the PRI.

Don't let that tingle lead to anything premature. The SHUSH bill (just like the HPA) won't do anything to make suppressors legal here in Illinois. The preemption language merely invalidates regulations that are prerequisites to legal ownership. It doesn't do anything to overturn outright bans.

Don't let that tingle lead to anything premature. The SHUSH bill (just like the HPA) won't do anything to make suppressors legal here in Illinois. The preemption language merely invalidates regulations that are prerequisites to legal ownership. It doesn't do anything to overturn outright bans.

and you just know the antis here will be kicking and screaming about this. We seemed to make some progress a couple of years ago with media and lawmakers, but with the new ILGA and I expect them getting bent about gun dealer licensing and the pro side not willing to trade something, it is going to be a challenge to loosen things up in IL even though none of the horror stories happened in the surrounding states.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The same thing was said about concealed carry by many.

And those people were right. We didn't get concealed carry because the legislature came around to our side. We got it because the courts forced the legislature to act.

Likewise the legislature in Illinois doesn't seem to be on our side of the suppressor issue. Unfortunately the language of this bill doesn't help us and the courts are unlikely to help us either.

I support the law, but it's a low priority for me personally. I doubt I'd ever buy a silencer.

A higher priority would be concealed carry reciprocity. There is not much time. We need to remember that we are up against a 2018 mid-term election. That means campaigning will start soon and there won't be much action in congress on anything...much less controversial topics. This needs to be hurried along.

The NRA, of which I'm a life member, endorsed Trump and nearly every Republican and that is a massive force for Republican victory. If Wayne LaPierre isn't calling the White House and congress everyday on this, I'd be surprised. Let's have ACTION. Republicans need to deliver to their constituencies fast...or risk having what happened to Hillary happen to them.

Sorry if already posted elsewhere. Also mentions it may overrule ban in IL

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/07/31/federal-lawmakers-seek-to-deregulate-gun-silencers.html

Federal lawmakers seek to deregulate gun silencers

A handful of proposed federal bills would make gun silencers more readily available. And they may overrule Illinois’ ban on the firearms accessory.

Gun suppressors have been heavily regulated since the Great Depression. They reduce the sound of a gunshot to levels that aren’t as damaging to a shooter’s hearing. That’s why U.S. Rep. Steve King, R-Iowa, has introduced a bill that would deregulate them. There is also a companion bill in the Senate sponsored by Sen. Mike Lee, R-Utah.

National Association of Gun Rights President Dudley Brown stresses suppressors are made to preserve hearing ability.

“It’s a broad freedom that is largely unpracticed in America except through incredible regulation,” he said. “We want to get rid of that.”

None of these proposed laws would do anything for Illinois. The claim that they will is all snake oil. Read the actual text of the law and you'll see for yourselves that we aren't getting any help from the HPA or SHUSH act unless there are some serious revisions to the wording. The preemption clauses help in places like Texas that have state laws that say "Suppressors are legal if they are registered with the NFA." Thus the unintended consequence of these laws would result in silencers becoming illegal in Texas without the preemption language. Illinois doesn't regulate suppressors, it bans them outright, thus the preemption language would do nothing.

I want suppressors as much as anyone. I'll buy at least 4 if not more the day they become legal here (or I move to a state where they are legal). I'm not going to buy into false hope though.

As for passing national reciprocity, I'm starting to think that the NRA wants that carrot to dangle in front of gun owners for as long as possible. If Democrats take back some seats, it'll be a great boon to the NRA's coffers. This might be a cynical view, but it's also pragmatic. Politicians can pander to gun owners and then do nothing for us and they'll keep getting the gun owner's votes.

Archived