If you need an FBI background check prior to applying for CCL or FOID

Molly B.

Sometimes people need to make sure records have been expunged prior to applying for a CCL or FOID card. Sometimes they need to challenge records the ISP says is grounds for denial or revocation.

Through a partnership between the #FBI and the @USPS, you can now submit your fingerprints electronically for an identity history summary check (IdHSC) while you buy stamps or mail packages. Learn more about IdHSC https://www.fbi.gov/services/cjis/identity-history-summary-checks

and find participating post offices at https://www.edo.cjis.gov/#/org/USPS

USPS® - Cesar Chavez Station (Pilsen)
1859 S Ashland Ave
Chicago, IL 60608
312-733-4750
Lot parking available

Fingerprinting Hours:
Mon-Fri: 10:00am - 3:00pm
Sat: 10:00am - 2:00pm
Sun: Closed

Preregistration Required ()

USPS® - Jefferson Park
5401 W Lawrence Ave
Chicago, IL 60630

773-736-1672
Street parking available

Fingerprinting Hours:
Mon-Fri: 9:00am - 2:00pm
Sat: 10:00am - 2:00pm
Sun: Closed

USPS® - Finance Station E
100 W Randolph St
Chicago, IL 60601

312-263-2686
No parking options available (other lots/ garages in close proximity)

Fingerprinting Hours:
Mon-Fri: 10:00am - 4:00pm
Sat-Sun: Closed

• 11 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

If I may... Who would this be best suited for? My wife and I are currently taking the CCL course. We are both fairly new Gun owners and work late hours at times. (I work in the Medical Supply business she works as a retail store manager)

Her record is near spotless aside from maybe a speeding ticket 5 years ago. I’m not concerned with her approval or denial as I’m sure she will have no problems for the most part. We both currently have our FOID cards. I’ve made 2-3 purchases with no issues. My concern is that I unfortunately had two previous non-violent and non-felony offenses 8 years ago or so.(Young, dumb and Naive) They’ve since been expunged with the state of Illinois. But, I am unsure if I need to submit a request with the FBI or not.

Would anyone be able to elaborate on what Or why someone would have to submerge for the FBI Identity History Summary before applying for a CCL? Am I just being paranoid from everything I’ve been reading? Or should I actually be worried about being Darted? Ha Are y’all seriousness any and all Assist this is really appreciated as this is all fairly new to me

Thank you again!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I may... Who would this be best suited for? My wife and I are currently taking the CCL course. We are both fairly new Gun owners and work late hours at times. (I work in the Medical Supply business she works as a retail store manager) Her record is near spotless aside from maybe a speeding ticket 5 years ago. I’m not concerned with her approval or denial as I’m sure she will have no problems for the most part. We both currently have our FOID cards. I’ve made 2-3 purchases with no issues. My concern is that I unfortunately had two previous non-violent and non-felony offenses 8 years ago or so.(Young, dumb and Naive) They’ve since been expunged with the state of Illinois. But, I am unsure if I need to submit a request with the FBI or not. Would anyone be able to elaborate on what Or why someone would have to submerge for the FBI Identity History Summary before applying for a CCL? Am I just being paranoid from everything I’ve been reading? Or should I actually be worried about being Darted? Ha Are y’all seriousness any and all Assist this is really appreciated as this is all fairly new to me Thank you again! Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For anyone who lives in Cook Co., it seems Sheriff Tom Dart's office files an objection to anyone who appears in their system - even if it's just a report or an arrest. that did not result in a conviction. It's good to know about these, get them expunged if possible, wait 6 months then check background again to make sure everything was expunged as ordered.

If you already expunged your record, do the background check to make sure it was expunged as ordered.

If I may... Who would this be best suited for? My wife and I are currently taking the CCL course. We are both fairly new Gun owners and work late hours at times. (I work in the Medical Supply business she works as a retail store manager) Her record is near spotless aside from maybe a speeding ticket 5 years ago. I’m not concerned with her approval or denial as I’m sure she will have no problems for the most part. We both currently have our FOID cards. I’ve made 2-3 purchases with no issues. My concern is that I unfortunately had two previous non-violent and non-felony offenses 8 years ago or so.(Young, dumb and Naive) They’ve since been expunged with the state of Illinois. But, I am unsure if I need to submit a request with the FBI or not. Would anyone be able to elaborate on what Or why someone would have to submerge for the FBI Identity History Summary before applying for a CCL? Am I just being paranoid from everything I’ve been reading? Or should I actually be worried about being Darted? Ha Are y’all seriousness any and all Assist this is really appreciated as this is all fairly new to me Thank you again! Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For anyone who lives in Cook Co., it seems Sheriff Tom Dart's office files an objection to anyone who appears in their system - even if it's just a report or an arrest. that did not result in a conviction. It's good to know about these, get them expunged if possible, wait 6 months then check background again to make sure everything was expunged as ordered.

If you already expunged your record, do the background check to make sure it was expunged as ordered.

Thank you for the reply Molly I really appreciate the information! If I may also ask… If the offenses resulted in a court ordered classes, would I need to address those or are those permanently on record? My apologies I may not be asking the right question or wording it correctly please let me know if not And thank you again for any and all advisement

Again both were over 8 years ago. But, I had just seen the post about CCL App being denied due to DUI and court ordered treatment. But, does that matter whether it’s been more than 8 years as in my case or 5? Submitting my Identity History request this Friday, regardless! Thank you again!

• 2 weeks later...

Again both were over 8 years ago. But, I had just seen the post about CCL App being denied due to DUI and court ordered treatment. But, does that matter whether it’s been more than 8 years as in my case or 5? Submitting my Identity History request this Friday, regardless! Thank you again! Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just now seeing this, sorry been a crazy couple of weeks. The question on the application are as follows, as long as you can answer correctly, you should be good to go.

· I do not have 2 or more violations related to driving while under the influence of alcohol, other drugs, intoxicating compounds within the past 5 years.

· I have not been in a residential or court-ordered treatment for alcoholism, alcohol detoxification, or drug treatment within the past 5 years.

Archived