Hypothetical situations while CCW/FOID is "under review"

1. Has anyone ever changed their name while waiting for a CCW or FOID to go through? Considering a CCW is taking up to five months to go through I'm sure some people have run into this issue i.e. someone gets married then changes name and address while the permit is processing. Maybe they forget about the CCW after four months of waiting and they have everything else changed over. What would happen in this situation?

2. If someone is at college with a CCW and lives in a dorm 9.5 months out of the year, either in Illinois or not, does the student then need to list the school's address as their permanent residence? If the parent(s) move and the student no longer has a place to stay, are they just stuck in limbo?

3. An individual is homeless or living out of a car/van/RV. There is a growing trend of people living out of vans-turned-RVs in this nation. Or maybe someone is couch surfing while looking for a new apartment. How does that one work? "I changed my address but do not have a new one to report."??

4. Is the requirement for reporting an address change within thirty days starting at the move-out day from the old place or the move-in day at the new place?

I have read through the majority of gun laws at the state and federal levels over the last year or so and the CCW stuff hasn't come up much. It would be great if anyone has experience in any of these situations and can give advice on how to handle them. 1 is for a friend, 2 and 3 might not be hypothetical in the next year or so. (insert nervous laughter)

Those are a lot of hypothetical's, none of which I don't have the experience or knowledge to answer. But, there are tons more questions than answers when it comes to the "what if's" and ISP. As unfortunate as it is, unless it's in the law, good luck on getting an answer to any of them. Speculation abound....

I can answer number 2. Full time students keep their home residency unless THEY CHOOSE to establish residency at the school location. Some do this to get in state tuition if their family home is in another state. Otherwise, full time students do not have to get new drivers licenses and remain eligible to vote from the family home.

Address changes can be made while FOID or CCL are pending but it does seem to create a delay in the time to issue.

What about name changes?

W.A.G?

A name change would be like going through the entire process all over again.

In this day and age... why would anyone ever change their name?

It ain't like one person has become the property of another.

Archived