Whats the truth of the situation?

gsmith2885

I will be leaving military service in April and moving to Cook county. I have heard that it is one of the most difficult locations to own firearms. I would like to find out what it is really like from someone that lives there or who has lived there. I have a resident concealed carry permit for Georgia and I know it means nothing in Illinois. There is a day planner that has a zippered section specifically made to conceal a firearm. Would that be a legal carry option? If not what legal ways other then in my trunk or in a locked case in my vehicle can I transport my firearm on a daily basis?

George

I will be leaving military service in April and moving to Cook county. I have heard that it is one of the most difficult locations to own firearms. I would like to find out what it is really like from someone that lives there or who has lived there. I have a resident concealed carry permit for Georgia and I know it means nothing in Illinois. There is a day planner that has a zippered section specifically made to conceal a firearm. Would that be a legal carry option? If not what legal ways other then in my trunk or in a locked case in my vehicle can I transport my firearm on a daily basis?

George

Ha, welcome to Crook county in the great state of #hitcago, the trunk or in a case unloaded is the only option my friend. Until the SAF and NRA get done with the lawsuits that are pending. By the way anyone have any insight into the latest with the two lawsuits?

George

Welcome to the board George. And welcome to Illinois. I'm from the saner part of the state, 'bout 3 hours south of Chicago/Cook county. Stand by, there will be several folks by shortly to lead you through the hoops of gun ownership in the NE part of the state. You'll need a FOID card no matter where in the state you land. That link will give you some info, but you can't apply till you have an IL address. Stick around the site, we'll draft you into the fight to get right to carry in the state!!

Tim

Oh, and thank you for your service!

I share your pain, having moved to this place from Florida. Carrying in a day planner is iffy at best it's akin to "fanny pack" carry which is an entirely different discussion.

Unloaded, in a case is the legal way to "transport" which is not the same as "carry."

Before going further, pay your poll tax and get your FOID. Card as soon as possible.

I would suggest moving to Lake County if you could. While the villages are not pro-gun, they are not as overtly hostile as cook county and there is no assault weapon ban in Lake. In fact any northern burb other than Highland Park will let you own whatever you please without hoops to jump through.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

George

You won't be able to carry a pistol on your person anywhere in Illinois. You can carry an unloasded pistol with the ammunition in a closed case in your vehicle but not anywhere inside the Chicago City limits. The IL Supreme Court has ruled that your console or glove box will count as a case but only if it remains closed.

There are many that would argue carrying an unloaded pistol in your day planner would be legal but I wouldn't try it. I have not heard of anyone volunteering to be arrested that way so we can make a test case in court.

Welocme to Illinois Carry, thank you for your service and once you're here, help us change the laws.

I already have my FOID card. I lived in Springfield before I joined and have maintained my Il drivers license with my mom's address. I will be staying in Niles with family at first though I will be working in Cook county most likely. The Day Planer I wanted to get was going to be used to carry my pistol around. I didn't realize the difference between carry and transport. I was thinking I could transport it anywhere as long as it was unloaded and in a case.

George

Why not stay in Georgia? We may be close to getting Constitutional Carry this year.

I and my wife will both have better job opportunities in the Chicago area. I will be looking to be a CPA when I finish school and she is an interior designer. We also have family in the area.

There are MANY reasons that don't involve guns in any way which should deter you from ever wanting to live in Cook County.

Living in Dupage county will be cheaper tax wise and you wouldn't be subject to the whims of the Crook County thieves , er I mean politicians. Living outside of Crook means you pay 20-24 cents less a gallon for gas, 1.5 to 2% less in sales tax. You could also own a evil black rifle or a standard capacity magazine. In short, there are Many benefits to living outside of Crook if you can.

Im in cook, yes there are some limitations; but as long as your outside the city, its better. Not suppose to have any mags that hold over 10 rounds, you only need a FOID to get ammo or guns, they don't need to be registered, some rifles do have problems of legality in cook. The only real problems Ive had it that standard mags that come with the firearms I own are over 10, and sometimes getting ammo shipped (well besides carry of course). Now living in Chicago is a whole nother story.

If you must come to Cook, just try not to live in Chicago's footprint. Oh and just don't bring them downtown.

As a lifelong (63 years and counting) resident of Cook County and Chicago I can without hesitation tell you to NOT move here - your evil Georgia ways and freedoms WILL get you arrested - definitely do NOT carry/transport a gun on your person within Cook County unless you have the financial means and desire to legally defend yourself following your arrest and are willing to risk losing your gun owning rights entirely. (It will not happen automatically of course, but if you get busted? Yer screwed.)

If there is any way you can choose to live in any of the many collar Counties? Do so, you WILL thank me later. You still can't legally concealed carry anywhere in this Nanny State but at least outside of Cook you can legally own an AR or AK platform, or a shotgun with a pistol grip etc.etc.etc.

George

You won't be able to carry a pistol on your person anywhere in Illinois. You can carry an unloasded pistol with the ammunition in a closed case in your vehicle but not anywhere inside the Chicago City limits. The IL Supreme Court has ruled that your console or glove box will count as a case but only if it remains closed.

There are many that would argue carrying an unloaded pistol in your day planner would be legal but I wouldn't try it. I have not heard of anyone volunteering to be arrested that way so we can make a test case in court.

Welocme to Illinois Carry, thank you for your service and once you're here, help us change the laws.

Why do you say you can transport an unloaded pistol and ammunition in a closed case in your vehicle but not on your person? State law doesn't say anything about not transporting on your person. I've heard of a few people arrested while transporting on their person, but nobody convicted. Chicago cops might arrest you for transporting in your car too, and of course nobody wants to be a guinea pig proving that Chicago cops(some anyway) don't know the Illinois gun laws.

With the exception of the gun things, heavy rush hour traffic and higher sales tax... Chicago and Cook County are fairly wonderful places to live. Even as a gun owner, I prefer living in the City to any of the suburbs.

Beware of legally keeping your gun with you at all times. Should any employer discover you... they and authorities they may alert likely won't understand. Unless it's ready to go in a fanny pack ala "Six Seconds to Safety", it might become more burden than potential life saving tool. Stashing it in a desk drawer or keeping it in your car doesn't seem appealing.

Welcome to the neighborhood and to the fight!

...You still can't legally concealed carry anywhere in this Nanny State but at least outside of Cook you can legally own an AR or AK platform, or a shotgun with a pistol grip etc.etc.etc.

I'm in a mood so I'm offering a correction:

"... but at least outside of Cook you can legally KEEP IN YOUR HOME an AR or AK platform, or a shotgun with a pistol grip etc.etc.etc."

You can legally own any of those things... you just aren't supposed to keep them in the county.

I happily stand corrected - I can legally purchase most anything that I want to store at my brother's home in Indiana - then I can still maintain 'visitation rights' - lol

"Fanny Packing" is a whole different debate, with strong opinions on both sides. It is everyone's personal decision to make and they then get to live with the consequences in silence. I choose to not 'transport' on my person. MY meager budget does not afford me the luxury of defending any other choice.

"Fanny Packing" is a whole different debate, with strong opinions on both sides. It is everyone's personal decision to make and they then get to live with the consequences in silence. I choose to not 'transport' on my person. MY meager budget does not afford me the luxury of defending any other choice.

I agree with you. Liability>Benefit (for me).

George

Where does it say that you can't carry an unloaded pistol with ammunition in a closed case in your vehicle inside Chicago City limits?

Where does it say that you can't carry an unloaded pistol with ammunition in a closed case in your vehicle inside Chicago City limits?

You cannot possess a firearm in Chicago unless it is registered in the City and even then, you can omly have it in your home. It's not State law, it's a Chicago ordinance. Any incorporated home rule muncipality in Illinois can pass an ordinance that is more restrictive then State law.

You cannot possess a firearm in Chicago unless it is registered in the City and even then, you can omly have it in your home. It's not State law, it's a Chicago ordinance. Any incorporated home rule muncipality in Illinois can pass an ordinance that is more restrictive then State law.

If you do transport a firearm in Chicago it must be unloaded AND encased AND inaccessible AND broken down in a non-functioning state.

This would remove fanny-pack carry, brief-case carry, purse carry, etc. That is, unless those are in your trunk and the firearm inside them is broken down in a non-functioning state.

Why not stay in Georgia? We may be close to getting Constitutional Carry this year.

I and my wife will both have better job opportunities in the Chicago area. I will be looking to be a CPA when I finish school and she is an interior designer. We also have family in the area.

Hi Gsmith. First of all, thank you for your service. You said you were/are familiar with the Springfield area? You do know that you have a four year free ride at Sangamon State, don't you? From what I have heard from years back, Sangamon State is one of the better schools for accounting and such-like. Walking into a firm (even in the Chicago area afterward) with that diploma would be a step up on anyone else fighting for that position. Just a thought......

Welcome to cook county! I have lived here most of my life (besides a 7 year stint down in Florida).

I would also say research the gun laws of where you are moving, some suburbs of Chicago have repressive local gun laws. Others totally bar the discharge of firearms within the towns limits with no exemption for self defence shootings. I would say if you can like others have said look in Lake or Dupage county, right now my 5 year plan has me sellind my Condo and moving out to DuPage or up to Lake in about another 3 years.

+1 on DuPage. I live in DuPage, but work in Chicago. Anywhere in Illinois is pretty bad for gun rights. But DuPage is like the rest of the state sans Cook. (only a few crazy restrictive laws other than the statewide ones.) Cook has lots of extra restrictions that don’t exist anywhere else (besides NYC, D.C. et al)

Archived