Open Carry in Illinois

kurt555gs

I personally wouldn't open carry unless it was the only option, but more power to you. This conversation isn't about my preferences. I grew up with everyone carrying concealed and not once did we wish to carry openly. Illinoisians have been deprived of their rights for so long that they have become ravenous advocates.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

How about both? Some people would like the option. There are those that would like personal defense in the city, and I agree there concealed carry is the best option so I not only support HB148, I will be first in line to apply for that license. ( along with no reciprocity, live fire for renewal, and duty to inform )

I may also just want to walk down to the local Casey's in some little town with a population of 150 with a side arm on my hip because my friend's grandma's house that I pass is now being used to cook meth. I don't want any more licenses. I just want to be safe. Open carry is just as needed here. Equally, and very different in it's purpose.

My wish is both. Concealed in the city, and open carry if you wish outside of home rule community's jurisdiction.

After sleeping on this, I am not giving up. You can bet I will be poking around in Springfield this year, and have a shiny new open carry bill ready for the next session. Hopefully the powers that be will get HB148 passed this year and then support my efforts in the next session to pass open carry.

If they don't. Shame on them.

I personally wouldn't open carry unless it was the only option, but more power to you. This conversation isn't about my preferences. I grew up with everyone carrying concealed and not once did we wish to carry openly. Illinoisians have been deprived of their rights for so long that they have become ravenous advocates.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

I know of a lot of people that would love the option to open carry, like in Texas. Nothing like having that extra garment on to conceal a full size handgun in the 90 + degree heat. We get our blast here for several weeks too and I certainly would prefer the option. Heck, there are times I will be both at the same time.

48. What does concealed mean? Can I carry my handgun in plain view?

No. The weapon can't be visible, and its presence can't be discern¬ible through ordinary observation.

49. What happens if I am caught carrying my handgun in plain view? Or what happens if my handgun is visible?

If a concealed handgun licensee is caught carrying a handgun in plain view or if his/her handgun is visible then he/she is subject to criminal charges. Specifically, he/she would be subject to prosecution for the Class A misdemeanor, Unlawfully Carrying of a Concealed Weapon by a License Holder, Sect. 46.035(a), Penal Code.

This is from the state of Texas web site Q&A page. It is common for people to think Texas is carry any way you want but as you see it is somewhat restricted. HB148 contains a much better option IMHO. Jim.

48. What does concealed mean? Can I carry my handgun in plain view?

No. The weapon can't be visible, and its presence can't be discern¬ible through ordinary observation.

49. What happens if I am caught carrying my handgun in plain view? Or what happens if my handgun is visible?

If a concealed handgun licensee is caught carrying a handgun in plain view or if his/her handgun is visible then he/she is subject to criminal charges. Specifically, he/she would be subject to prosecution for the Class A misdemeanor, Unlawfully Carrying of a Concealed Weapon by a License Holder, Sect. 46.035(a), Penal Code.

This is from the state of Texas web site Q&A page. It is common for people to think Texas is carry any way you want but as you see it is somewhat restricted. HB148 contains a much better option IMHO. Jim.

Wouldn't it be something to pass license to carry in Illinois and be envied by people in a "Wild West State"!

I agree that state wide preemption is necessary for concealed carry but for open carry it's not as important. The point isn't to confront anti's at Starbucks on Michigan ave in Chicago, but let some one without a carry permit walk their dog in a rural area, or protect a hunter from arrest on an unseen easement with out his gun unloaded and in a case.

I may well be totally wrong about open carry first, but for most of Illinois I suspect it is just as important to have unlicensed open carry, a it is to have a very restrictive concealed carry law like HB148.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

You still have the "guns on publicly supported property" problem. It's not a felony if you get rid of the AUUW charge, but a class A misdemeanor is nothing to wish on someone.

After the next election is our best shot at it. Pun intended. We might even have a court case on our side by then. Not real likely, but it could happen.

We just have to wait things out. If it takes 3 or 4 or 5 years, so what? We have waited this long. We can wait a while longer. It is not like we have any realistic options other than waiting to see what happens.

the wait won't be that long. Give it 90 days

90 days till what? I can legally strap my 6 shooter on under my coat and wonder around town? Or the next piece of the puzzle falls into place?

I believe it will be a major piece of the puzzle. I will push on until the puzzle is complete. With my 2A beliefs that will be never. The more ground we gain, the numbers of dedicated activists will decline.

Once CCW or even OC is available how much support will push on for FFL reform or repeal, class III reform or repeal.

Many CC supporters will back off once they have their government permission slip. I hope that is not the case for this site.

I agree that state wide preemption is necessary for concealed carry but for open carry it's not as important. The point isn't to confront anti's at Starbucks on Michigan ave in Chicago, but let some one without a carry permit walk their dog in a rural area, or protect a hunter from arrest on an unseen easement with out his gun unloaded and in a case.

I may well be totally wrong about open carry first, but for most of Illinois I suspect it is just as important to have unlicensed open carry, a it is to have a very restrictive concealed carry law like HB148.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

You still have the "guns on publicly supported property" problem. It's not a felony if you get rid of the AUUW charge, but a class A misdemeanor is nothing to wish on someone.

After the next election is our best shot at it. Pun intended. We might even have a court case on our side by then. Not real likely, but it could happen.

We just have to wait things out. If it takes 3 or 4 or 5 years, so what? We have waited this long. We can wait a while longer. It is not like we have any realistic options other than waiting to see what happens.

tell that to the family of the next person who get's mugged and killed, or tell that to the next woman who gets raped. This wait longer crap has got to stop, we need to start demanding results now, before too many more vote with their feet. The ONLY realistic option I see right now is risk being a fellon for something that is perfectly legal in 49 other states and I think that is horrible it has come down to that, but things aren't getting any easier, The crap that only the cities used to have to deal with are spreading out into the rural areas. I am 33 yrs old and we never felt the need to lock our doors even when out of town for a week till a few yrs ago, and now we are getting bank roberies. The criminals are getting bolder because they know it's a safe state to do business in.

I believe it will be a major piece of the puzzle. I will push on until the puzzle is complete. With my 2A beliefs that will be never. The more ground we gain, the numbers of dedicated activists will decline.

Once CCW or even OC is available how much support will push on for FFL reform or repeal, class III reform or repeal.

Many CC supporters will back off once they have their government permission slip. I hope that is not the case for this site.

Lockman,

I think you are right in many respects... It says "shall not be infringed." It is a fundamental right. The 2A was made a stand alone amendment for a reason. It is very clear. However the more educated the Black Robe is, the more complicated reasoning they use to give power to the state. However I do have hopes that with some of the work (in currently active cases) that is being done, the 5 conservative justices presently sitting on the bench, the 7th Circuit justices, there is hope that some very decisive case, and positive case law can be decided in favor of fundamental rights. If not I need to continue to figure out how to get my rear end to Free State Wyoming.

Regards, Drd

Lockman,

I think you are right in many respects... It says "shall not be infringed." It is a fundamental right. The 2A was made a stand alone amendment for a reason. It is very clear. However the more educated the Black Robe is, the more complicated reasoning they use to give power to the state. However I do have hopes that with some of the work (in currently active cases) that is being done, the 5 conservative justices presently sitting on the bench, the fdc7th Circuit justices, there is hope that some very decisive case, and positive case law can be decided in favor of fundamental rights. If not I need to continue to figure out how to get my rear end to Free State Wyoming.

And, yes once many get thrown a bone they won't worry about pursuing and further Liberty. However that is like complaining about the weather... it is human nature and cannot be helped...

Regards, Drd

the wait won't be that long. Give it 90 days

Been lurking awhile, but haven't really found anything worthwhile to say, and I'd rather not repeat what someone else has mentioned already.

That said, Todd, just wanted to say thanks to you and everyone else who is working on overturning this blatant disregard to our Constitutional right.

I also want to thank you for pointing me to the right direction in getting my father's FOID card sent to him. While it took about 4 months, several emails and phone calls, including a phone call to his state rep, it would have probably taken longer had you not paved the way for me.

Again, my thanks.

Chad

The live music scene in Chicago is actually one of the best in the nation :clap:

Yeah, if you live to get in and out.......:thumbsup:

Regards, Drd

Not quite sure I follow your comment, but my attitude is, if I am going to live in the city with the highest taxes and gas prices in the U.S., I may as well take in what it has to offer.

For all the complaining I do about living here, there is no way I would ever move to the suburbs.

Archived