Can't Edit Posts Anymore

mauserme

When I start the General Assembly update thread I normally post the House information first since their calendar is available shortly after midnight. After getting that posted and as soon as flood control allows, I make a second post immediatley below the first that I reserve for the Senate. Later, when the Senate calendar is available (shortly after 7 AM), I edit that second post to become the Senate watch list, keeping the lists contiguous. I do this because there were times when several posts by other users occurred between the House and Senate making the information harder to follow.

This method has worked up to and including the 3/9/2012 update thread but, today, I am unable to edit the second post in the ILGA Update thread.

Has something changed, or am I doing something wrong?

Something has changed on the site. I noticed this weeks ago myself. Very annoying.

I was afraid that might be the case. Its problematic because there's a lot more editing going on in those first 2 ILGA posts than people probably realize. Sometimes I need to go back to fix formatting problems I didn't have time to deal with in the wee hours of the morning, usually the Next Days Scheduled are not posted on the ILGA home page (and the printed schdeule is not always the most accurate) so I go back to add the dates, and traditionally I edit bill status to indicate passage when that happens, just to name a few reasons for edits. The process has been tweeked to keep the thread as usefull as I can think to make it without being full of unnecessary posts by me.

The same method of keeping data in contiguous posts worked well in the survey thread Molly B started. Hopefully I won't lose this technique.

I still think its different, at least for me.

If you look at the election survey thread my post #19 stated that I had gone back to edit a footnote in the Senate post (post #4). A couple days and quite a few posts had transpired at that point but my edit worked correctly. Today I do not have an edit button for any of my posts unless they are very recently posted.

The footnote that I edited, by the way, was not within the media window. It was regular text that I was able to change.

The site has been configured to have an "edit window" of 15 minutes.

This means that we have 15 minutes, from the time we originally post, to edit what has been posted. After that, its read only.

This feature was modified some time ago, but it was probably before the GA came back in session.

Can we change it back to the way it was before?

I know it can be abused, but have not seen that happen here.

(i.e. Make a post saying "Who likes pizza?" and then change it to "Who thinks Lisa Madigan is sexy?" after 20 people chime in with "I do!")

frantics.gif

This means that we have 15 minutes, from the time we originally post, to edit what has been posted. After that, its read only.

This feature was modified some time ago, but it was probably before the GA came back in session.

(i.e. Make a post saying "Who likes pizza?" and then change it to "Who thinks Lisa Madigan is sexy?" after 20 people chime in with "I do!")

frantics.gif

I'm afraid its a policy that's here to stay - sorry JT.

BTW, I got a chuckle with your example.

We'll be keeping an eye on you :poke: After all, even with the current policy, you still have 15 minutes to trap a few flies with that example.

frantics.gif

I think it's been about a year and a half since we changed it to that before that I believe it was set to five minutes and before that it was set to zero.

I must have had some special abilities or something because I've been able to edit any of my posts until now.

The only think I can point to that changed is my group is now "member" where it had been "supporting member" (for the record I did send a payment but the status hasn't been updated). That wouldn't effect anything, would it?

Archived