URGENT! URGENT! URGENT! Call Your State Rep.

Molly B.

Posted · Hidden by Molly B., February 25, 2013 at 06:18 PM - No reason given
Hidden by Molly B., February 25, 2013 at 06:18 PM - No reason given

I just had a meeting with Rep. Martwick. He left me with the impression that he is mostly on our side.

He listened and gave comments and oppinions that I liked.

Molly: Should we call other reps as well? Do we have a list?

http://illinoiscarry.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=33645

I just finished emailing every member of the house. I have received some positive responses already, and one with a request for my home address. I sent them the address and said, while I realize I am not in his district, his vote will certainly affect me.

I just talked to my Rep's secretary in Springfield, really nice older woman. She said they've been getting bombarded by calls from people who are "very upset" over this, chatted with her for a few minutes to develop rapport (and because I'm just a nice guy). I informed her that 1155 is a shell bill, she didn't seem to know that. According to her, the snow is supposed to clip Springfield (I'm getting hit head-on by it).

Guys, just a suggestion. Keep your emails and phone conversations brief. Just state your position, the position that you want the rep to take and thank them for their help. The long, 4-5 paragraph notes or 10 minute phone conversations need to be kept 'till after session.

Short and to the point.

1. vote NO on any bill or amendment not endorsed by NRA/ISRA/Illinois Carry.

2. vote YES on any bill or amendment that IS ENDORSED by NRA/ISRA/Illinois Carry.

No bad bills, no bad amendments.

Literally, that's all that needs to be gotten across at this point.

Tim

Oh it was a ~5 minute convo, she just didn't really understand that HB1155 is a shell bill that has made it out of committee (whereas 0997 will not be allowed out). Once that was out of the way, I reminded her of the snow. Explicitly stated "'Yes' on NRA/ISRA/Illinois Carry endorsed amendments. 'No' on bill or amendment not endorsed by NRA/ISRA/Illinois Carry" I'm not worried about my Rep, I was only worried that he didn't have a clue what Madigan has planned (and no one really knows).

Guys, just a suggestion. Keep your emails and phone conversations brief. Just state your position, the position that you want the rep to take and thank them for their help. The long, 4-5 paragraph notes or 10 minute phone conversations need to be kept 'till after session.

Short and to the point.

2. vote YES on any bill or amendment that IS ENDORSED by NRA/ISRA/Illinois Carry.

Tim

I live in Chicago, with a die-hard anti-RKBA state Representative and Senator. Suggesting that they should support anything promoted by the NRA/ISRA will likely get whatever I write immediately discounted and ignored. So, my letters try to appeal to their alleged belief in equal protection before the law, non-discrimination, and the impact of onerous laws and restrictions on those of lesser means and influence versus the criminals who prey on them. I understand that even that is highly unlikely to have any positive impact whatsoever, but at least it's an attempt to get through to those who putatively "represent" me. If only.

Short and to the point.

Tim

I live in Chicago, with a die-hard anti-RKBA state Representative and Senator. Suggesting that they should support anything promoted by the NRA/ISRA will likely get whatever I write immediately discounted and ignored. So, my letters try to appeal to their alleged belief in equal protection before the law, non-discrimination, and the impact of onerous laws and restrictions on those of lesser means and influence versus the criminals who prey on them. I understand that even that is highly unlikely to have any positive impact whatsoever, but at least it's an attempt to get through to those who putatively "represent" me. If only.

+1, putting anything that says NRA approved will probably trigger a negative reaction with my rep, so I see trying to get to them from a different angle would be better (I tried the, "we can't afford to continue a legal battle with what's constitutional" angel). What good is making it short and sweet if your rep will essentially ignore it if they're not friendly to the NRA? In a writing class, I learned to basically put your request first, then put the preamble after instead of the other way around.

Short and to the point.

Tim

+1, putting anything that says NRA approved will probably trigger a negative reaction with my rep, so I see trying to get to them from a different angle would be better (I tried the, "we can't afford to continue a legal battle with what's constitutional" angel). What good is making it short and sweet if your rep will essentially ignore it if they're not friendly to the NRA? In a writing class, I learned to basically put your request first, then put the preamble after instead of the other way around.

In another thread I gave some of my strategy for staying away from mentioning the NRA because it may put off some Reps. "Please stand firm with your fellow democrat Brandon Phelps and support only the amendments he approves." Jim.

The secretaries are still in the offices in Springfield? Or the local district offices? I'd call again but I figured they'd be outta the office already. I don't even know if my rep is home or in Springfield.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Archived