Photo

How many grains do the experts recommend for bullets in your carry gun?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 CHICAGO HANDGUN OWNER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 21 May 2019 - 08:38 PM

I use 115 grain FMJ bullets at the range. Not bad recoil at all. Do I need to use 147 grain hollow points or will 115 grain hollow points be good enough for defensive loads? Another question for the experts. 

#2 Bubbacs

#Fear The Clown

• Supporting Members Team
  • 2,730 posts

Posted 21 May 2019 - 09:03 PM

My guess would be any of those posted in this thread:
http://illinoiscarry...showtopic=72029

After getting the answer to TMJ vs FMJ lots of guys gave the grain also.
But you'd have to be actually looking for this answer first.

Rant Off..........smfh

#3 mikew

• Members
  • 4,856 posts

Posted 21 May 2019 - 11:30 PM

Grain weight can have an effect on real and perceived recoil.

Changes to the actual amount of recoil can affect the proper functioning of a semiauto handgun.
I once saw a maximum grain weight spec for a 9mm pocket pistol, if I recall correctly.

Changes to the actual amount of recoil can affect point of aim on a snub-nose revolver.
I had a snub-nose .357 that was spot on with 158 gr, but with 125 gr, I was off target and low.

If I raised the rear sight unnaturally high, I could get back on target with that 125 gr ammo, 
but I quit using it. 

Practice with ammo that has same the grain weight and muzzle energy that you are carrying.

#4 RandyP

• Members
  • 3,686 posts

Posted 22 May 2019 - 01:26 AM

I'm thinking grain weight in a hollow point matters a whole lot less than being able to have the bullets strike somewhere near where intended. I also am having a hard time imagining a scenario in which a 115gr HP bounces off a bad guy but a follow-up hit with a 147 grainer is effective.

I do agree that different bullet weights can/will have different points of impact, but with practical self-defense distances from muzzle to target being the length of a rowboat, it probably won't change the outcome of a SD shooting very much.

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

#5 Illinois Sucks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 22 May 2019 - 06:12 AM

I practice with 124gr FMJ and carry 124gr HST.

"If the representatives of the people betray their constituents, there is then no resource left but in the exertion of that original right of self-defense which is paramount to all positive forms of government... The citizens must rush tumultuously to arms, without concert, without system, without resource; except in their courage and despair."     Alexander Hamilton

#6 RandyP

• Members
  • 3,686 posts

Posted 22 May 2019 - 06:23 AM

On a related note and perhaps to answer your next "what do the experts think" post - and following up on the reality that what kind of bullet you carry or how many doesn't matter at all if you miss your target - I honestly don't think it matters much what caliber one carries if the diameter of the bullet is somewhere in the .350 - .450 diameter range when it hits the person whose actions you are trying to discourage.

I am well aware that ALL calibers have the potential to be lethal in a SD situation and conversely that NO handgun caliber has any 'knock-down' power. That is pretty much reserved for Parrott rifles and above. them boys has some knock-down power I garrontee.

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

#7 mikew

• Members
  • 4,856 posts

Posted 22 May 2019 - 09:08 AM

I do agree that different bullet weights can/will have different points of impact, but with practical self-defense distances from muzzle to target being the length of a rowboat, it probably won't change the outcome of a SD shooting very much.

My experience with the snub-nose revolver was an eye-opener. 

YMMV

#8 TRJ

The Original TRJ, Accept No Impostors

• Supporting Members Team
  • 8,609 posts

Posted 22 May 2019 - 10:50 AM

Speer Lawman brand ammo practice ball is formulated to mimic carry ammo velocity/recoil. Also see Winchester Train and Defend, and Federal has a similar package I believe as well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users