Ruger lcp custom review

22cal

I bought the ruger lcp custom a week ago and took it shooting the other day

The sights are way better then original lcp which basically had no sights.

The new aluminum wider trigger is nicer and it has a steel guide rod instead of plastic.

I shoot htp hollow points and some Winchester and silver bear ball ammo a total of 100rds and not one jam or ftf. It shoot nice. Recoil was good and I did put a hogue grip on that really works nicely.

Here's shooting at 15'

post-7225-0-19705200-1436934453_thumb.jpg

post-7225-0-30122800-1436934512_thumb.jpg

When I bought my R9 there weren't any tests available for the Hornady XTP and rounds like the Lehigh Xtreme Penetrator weren't around yet.

So all the tests for .380 ammo either showed the rounds stopping short of 10" penetration (when they expanded) and the FMJ, even truncated flat nosed penetrating 17-18 inches and even zipping out the back of 19" blocks.

I think 380 ammo is only going to get better.

My P3AT makes a great BUG or primary carry depending on wardrobe for the day. 6+1 and a spare mag and it almost disappears in a pocket holster. I currently carry Hornady Critical Defense FTX rounds.

I agree that 9mm short (.380ACP) is a compromise but I surely don't feel unprotected. It was the standard police round in Europe for mighty long time.

All you .380 guys are going to make me compromise my principal of not owning gun chambered smaller than 9mm. It's small, it's light, it has real sights. :)

.380 is 9mm in diameter. :angel:

The new aluminum wider trigger is nicer and it has a steel guide rod instead of plastic.

I shoot htp hollow points and some Winchester and silver bear ball ammo a total of 100rds and not one jam or ftf. It shoot nice. Recoil was good and I did put a hogue grip on that really works nicely.

My "plain old" LCP has a steel guide rod. Bought new, 3 or 4 years ago. Not that I think a plastic guide rod is a problem.

The Hogue grip thing, yeah, made it tolerable to shoot.

This just may make me sell my tcp. My buddy just bought a bodyguard 380 plus trigger and spring kits. Gun is right at 400. saw these for 320. only thing i dont llike is the no slide lock on last shot. I may be able to get past it

But I have to admit im curious about this as well

http://remingtonhandguns.com/rm380

Basically a copy of a much more expensive gun.

I have one of the last gen versions of the LCP and ended up replacing the trigger, guide rod to stainless, and guide rod springs.

The only thing that sucks are the sights. I ended up having to put a dab of acrylic paint on them.

I like that they now have sights, but if I were to buy another 380, it'll be the Sig P238. They're slightly thicker than the LCP, but roughly the same size.

Thanks for the review. I'm glad that they've finally put sights on it. Although I'm still not sure why they didn't do that to begin with. Hopefully it's not because they know that people would sell the gen 1 and 2 in order to upgrade.

I've had one for about 4 months.. it is often my carry because it just disappears.

I'll add to the review if I may,.

It's not a fun range gun for me, it's small size and non existent weight give you a bit of the kick when shooting. So it's a bit snappy but it's mission is deep conceal not fun range gun.

the trigger on the custom has slightly less travel.

I like the sights, the original lcp had about nothing, there is a gen 2 with pronounced little nubs, and these new ones. They are nice to add but I also see this as a close sub 20 feet into the center mass type of gun. My front sight fell off after a month of carry, but ruger sent me a shipping box and had it replaced and fixed in 7 days returned from date of shipping. Second issue I had was with my oem 7 round mag not fitting into it. They replaced my lower hand area of the gun also.

So in summery, it's a bit snappy, but I carry it over others , it's very small, and I had great customer service from ruger.

I've had one for about 4 months.. it is often my carry because it just disappears.

I'll add to the review if I may,.

It's not a fun range gun for me, it's small size and non existent weight give you a bit of the kick when shooting. So it's a bit snappy but it's mission is deep conceal not fun range gun.

the trigger on the custom has slightly less travel.

I like the sights, the original lcp had about nothing, there is a gen 2 with pronounced little nubs, and these new ones. They are nice to add but I also see this as a close sub 20 feet into the center mass type of gun. My front sight fell off after a month of carry, but ruger sent me a shipping box and had it replaced and fixed in 7 days returned from date of shipping. Second issue I had was with my oem 7 round mag not fitting into it. They replaced my lower hand area of the gun also.

So in summery, it's a bit snappy, but I carry it over others , it's very small, and I had great customer service from ruger.

If you want to ease up the recoil on it, look into getting the Hogue grip. It makes a world of difference because it adds a wee bit of meat to the grip and cuts back the perceived recoil.

I don't know how many pounds of pressure,. It's a consistent pull ,

there isn't a safty on the lcp, and as this is a true pocket gun, your safty is in the pull pressure. I believe it to be a double action not striker fired, so if you want a glock like trigger pull , the lcp isn't the same.

Some people were moding thier lcp trigger so included in the custom version is a different trigger (it's red color only) that has less travel than the standard trigger., also in the custom version is a stainless spring guide rod, and fixed front and rear sights.( the standard lcp didn't have any, the newer gen 2 lcp has very small little nubs)

• 7 months later...

Shot me an LCP custom tonight...

So...I'm not understanding all the 'problems' that I've heard/read about these lil 380's :blink:

(And this LCP checks in at about 9.x oz's! One of the lightest!!)

I'll admit..this was the FIRST time I've every shot a 380. As I loaded it, I'm preparing myself for it to flip out of my hand..for it bang me up.....NOPE!

Its not that snappy..and its more accurate than I would have expected...

Dare I say???...It was actually FUN to shoot.

Again..first time I shot a 380/LCP.. With all I've read about them, I was just expecting to 'hate' it..

After 100+ rounds..I was enjoying it and I could easily do more!!

Who ever complains bout these things (well the LCP anyway) probably considers a 22 a 'wild stallion'... :rofl:

Not too shabby!

http://www.doodnet.com/images/lcpfirstshots.jpg

http://www.doodnet.com/images/lcpfirsthornady.jpg

Mine is so much easier to shoot (and grip) since I got the Hogue Handa grip. About $10 on Amazon and it makes a world of difference.

I've read about those thingies....

BUT...from tonight? I'm thinkin' its not necessary.

The only 'slight' negative about the grip, for me, is because the grip is so thin, and I wear a ring on the 'ring finger', there was some funky jiggle when firing due to needing such a tight wrap around it.... Perhaps that hougue grip would cure that(?)

The Hogue Handall grip also adds some thickness. Guy friend shot mine recently after the grip was added and he said it made a huge difference. He could really get a good grip on it versus before without the Hogue grip.

Understood....

Its all about individual preference...

(Big hands..and all that... :rofl:)

But seriously folks....as far as I can tell, the 'purpose' is deep concealment. And my experience with this lil puppy? I was very impressed!

Bottom line...In my humble opinion.

Its not that snappy, hard to control (etc), firearm I've 'read' about.

I was actually IMPRESSED!! I could shoot it all day.!

The dang thing is TINY, uber concealable and can put rounds on target.

I...LIKE it.

I didnt expect to like it. I was prepared to 'deal with it'....

WRONG!! ...not withstanding any debates over the 380 round and any given defense version..I give it a thumbs up!

I shot perfecta ball, Hornady Critical defense, and Liberty defense

Ball ran fine..Hornady ran fine...The liberty with the HUGE hollow point had one failure to feed. So...from my silly, limited datapoint,..take it for what its worth... :)

Overall? I'd still call it RELIABLE. (Having shot only 100+ rounds on this particular specimen)

Conclusion??

First outing with a 380...LCP...It was a HOOT! :)

I had the lcp custom for over a year now and love it. I have shot over 200rds through it and not one jam or problem. I have the Hogue grip on mine also and it made a huge difference in handling of the gun. I can stay in a 6" circle target at 10-15-20 feet. I carry this gun the most and I own 5 different pistols. I would recommend it to everyone.

Folks are absolutely right about the Hogue Handall small size grips. Couple those with a Galloway Precision 13# recoil spring set and you have a much better feeling, and significantly less snappy shooting experience. You can install all of the above with your eyes closed.

How is the trigger on the LCP custom? Thinking this may just be my next purchase .

As I stated..it was my first 380...

I'm aware of the the complaints of the Version 1's with the Loooong trigger pull.

(I'm a 'glocktard'...so figure that into it)

The DOA...was 'all good'..for me. It didnt have that brutally long pull that I was expecting and was the 'evil downfall' of the original LCP.

I was 'expecting' it...but the first time I dry fired it, I was thinking..'This thing? It 'works'"

To 'me' anyway? It was 'all good'....and if you look again at the pics above, my first rounds were acceptable.

I can only suggest checking it out...I dont think you would be disappointed... (again..this is coming from striker fire 'glocktard')

@MagSlap

First, it's me, not you!

I looked at your pics of the LCP Custom and the box of ammo.

I stared at it, even attempted to turn my iPad sideways to get a better view, but here goes.

The box of ammo looks to cover more than 1/2 of the size of the firearm.

And looking at how you are holding it, your grip on the ammo looks better than anything you could do on the LCP.

Now, I know absolutely nothing about "Deep Concealment" so I'm here to always learn.

But I can't bring myself to fire/test/purchase a firearm that I can't hold with all three lower fingers holding the grip.

Again, I'm still scrolling back and forth looking at those pics, just wanting to make sure what I'm seeing.

But is it actually that tiny?

Thanks for reading, and hope you understand my personal confusion.

Bubbacs,

Yes, the LCP and LCP custom are really that tiny.

When I work with it at the range with the standard 6 round magazine, I can only get my middle finger and 1/2 of my ring finger on the grip, my pinky curls under the base of the magazine.

I recently picked up a 7 round extended magazine, and when that magazine is inserted, I can get a full purchase with my ring finger, my pinky still curls under the base of the magazine.

-Keith.

@MagSlap

First, it's me, not you!

I looked at your pics of the LCP Custom and the box of ammo.

I stared at it, even attempted to turn my iPad sideways to get a better view, but here goes.

The box of ammo looks to cover more than 1/2 of the size of the firearm.

And looking at how you are holding it, your grip on the ammo looks better than anything you could do on the LCP.

Now, I know absolutely nothing about "Deep Concealment" so I'm here to always learn.

But I can't bring myself to fire/test/purchase a firearm that I can't hold with all three lower fingers holding the grip.

Again, I'm still scrolling back and forth looking at those pics, just wanting to make sure what I'm seeing.

But is it actually that tiny?

Thanks for reading, and hope you understand my personal confusion.

Yes...the lil SOB is THAT tiny!!! :rofl:

And that is the one of the unmentioned point of my ''review"....

This lil sucker is a surprisingly controllable shooter....

I was honestly shocked as to how well it performed and handled...

(I have a few vids from tonight....One looks good..let me think about posting it.....)

Archived