Flying into O'Hare with firearms

Molly B.

New York and New Jersey are danger zones for lawful gun owners. If you're flying through or diverted to an airport in NY or NJ, do NOT claim your luggage. You will be arrested, FOPA is meaningless there. Better a night in a hotel in day old clothes than a BS felony charge and time in jail. Just let the airlines get it to your destination... Eventually. Or MAYBE claim your luggage, rent a car and drive back to America as fast as legally posted. But do NOT try to re-check your gun. You will be arrested for what is supposedly protected by federal law.

This was the first hit in google. The next few are defense lawyers that specialize in "airport gun" cases in Queens County. Yes, charges can stick, but you need to lawyer up.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2013/06/10/nyregion/lawful-handguns-departing-for-new-york-but-unlawful-upon-arrival.html?pagewanted=all

FOPA does not cover you when the restrictive state/city IS your destination - only while traveling thru it. In this example, New York was the destination - so he had to comply with New York laws - and he seemingly did not.

Any examples of people being arrested when traveling thru (like having to re-check enroute)?

no problem for me. going out, at the ticket counter let them know, they will fill out a delcaration that they are unloaded. then make sure they have an agent walk with them down to the TSA scanner, they will look at them, check the case then close it up and lock it for you.

today my rilfes came out on the regular baggage carosel with all the other bags just picked them up and walked away

no problem for me. going out, at the ticket counter let them know, they will fill out a delcaration that they are unloaded. then make sure they have an agent walk with them down to the TSA scanner, they will look at them, check the case then close it up and lock it for you.

today my rilfes came out on the regular baggage carosel with all the other bags just picked them up and walked away

You back?

Woot! Welcome back!

When I left New Orleans to come back, they wanted the original paper I got when I claimed on the way down. I think they suspected that I flew down, bought a gun, and flew back. (which would be illegal) Luckily I still had it in my book bag.

According to federal Law. I brought a handgun with me. It is illegal under federal law to transfer a firearm over state lines. Thats why if you buy a handgun in indiana, you have to have them ship to a FFL in illinois for the transfer. If I had flown down to Louisiana without a handgun, then upon returning I had a handgun. It is very possible I acquired that Handgun Illegally. Im sure there are circumstances you could think of that would fit that just fine. But in my case I think they assumed that right off hand. In the end I was fine, just held up 20min longer. (until I found the card) Holding on to that card can save some headache on the return flight.

Interesting. I've traveled dozens and dozens of times, maybe a hundred, with a firearm in checked baggage and have never been asked for an earlier declaration. While what you say is true (you can only legally accept transfer of a firearm in your state of residence), I think I'd tell the guy to go screw himself if he questioned me about "where did you get this gun?". Perhaps you have a second home in one of the other states and you are bringing the handgun home. There's nothing on the declaration form itself that says anything specific about the gun. Maybe you have one gun, flew from point A to B, left the gun there, flew from Point B to A and then another trip back from A to B and brought the gun home from point B to A. Or maybe you're a FFL holder and you can acquire a firearm in any state.

So, yeah, pretty much think the guy was being a jerk. The least I'd do is say "Nope, sorry don't have the prior card." And, depending upon his attitude (and my willingness to miss a flight), I'd maybe ask him to explain why he's making up regulations and if he would kindly show me where in the airline policy it says I need to keep prior declaration forms.

While things are typically smooth, I would recommend leaving at least 30-45 minutes of extra check-in time at O'Hare. In about 8 trips (United and AA) with pistols or rifles, it typically takes only 15-20 extra minutes but I had one extra-long check-in with clueless, hoplophobic AA agents and another 30 minute experience due to a huge line at the scanners. Interestingly, I also had a 25 minute experience in Phoenix about 2 years ago with an agent who had no idea why someone would want a gun. My best experience was in Anchorage where firearms are handled frequently.

I had an early experience with an AA agent who insisted the special paper went INSIDE the gun case (Pelican case containing 2 pistols, empty mags, and ammo in factory boxes) rather than in the suitcase that I hide the case in. After arguing over and over that this was incorrect with her and the coworker (dragged in to echo instead of think for herself), I finally gave up and did what she said as time was getting short to make the flight. I made it to the departure terminal only to have to rush to the depths of a separate terminal where TSA needed me to unlock the case because the special paper was not where it was supposed to be and my guns appeared to be undeclared. In the end, all the TSA people liked my guns and case (what agency do I work for?) and said that the airline employees frequently give bad instructions to their great frustration. It was a huge pain and I was sprinting across O'Hare on a really hot day to make my flight.

Lesson learned: now I always print a recent copy of the TSA regulations and the specific airline regulations and stick them in the gun case. Pulling these papers out ends the argument with the agents who-- while allegedly trained-- do not deal with firearms most of the time and may not be in a customer friendly mood for whatever reason. If they still want to argue, I will now always arrive early enough to wait for a supervisor to end conflict. I fly a lot and even regular travel is difficult some days... any twist may only add to the complexity so tell your friends to be prepared ahead of time.

I haven't had any problems at O'Hare, flying in or out. Your luggage is not marked in any way regarding its contents. It's the same old honor system when you pick it up.

The particular airline may have different tariffs than TSA regarding firearms, so it pays to check. Always carry copies of the TSA rules and those of that airline. Most clerks are knowledgeable, but not all even know their own rules. I haven't had to show it clear to a clerk in at least five years. I was never comfortable racking the slide with so many sheeple around, so I started locking the slide back in the case after that. The TSA X-Rays will show if the gun is loaded or not, regardless of the slide.

I put the weapon in a lockable steel box, as small (and light) as practical, and attach it to the suitcase (roller handle frame) with a steel cable.

The only problem I've encountered was ammunition. AirTran tried to say the ammunition had to be in a separate suitcase or locked container. It doesn't. TSA allows ammunition in any suitable container, or magazines if the open end is covered, even in the same container as the firearm. It just can't be in the firearm. AirTran follows the TSA rules without changes. You can't carry more than 11 pounds at a time, including the container. That's 250 rounds of .45 ACP. (I carry just enough to fill the weapon and two spare magazines. Any more, I can buy when I get there.)

My suitcase, pistol included, was lost in transit from Seattle this summer. The airline (Southwest) snapped to attention when so informed. It was found (in Seattle) and delivered to my doorstep the next morning.

Always check and double check that the weapon is clear. You can be charged and fined or imprisoned regardless of intent.

• 2 weeks later...

Doesn't it also matter what firearm (and magazine) it is? If they are flying in with an AR-15, vs say a mouse sized revolver, I would think it could get nasty with the former vs. not with the latter.

Chicago and Cook County are weird like that perhaps?

I don't think that the TSA at ORD even know that you've got firearms in checked luggage coming from other airports. I'm not aware of CPD giving anyone any trouble about it. Unfortunately the police in New York and New Jersey will do everything they can possibly do to jam you up, so don't fly there with firearms and don't take flights that stop or might get diverted there, when flying with firearms.

I've only flew out of Midway with a pistol, but there it was as described. For the record, CPD doesn't give a hoot. TSA deemed my case insecure and called CPD to see if they had something for me to rectify and they came over but had nothing. They sent me to Home Depot for a junky locking case and CPD was fine with me transporting my gun away and back.

• 1 month later...

Doesn't it also matter what firearm (and magazine) it is? If they are flying in with an AR-15, vs say a mouse sized revolver, I would think it could get nasty with the former vs. not with the latter.

One important law change that affects this: while it's illegal to possess AR-15s in Cook County / Chicago, state law pre-empts transportation of all firearms.

So as long as you're just passing through (going to any county in the state besides Cook or Wisconsin/Indiana/etc) and Chicago / Cook County isn't your actual destination, you're entirely protected by state law.

Passing through O'Hare is no problem, although I agree about having the rules printed out. Southwest at Midway lost my suitcase with the pistol inside... briefly. They had people scrambling all over the bowels of the airport looking for a lost "hotbox". They found it in about 40 minutes, I was pretty impressed with their response.

One important law change that affects this: while it's illegal to possess AR-15s in Cook County / Chicago, state law pre-empts transportation of all firearms.

So as long as you're just passing through (going to any county in the state besides Cook or Wisconsin/Indiana/etc) and Chicago / Cook County isn't your actual destination, you're entirely protected by state law.

Considering the "transport" is across state lines, you also have federal transport laws on your side.

Just returned home from a round trip flight from ORD to MEM and back.

2 handguns in tow in a Pelican case. 2 non TSA keyed padlocks and another lock (slide lock), around the frame of the luggage and handle of the pistol case. 1 box of ammo inside the checked luggage as well.

No hassles at ORD or MEM on both trips.

In fact, I kinda chuckled. On the return flight, I brought back a bottle of pretty good whisky that I bought down in TN. Didn't drink it all and packed it up. They spent more time checking my liquor than they did my firearms.

American Airlines has this down pat. They were great.

First time flying with pistols and it was a success.

• 2 months later...

I've flown on Spirit Airlines to Vegas and Ft. Lauderdale numerous times. Absolutely no problems at all. I think most of the airlines have come to accept that we are the good guys and they have nothing to be afraid of. NEVER had a PD involved.

Before I tried it for the first time, I read many of the posts above. It made the whole process MUCH easier. Information really is the key!

Many thanks to all who contribute here!

• 3 months later...
Very helpful thread. I plan on flying to Tampa in August to pick up my youngest daughter and drive back home with her. I do not have my CCL yet. Have had my FOID for 37 years. I have been checking Handgun US to try and figure out if I can legally FOID carry thru the various states. At least I know the process thru Midway thanks to this helpful thread.

Very helpful thread. I plan on flying to Tampa in August to pick up my youngest daughter and drive back home with her. I do not have my CCL yet. Have had my FOID for 37 years. I have been checking Handgun US to try and figure out if I can legally FOID carry thru the various states. At least I know the process thru Midway thanks to this helpful thread.

I've flown to Florida several times now with my handgun in checked luggage (including Tampa), and to half a dozen other states over the past year. If I'm allowed to carry at my destination and don't have other restrictions (such as lodging on a military base or taking a MILAIR flight, where it is prohibited), the handgun goes with me.

Many many times out of ORD and no issues. In fact if you walk up to the express line and tell an agent you have a firearm to check, they call TSA and you are taken to a private room where you show them the firearm is unloaded and they have you close it and lock it and put a tag inside that says it was declared. Make sure this is done as it is the only recourse you have if it gets scanned later and your bag is opened. This happened to me and things almost went sideways when they couldn't find the declaration tag. I was called back and a group of TSA and cops were waiting. I know right away what it was about and I had the agents names that inspected my bag. A little more looking at the tag was found in a crack and all was well.

Get the name of the person checking your firearm and for easy passage, pull the bolt or the slide. This way, all you need do is open and close. It's been a couple years since I transported, so YMMV.

PS Locking case inside regular suitcase for handguns. This keep the average worker in the dark about their being a handgun in the bad; Also, people waiting in claim.

Many many times out of ORD and no issues. In fact if you walk up to the express line and tell an agent you have a firearm to check, they call TSA and you are taken to a private room where you show them the firearm is unloaded and they have you close it and lock it and put a tag inside that says it was declared. Make sure this is done as it is the only recourse you have if it gets scanned later and your bag is opened. This happened to me and things almost went sideways when they couldn't find the declaration tag. I was called back and a group of TSA and cops were waiting. I know right away what it was about and I had the agents names that inspected my bag. A little more looking at the tag was found in a crack and all was well.

Get the name of the person checking your firearm and for easy passage, pull the bolt or the slide. This way, all you need do is open and close. It's been a couple years since I transported, so YMMV.

PS Locking case inside regular suitcase for handguns. This keep the average worker in the dark about their being a handgun in the bad; Also, people waiting in claim.

Be careful about your luggage: locked or not, those pieces with nylon zippers can be undetectably opened by using a bic pen or similar to separate the teeth. Operating the zipper pull will "heal" the zipper, and your stuff is gone without a hint of forced entry.

Be careful about your luggage: locked or not, those pieces with nylon zippers can be undetectably opened by using a bic pen or similar to separate the teeth. Operating the zipper pull will "heal" the zipper, and your stuff is gone without a hint of forced entry.

It has to be in a hardcase and locked... then you put it in the regular suitcase. ;) Sorry if I was unclear. EDIT: The object here is to limit the amount of people who know there is a firearm in your luggage.

Thanks all. I feel pretty comfortable about taking a handgun along with me. Mainly for,thenride back with my 2 kids in the car. I have a hard Pelican cigar case that has foam inside and is lockable with padlocks on both corners. It is too hard to pry open. I am thinking this should be ok.

It has to be in a hardcase and locked... then you put it in the regular suitcase. ;) Sorry if I was unclear. EDIT: The object here is to limit the amount of people who know there is a firearm in your luggage.

You were not unclear, I think maybe I was... I was referring to your regular suitcase. Many are closed by nylon zippers, not with mechanical clasps that lock like the classic Samsonite hard side cases. If your suitcase is closed with nylon zippers, it can be opened and resealed without a trace. Unless you secure your locked gun case to the internal framework, it's vulnerable to anybody with a pen. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mf-DGKUNffI

Just returned from Orlando and and was able to experience in readable level of ignorance by the agent at the frontier airline desk. After declaring the firearm, the paper work went inside the case( same when I left ORD). Then the magic question from the agent, will you be checking the bag with the firearm or carrying it on with you. My wife an I just looked at each other and shook our heads and told her I would be checking the bag. The agent then said she would have to escort me to the TSA baggage check to make it gets on the plane properly. LOL, all on all it went well

Archived