Disarming yourself every time you go in to a GFZ is not practical

I think that disarming yourself every time you go in to a GFZ is not practical. What happens if you are in your car and then pull your gun out to store it and someone sees you with a gun? Isn't that called brandishing a firearm? It defies common sense to have to remove a loaded firearm in public and then put it back on you when you get back in your car. What about if you are on foot walking up to a store that you don't know is a GFZ until you get to the door? Its a total pain in the *ss. What about going to a church for a wedding or funeral service only to find out that the buildings are GFZ? There shouldn't be any GFZs once you are licensed to carry in my opinion.

Try putting a gun from 1 in the chamber to legally transporting while driving at highway speed while reading the definition of that states legal requirements for transport.

There isn't always a spot to pull off the road at state border crossings. You'd think they would think this stuff through when passing laws...

Gun free zones, non reciprocating states, etc. make carrying more dangerous then it has to be.

Try putting a gun from 1 in the chamber to legally transporting while driving at highway speed while reading the definition of that states legal requirements for transport.

There isn't always a spot to pull off the road at state border crossings. You'd think they would think this stuff through when passing laws...

Gun free zones, non reciprocating states, etc. make carrying more dangerous then it has to be.

+1

I think that disarming yourself every time you go in to a GFZ is not practical. What happens if you are in your car and then pull your gun out to store it and someone sees you with a gun? Isn't that called brandishing a firearm? It defies common sense to have to remove a loaded firearm in public and then put it back on you when you get back in your car. What about if you are on foot walking up to a store that you don't know is a GFZ until you get to the door? Its a total pain in the *ss. What about going to a church for a wedding or funeral service only to find out that the buildings are GFZ? There shouldn't be any GFZs once you are licensed to carry in my opinion.

If I end up somewhere that is a GFZ I generally just turn around and leave. In the half dozen or so times I've had to disarm I can remove my firearm from it's holster and transfer it to storage in the car and nobody has been the wiser. I find it slightly harder to transfer from storage to my on-body holster.

Which is why I don’t carry despite having a license. I work in chicago and rely on public tranport.

Generally I find a restroom about a block from my L station to unload and stow my firearm. I know I'm taking my chance for about a block or so walking to the L stop unarmed. Getting off the L I will find a public restroom I can use arm myself again. I am not saying it's ideal, I'm just saying it's what I do.

If I am going into a post office, school or courthouse, I just put my firearm, holster and all, into the glove compartment. I purchased a second gun that I keep unloaded in a pack for when I'm going into places that have the signs up. Technically, I'm legally transporting a firearm, not carrying.

I agree that unloading to get on public transportation is a pain...

If I am going into a post office, school or courthouse, I just put my firearm, holster and all, into the glove compartment. I purchased a second gun that I keep unloaded in a pack for when I'm going into places that have the signs up. Technically, I'm legally transporting a firearm, not carrying.

I agree that unloading to get on public transportation is a pain...

This is pretty much what I do. If I know I'm going to the post office or DMV, etc. I will have my holster on but not the weapon, when I leave there I will holster. If I go to a grocery store or some minor GFZ I will just go in carrying. No one knows and I seriously doubt that I'd get caught. It's a chance I'm willing to take.

Which is why I don’t carry despite having a license. I work in chicago and rely on public tranport.

Generally I find a restroom about a block from my L station to unload and stow my firearm. I know I'm taking my chance for about a block or so walking to the L stop unarmed. Getting off the L I will find a public restroom I can use arm myself again. I am not saying it's ideal, I'm just saying it's what I do.

yeah, trust me i know the drill, it's the only way I can carry ... basically always on the lookout for the ~20 places that are illegal or signs, handling a loaded gun in restrooms. I really hate it and it's unsafe (or well, just not very nice at all at the very least - everywhere else I keep the gun in the holster at all times and never take it out, but i cant do that here thanks to the law)

but that's what the law says, and that was the intention - to make it hard to carry

I hate to be 'that guy', but... Just my opinion, but I don't think it's a good idea to announce to everyone you are carrying into gun free zones. I would hate for that statement to come back and bite you in the worst way. And as for the Post Office, the gun isn't allowed on federal property. The car exemption isn't legal there.

I asked a friend of mine who's still in the Marines to get a picture of a clearing barrel from on base so that I can share it with some legislators. For those who don't know, on military bases they have 55 gal. drums at various places, usually painted red (in the Marines anyway) with a hole on the top for you to put your muzzle into when you clear your firearm in case of an unintended discharge. In fact I had a friend who was an ammo tech who was busted down from corporal because he charged a round in the cab of the truck on the way to the ammo dump in the morning, his M9 Beretta service pistol went off and a bullet lodged in the heater core, which he later tried to repair himself. hahaha So yeah, it's a stupid, stupid addition to the law, rounds are far safer at rest in the chamber than being messed with in a place where you don't want them going off, it's why I have a sand bucket in my house. My friend forgot about it by the way, I need to remind him. Eh, I guess there are photos online... And I don't know all the specifics, he may have been clearing and pulled the trigger, it was over 20 years ago. Either way, bad idea.

960x1000_q95.jpg

Clips_EZClip.png

This style of clip is awesome. They provide excellent retention when used in combination with a thick quality gun belt and let you take the gun off while still in the holster. Without having to remove your belt.

I rarely take my carry gun out of the holster because it's where you're most likely to have a nd/ad.

Given the history of brands like Sig, Taurus, and others at some point someone will make a gun that wears out and fires either by racking or decocking.

It's annoying, but with the right holster I wouldn't quite call it impractical. I have to disarm often, between going to the bank, going to work, etc.. I take my Shield off and put it on in the holster most of the time, although I do keep the holster on sometimes when I disarm. I've only ever had one person see me reholstering (in a car across and to the left of me), was an awkward exchange of looks but nothing more. The reality is, most people aren't paying enough attention to notice.

Pocket carry (in a holster of course) makes it pretty easy to remove from the pocket while sitting in a car or truck and placing the gun in the console or the glove compartment. Its a lot easier than trying to remove an OWB or IWB holster attached to your belt. If I know I am going somewhere where I cannot carry, I usually put the gun into a coat or jacket pocket when leaving my house to make it even easier to retrieve the gun and secure it in the car before I go into the posted location.

I don't mean to sound like a jerk, but...while I agree with you that it makes no logical sense for a licensee to disarm...that's what the law says. And, part of having the license is that you agree to abide by the law as written.

You can do what you like and take the risks associated with it. But, it's your responsibility to be prepared to encounter GFZs...provided it's properly marked or statutorily mandated.

That being said, you're not required by law to keep your weapon concealed during disarming. If someone sees you, they could choose to call the police. Be prepare for that. You are allowed to place your weapon in the trunk of your vehicle in the parking lot of a GFZ. That applies even to schools. Someone may see you. You're not required to keep them from seeing you. The police are aware of this in most places.

I went to an information session put on by the Palatine Police Department a few months ago concerning school shootings and the plans they have in place and the role of parents in the event the unthinkable happens. The officer who put on the discussion specifically mentioned to parents that they should be aware of concealed carry and if they see someone in a school parking lot putting a handgun in their trunk, or getting one out, it doesn't necessarily mean a school shooting is about to go down. He said if you're concerned, call the police and they will come handle the situation. I presume they will stop and ask the person in question if they have a CCL and to present it to them.

I disarm myself everyday when I arrive at work and arm myself again when I leave. My employer is marked with a non-compliant sign. However, they can still fire me for violating policy if I'm discovered to have a gun on me. I don't feel like losing my well-paying job. I have dark tinted windows and no one can see...or cares to see...what I'm doing in there. I have another "fun" car for summer that doesn't have a safe in it. I store the weapon in my trunk. I do look around to see who might be watching. I do this mainly because of the concern of theft of the weapon more than anyone getting freaked out about seeing a gun.

If we want changes to the law, we need to start electing people who will change it...or we need court decisions.

Have fun and be safe!

I hate doing it also, but I rarely find myself in that position.

We're not the only one's with this problem. This poor fellow shot himself trying to reholster in his vehicle after leaving a gun show this weekend in Iowa.

""It's a freak accident," he said Monday. "I'm glad no one else got hurt. He went to his truck, loaded the gun and put it in the holster, and it went off."

Stay safe!

-- Frank

while it sucks I've found it not all that difficult.

When I'm going to have to disarm I carry a Kahr CM9 in a Braids Pocket holster.

1. Park Car

2. Rotate my a$z 45 degrees to port

3. Extend right leg slightly

4. Place right paw into right front pocket

5. Remove pistol and holster as a unit

6. Rotate my a$z to normal position.

7. Place into center arm rest thing.

8. Exit vehicle

9. Close door

10. Lock door

11. Confirm door is locked

viola ...

while it sucks I've found it not all that difficult.When I'm going to have to disarm I carry a Kahr CM9 in a Braids Pocket holster.1. Park Car2. Rotate my a$z 45 degrees to port3. Extend right leg slightly4. Place right paw into right front pocket5. Remove pistol and holster as a unit6. Rotate my a$z to normal position.7. Place into center arm rest thing.8. Exit vehicle9. Close door10. Lock door11. Confirm door is lockedviola ...

I've also found that I can stand up like a human and do it with the car door open by stepping out and turning my strongside toward interior.

You really only have to worry about a GFZ if it's one of the listed 23 statutorily restricted areas. List here

In a GFZ you have to receive "notice". Those signs on the door are not legally notice. You could've been distracted and not seen the signs. There are 100 scenarios you can type up where someone didn't notice a GFZ sign.

In order for you to have legally binding notice, you have to be told verbally or issued written notice.

So, if you're in a GFZ store, and an employee notices you're carrying, what would most likely happen is you're asked to leave the store, and you leave.

That's it.

I hate to be 'that guy', but... Just my opinion, but I don't think it's a good idea to announce to everyone you are carrying into gun free zones. I would hate for that statement to come back and bite you in the worst way. And as for the Post Office, the gun isn't allowed on federal property. The car exemption isn't legal there.

This can happen, unless certain precautions are taken. Great advice though.

You really only have to worry about a GFZ if it's one of the listed 23 statutorily restricted areas. List here

In a GFZ you have to receive "notice". Those signs on the door are not legally notice. You could've been distracted and not seen the signs. There are 100 scenarios you can type up where someone didn't notice a GFZ sign.

In order for you to have legally binding notice, you have to be told verbally or issued written notice.

So, if you're in a GFZ store, and an employee notices you're carrying, what would most likely happen is you're asked to leave the store, and you leave.

That's it.

Where did you get your training? If this is what they're teaching, you should ask for your money back. If the sign is posted at the entrance "clearly and conspicuously" it has the full force of law.

You really only have to worry about a GFZ if it's one of the listed 23 statutorily restricted areas. List here In a GFZ you have to receive "notice". Those signs on the door are not legally notice. You could've been distracted and not seen the signs. There are 100 scenarios you can type up where someone didn't notice a GFZ sign. In order for you to have legally binding notice, you have to be told verbally or issued written notice. So, if you're in a GFZ store, and an employee notices you're carrying, what would most likely happen is you're asked to leave the store, and you leave. That's it. I hate to be 'that guy', but... Just my opinion, but I don't think it's a good idea to announce to everyone you are carrying into gun free zones. I would hate for that statement to come back and bite you in the worst way. And as for the Post Office, the gun isn't allowed on federal property. The car exemption isn't legal there. This can happen, unless certain precautions are taken. Great advice though.
Hmmmm...joined yesterday, 4 posts total, posting ridiculously off-base version of prohibited places and signage law...anti troll or really bad CCW training? If the later, ask for a refund. There are plenty of folks here who can put you right on what the law says.Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

That's it.

With the bolding being mine, You are completely wrong on both accounts.

And I have to ask, where did you get your information from?

Archived