Cops Kill Permit Holder in Las Vegas

Gary

I would never reach for my gun while being confronted by a police officer. They would have to remove it from me.

The picture shows the gun in the holster though , so he wasn't trying to shoot anyone. He did make a grave mistake in disarming himself under those conditions. Sad, very sad .

That about sums it up for me.

Survey: How Would You Rule In The Erik Scott Coroner's Inquest?

--Choice ----- Votes ----- Percentage of 2,997 Votes

=====================================

Justified ----- 1,443 ----- 48%

Excusable ---- 191 ------- 6%

Criminal ----- 1,363 ----- 45%

This shooting and the dirty aftermath have pretty much scratched off Las Vegas as a place I will ever consider visiting.

I'm starting my own REMEMBER ERIK SCOTT, BOYCOTT VEGAS campaign starting with myself.

J

Me Too!

I had dinner with a friend over the week-end. He told me that he had just joined Costco. The fact that he has joined will probably not be undone, but when it is time for the renewal, I feel certain that the incident in Las Vegas will have a negative impact.

Costco is like so many individuals and institutions like the major media. Losing customers or veiwers will do little to influence a change in their thinking or practices because they think they are smarter and better than the masses.

Where is the poll? That is a very small number of responses for LV

The survey link appears in the story text in blue. Just as I posted the link above.

Survey: How Would You Rule In The Erik Scott Coroner's Inquest?

It's several lines up from the end of the story text. Just above the Previous Stories list at the end.

The current number of responses to the survey are 4,031.

--Choice ----- Votes ----- Percentage of 4,031 Votes

=====================================

Justified ----- 1,744 ----- 43%

Excusable ---- 241 ------- 6%

Criminal ----- 2,046 ----- 51%

Witness: Costco Shooting ‘Gratuitous Violence’

Coroner's Inquest Now In Fifth Day

POSTED: 11:48 am PDT September 27, 2010

UPDATED: 11:53 am PDT September 27, 2010

fox5vegas.com

LAS VEGAS -- A criminal defense attorney who witnessed an officer-involved shooting outside a Summerlin Costco delivered a damning indictment of two Las Vegas Metro police officers during a coroner’s inquest hearing on Monday.

“This was gratuitous violence,” said Howard Brooks, the third witness to take the stand and describe the shooting of Erik Scott, who was gunned down outside the store on July 10 after police said he drew a handgun on officers.

Brooks said he saw one officer approaching Scott after the store had been evacuated.

“The police officer says ‘Drop it!’ and bam, bam, bam!” Brooks said. “It was absolutely immediate.”

“There was not a one-second interval between ‘Drop it!’ and the three shots that were fired,” he added.

Brooks said he saw Scott falling toward the ground and watched as two other officers opened fire.

“I couldn’t see any reason in the world why these shots are being fired,” he said. “In my opinion, the shootings by officers two and three were completely gratuitous.”

“I think if the officers followed him to the car and had a conversation with him, none of this would have happened,” he said.

Brooks’ testimony lent credence to the argument by Scott’s family that the 38-year-old was not a threat to police and was cooperating when he was shot.

Representatives with the Clark County District Attorney's Office, however, were quick to point out that Brooks' testimony differed from many of the other witnesses. Brooks also denied that he was biased against police officers.

One witness said Erik had "angry" eyes. What the "H" is that? Maybe that was fear.

Another witness said he did a fast draw on the cops. Yet, I am sure that I read somewhere that his gun was in his holster. If the facts show that he did not pull the gun, why do we have a witness testifying otherwise.

The more I read, the more I think that there are some witnesses that are biased in favor of the city, the police, or the powers that be.

Am I just showing my own bias?

One witness said Erik had "angry" eyes. What the "H" is that? Maybe that was fear.

Another witness said he did a fast draw on the cops. Yet, I am sure that I read somewhere that his gun was in his holster. If the facts show that he did not pull the gun, why do we have a witness testifying otherwise.

The more I read, the more I think that there are some witnesses that are biased in favor of the city, the police, or the powers that be.

Am I just showing my own bias?

I believe it's just the way different individuals deal with and remember stressful situations. Even Officer Mosher - who fired the first two shots - couldn't accurately remember the words he shouted at Erik Scott before firing. His testimony didn't match the 911 recording which captures some audio of the shooting.

It's just an incredible, freakish coincidence that the video surveilance failed shortly before the shooting incident.

Jury: Officers Justified In Scott Shooting

POSTED: 4:25 pm PDT September 28, 2010

UPDATED: 5:46 pm PDT September 28, 2010

LAS VEGAS -- After five days of testimony, the jury in the coroner's inquest looking into the police shooting of Erik Scott, 38, has come to a decision.

The seven-member jury ruled that the three Las Vegas Metro police officers were justified in shooting Scott outside a Costco in Summerlin July 10.

The jury had the choice between justified, excusable and criminal.

Officers William Mosher, Josh Stark and Thomas Mendiola all testified about their reasons for shooting and killing Scott, who many witnesses testified raised a gun toward Mosher when confronted by the officer.

Las Vegas Sheriff Doug Gillespie will hold a press conference Wednesday at 10 a.m. at Metro's downtown offices.

Since the inquest began on Thursday, FOX5 has run a Web poll to gauge the community's on how they would vote if they were a member of the jury.

The majority of those participating in the poll -- 51 percent -- said they would vote the officers' action were criminal. Forty-three percent said they thought the officers' actions were justified. Just 6 percent thought the officers' actions were excusable. That poll is now closed.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Las Vegas officers honored for 'heroic' Costco shooting

Two Las Vegas police officers who shot and killed Erik Scott in the controversial Costco shooting last year have received honors in a national officer of the year award.

Officers William Mosher and Joshua Stark received honorable mention in the National Association of Police Organizations' Top Cops awards.

My link

Two Las Vegas police officers who shot and killed Erik Scott in the controversial Costco shooting last year have received honors in a national officer of the year award.

Officers William Mosher and Joshua Stark received honorable mention in the National Association of Police Organizations' Top Cops awards.

My link

gasp.... What the hey!!!?

My link

Wow, really screw up and kill someone who is posing a questionable threat and you get nominated for National Officer of the Year and receive honorable mention. Then the amazing statement "I don't see it as controversial shooting he said about the Costco shooting." "What potentially could have been a bad situation they brought to an end with no citizens being hurt." So Erik Scott wasn't a citizen, was he chopped liver or what?

A third officer involved in the shooting, Thomas Mendiola, was not honored. In January, Mendiola was charged with a felony for unlawfully giving a handgun to a two-time felon in an unrelated case. He has a preliminary hearing in May.

i wonder if he's the doofus that started the contagious fire?

A third officer involved in the shooting, Thomas Mendiola, was not honored. In January, Mendiola was charged with a felony for unlawfully giving a handgun to a two-time felon in an unrelated case. He has a preliminary hearing in May.

i wonder if he's the doofus that started the contagious fire?

I hate it when I catch a fire.

Archived