Carrying/transporting on public transit

McCroskey

I've been working night shift and the train stop near my home in Chicago is isolated and several of the street lights are out. So, I've been FOID transporting one of my carry guns to the office, then when I arrive back home, I walk to the exit, reload and holster and I'm on my way.

I know carry on the CTA and Metra is disallowed, but transportation is. Question is, would it be illegal for me to reload and holster inside the shelter on the platform, or do I have to be totally off the property?

I believe you have to be off the property:

(8) Any bus, train, or form of transportation paid

for in whole or in part with public funds, and any building, real property, and parking area under the control of a public transportation facility paid for in whole or in part with public funds.

^ Unless the platform constitutes a public right of way. Not saying it does, but there is an exception if it did.

I believe you have to be off the property:

(8) Any bus, train, or form of transportation paid

for in whole or in part with public funds, and any building, real property, and parking area under the control of a public transportation facility paid for in whole or in part with public funds.

^ Unless the platform constitutes a public right of way. Not saying it does, but there is an exception if it did.

El platforms are beyond turnstyles and payment card readers, so I think you would have a hard time arguing public right of way.

To clarify, this is a Metra platform rather than an L platform. Not that it really matters.

Guess I'll stick to reloading after I step through the exit. It's good that there isn't anyone at all around that time of night and that it's pitch black there because there's no place to really hide out of the way while I do it and some idiot would probably call the police on me.

The public transit ban is thoroughly asinine.

To clarify, this is a Metra platform rather than an L platform. Not that it really matters.

Guess I'll stick to reloading after I step through the exit. It's good that there isn't anyone at all around that time of night and that it's pitch black there because there's no place to really hide out of the way while I do it and some idiot would probably call the police on me.

do you carry a tach light? might offer an advantage in low light.

do you carry a tach light? might offer an advantage in low light.

Heh, well I'm usually carrying an old Colt Police Positive snubby, can't think of one that would work with it. I don't know why but I never even thought about bringing my mag light with me for the dark patch. Oh well, back on days next week.

My Metra transport / city carry is not chambered (yes, I know....), and I have a second that is locked in the car for when I get back to the suburban station that is chambered.

This allows me to not have to keep chambering and clearing. It's silly, yes. But it beats either not having a firearm available, being the cause of a MWAG call or breaking the Law.

Archived