WILL ILLINOIS EVER HAVE RECIPROCITY WITH OTHER STATES?

Do any of those states have laws that say nonresidents can obtain a permit? This is where I believe Illinois stands alone.

Hmmm... Good question. But while Illinois does open the door to non-resident applicants, as you know, it uses the "substantially similar" phrase to significantly narrow the scope.

Other states already accept our permit. HI and SC (I think) residents are eligible to apply for an IL non-resident permit for the low, low price of $300.

IL will never just let someone from another state come over here and exercise their rights without paying for it.

There are currently 19 states that will honor our IL CCW license:https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/cfprint111100000001111110000101100000001001000011011000010.php

There is 20 states that recognize us not 19.

Other states already accept our permit. HI and SC (I think) residents are eligible to apply for an IL non-resident permit for the low, low price of $300.

IL will never just let someone from another state come over here and exercise their rights without paying for it.

There are currently 19 states that will honor our IL CCW license:https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/cfprint111100000001111110000101100000001001000011011000010.php

There's 19, including Illinois. 18 excluding.

Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Idaho, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Mississippi, Missouri, North Carolina, Oklahoma, South Dakota, Tennessee, Utah, Vermont, Wisconsin

Unless one was added after Wisconsin, anyway.

Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Idaho, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Mississippi, Missouri, North Carolina, Oklahoma, South Dakota, Tennessee, Utah, Vermont, Wisconsin

Michigan.

Michigan.

Only for resident licenses. That applies to all states Michigan recognizes.

Michigan.

You know who I am ....and I like you...and don't take this to heart....if I was making a priority list....I can name 20 items that come ahead of non-residents on my list....sorry if you don't agree...but the reality is that if Illinois Carry is going to pick legislative priorities...non-resident CCL instructors are a priority....your situation is relatively unique...and I hope you understand that....not that I don't fully support what you are asking for...just not among my top ten items.....reality is what it is.

Let's take a BIG step back...there are PLENTY OF STATES THAT WILL HONOR ILLINOIS CCL.....there won't be any more states that Illinois will honor..besides HI and SC due to the substantially equivilent standard under 430 ILCS 65/8(e) does everyone understand that???

Actually, Illinois doesn't honor ANY other states, not even HI and SC. Residents of those states qualify to apply for a non-resident permit from IL. That is way different from IL "honoring" those states.

What is your understanding of the "substantially similar" requirement? You seem pretty convinced the list will be limited to only HI and SC. How do those two states meet this requirement but no other states qualify?

A state may not have reciprocity with a state which does not have reciprocity with it.

I think Illinois is not at all set up to have reciprocity, ever, with any state. Illinois may recognize permits or licenses with certain other states in as far as those folks will be able to buy an Illinois license... HA, SC?

Utah does not have reciprocity with Illinois. Reciprocity is.... Come on, you know... A two way street!!!

Mandatory nationwide recognition of the CCW permits or licenses of all might be really nice someday. Sorta like a DL.

Actually there is 20. Illinois honors itself lol. That's what I was meaning earlier. You get a total of 20 states all together at this time.

Actually there is 20. Illinois honors itself lol. That's what I was meaning earlier. You get a total of 20 states all together at this time.

Your forgetting the state of Michigan

You know who I am ....and I like you...and don't take this to heart....if I was making a priority list....I can name 20 items that come ahead of non-residents on my list....sorry if you don't agree...but the reality is that if Illinois Carry is going to pick legislative priorities...non-resident CCL instructors are a priority....your situation is relatively unique...and I hope you understand that....not that I don't fully support what you are asking for...just not among my top ten items.....reality is what it is.

Why would you place issues surrounding non-resident CCL instructors higher in the legislative priority queue than issuing licenses to non-resident applicants? The former will support very few students if the latter isn't addressed first.

Why would you place issues surrounding non-resident CCL instructors higher in the legislative priority queue than issuing licenses to non-resident applicants? The former will support very few students if the latter isn't addressed first.

To my mind, non-discriminatory license issue would be an extremely high priority.

Michigan.

Opinions, sometimes they stink.

My situation isn't that unique, especially one as unique as yours. Not with 20,000 active duty military in Illinois at any given time. Add in their spouses and you really have 30,000+. The military community is one of the most pro 2A communities in the country. Even if only 10% wanted the Illinois nonresident license (and I'm willing to venture a guess that the real number would be higher) I think that's a high enough number to put a little priority on. Furthermore, most military personnel move an average of 6-9 times in a 20 year period, with a typical stay in one location being about 3 years. So, at the low end you are swapping 1,000+ nonresidents with a pro firearms POV that would want a FCCL annually. Somebody is going to get hit with this eventually. In fact, somebody in the military living in Highland Park did get hitwith somethinglike this within the last 2 years. Prior to the FCCA, Highland Park had a handgun registration requirement (Chapter 134). That service member got hit with violating that law, among at least 1 other weapons violation charge. I don't have much detail in the matter due to client-attorney confidentiality, but what I have shared is via a JAG attorney I know.

Regardless of the facts, I'm the one living in this situation, therefore my perception is that it is more important than you value it. Yes, there are other subjects to tackle too, such as the amount of GFZs, especially mass transit. Imo, those fail in comparison to Constitutional Rights such as equal protection. If you think my life, and my families, is less important than yours than I will take up grievance with that.

Now, I get where you are coming from. We've had conversations in both face-to-face and PM format on a few different subjects. We won't always agree, but I thought we were adults and wouldn't diminish the others' stance. In case I'm not clear enough about my position, anything that takes away ones civil rights is a very high priority. I'm a staunch supporter the Bill of Rights and COTUS.

Keep in mind I did NOT say that I didn't support what you were seeking.....the issue that was implicit in my comment was that given the craziness that came out of the Illinois Auditor General's April 2012 report over the issue of mental health reporting and the "substantially similar" requirement, I think getting a change on that one is a HUGE battle, and my point was whether its worth spending all of the political capital that it is going to take to get that changed.

I am going to buck the trend...

YES. Illinois WILL have reciprocity. "Ever" is a very long time. It may not be true reciprocity in that residents that have permits from other states may carry here, but there will be some way for out of state visitors to carry legally without getting a standard Illinois license.

(I don't foresee any changes to this effect in the next 6-8 years at the earliest)

Yes, that's exactly why I said there are 19 states that recognize Illinois. Of course Illinois recognizes Illinois, which makes it a total of 20 states.

Let's take a BIG step back...there are PLENTY OF STATES THAT WILL HONOR ILLINOIS CCL.....there won't be any more states that Illinois will honor..besides HI and SC due to the substantially equivilent standard under 430 ILCS 65/8(e) does everyone understand that???

Looks like Virginia has been added; the ISP is making changes to the online application to allow it.

http://illinoiscarry.com/forum/index.php?/topic/48501-South-Carolina-Reciprocity

• 2 weeks later...

I emailed my reps about the National Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Act of 2013 (H.R. 2959). This was the return email from Dunce Durbin - What a maroon...

Thank you for contacting me about the National Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Act of 2013 (H.R. 2959). I appreciate hearing from you.
This bill would amend the federal criminal code to authorize a person with a valid concealed carry permit issued in one state to exercise those rights in all states.
Over the past several years, a number of states have enacted laws permitting individuals to carry concealed weapons. Congress has seldom legislated on the issue of concealed carry, having passed laws allowing qualified individuals in certain occupations to carry concealed nationwide notwithstanding state and local laws. The Credit Card Act of 2009 also included a provision preventing the Secretary of the Interior from enforcing or promulgating regulations prohibiting an individual from possessing a firearm in national parks, although individuals remain subject to existing state laws.
As a member of the Senate Judiciary Committee, I will keep your support for concealed carry in mind as the committee discusses gun issues. We must strike a proper balance between promoting public safety while protecting Second Amendment rights.
Thank you again for contacting me. Please feel free to keep in touch.
Sincerely,
Richard J. Durbin
United States Senator
RJD/ph

Here's an interesting thought a had today.

Most of us know about the nonresident debacle. There are now 3 states determined to be substantially similar in concealed carry laws to Illinois -- Hawaii, South Carolina, and Virginia. Let's break this apart. Hawai'i is May Issue ams doesn't issue to nonresidents. South Carolina is Shall Issue, but good luck getting a permit there unless you are active duty military stationed in South Carolina or happen to own land there. That leaves us Virginia, a Shall Issue state, and the permit is very easy to obtain. There are even a few instructors for the Virginia permit that are teaching in Illinois.

Imo, recognition/reciprocity should be sought with these 3 states, and any others that pass the substantially similar test in the future. ISP has given us a crack to exploit with the acceptance of Virginia. I don't think they could effectively argue against recognition of the Virginia permit. Furthermore, Virginia's permit is $100 for nonresidents and the VSP are required to issue within 45 days of receiving the application per state court ruling. The Virginia fee would likely be ISP's strongest argument against this, too which I recommend or reply be to lower FCCL fees to be similar to Virginia ($50 resident/$100 nonresident).

I think we'll see quite a few states recognizing ours because we hold the highest standards for training and background checks, for the same reason, I don't think we'll see Illinois recognizing many others with lower standards. Furthermore because they offer the ability for non-residents to obtain an Illinois permit and most of all because that non-res permit will be a source of additional revenue. Think about that a second and tell me if you think Illinois will ever recognize out of state permits? lol

Archived