Praying for a solution to gun violence

GarandCollector

http://www.oakpark.com/News/Articles/10-10-2017/Praying-for-a-solution-to-gun-violence/

Praying for a solution to gun violence

Chicago Archdiocese makes statement with "no guns" signs

Tuesday, October 10th, 2017 4:52 PM

The debate within the Chicago Archdiocese about displaying "no guns" signs on the doors of churches has been around for years, with some pastors choosing years ago to post the now ubiquitous signs seen on the doorways of businesses and restaurants.

Cardinal Blase J. Cupich, Archbishop of Chicago, made it official in September, issuing a decree making the signs mandatory at all property controlled by the Archdiocese.

The decision is timely, considering it came about a month prior to the deadliest mass shooting in U.S. history, with gunman Stephen Paddock firing thousands of rounds of ammunition into a crowd gathered for a country music show in Las Vegas, leaving 58 dead and about 500 injured.

"This policy is rooted in the belief that our churches, schools, administrative facilities or any other facilities owned, leased or operated by the Archdiocese are intended to be sites where people come to gather, pray and worship in safety and peace," Cupich wrote in the decree. "The intent of this policy is to balance the rights of all who approach Archdiocesan churches, schools or other facilities with the greatest possible protection for children, the elderly and otherwise vulnerable people of our society."

Intentional or not, the policy also has the effect of sending a message about the state of gun violence in Chicago.

Oak Park churches are taking different approaches to posting the signs for some it's a message worth sending, for others the signs are an ugly reminder of the scourge of gun violence in modern life.

Rev. James F. Hulbert, pastor of Ascension Parish, 808 S. East Ave., sent a letter to parishioners following the announcement of the decree, noting, "Being greeted as we approach our church, with the entrances defaced by 4-inch by 6-inch images of a handgun with a red line drawn through it, is not what I would prefer for us and our children.

"None of us," he continued, "is going to rest easy thinking we will be safer or less likely to get shot in church."

"As I try to make peace with this new rule, my thought is to try to use these ugly signs as prompts to greater solidarity with those who have suffered from gun violence," he wrote. "Looking at the image of a pistol as I enter church, I will say a silent prayer for those whose lives have been upended by the criminal use of these weapons."

Hulbert said in a telephone interview that he sought an opinion from the Archdiocesan legal office and has since opted to display the sign in the vestibule, past the front door of the church.

He said he believes the new rule aims to show "solidarity toward anybody who's concerned about gun violence."

Rev. George Omwando, pastor of St. Catherine-St. Lucy Parish, 38 N. Austin Blvd., said in a telephone interview that his parish believes the signs make sense. The parishioners of Omwando's church, located on the border of Oak Park and the Austin neighborhood of Chicago, have greater exposure to gun violence, he said.

"Here we are very sensitive on the issue of guns and the impact it's had on people's lives," Omwando said, noting that a teenager was shot dead about a block away from St. Catherine-St. Lucy earlier this year.

Omwando said he placed a "no guns" sign prominently on the door of the church a few years ago. "You can't miss it," Omwando said, adding that it sends a strong message to the Austin community.

Rev. John McGivern, pastor of St. Edmund Parish, said his church posted the signs about two years ago. But unlike Ascension and St. Catherine-St. Lucy, the church chose to place the decals at the bottom of the door.

"We are believers in this; a church, school, hospital or public place is no place for weapons," McGivern said in a telephone interview. "In putting those stickers up, that's our way of saying we do not promote violence, and we do not support people bringing [guns] when they come to worship. It seems antithetical to what we're about."

McGivern acknowledged that there is likely "a political dimension to it, but there's also a theological, spiritual component."

"It has nothing to do with not supporting people's right to arm themselves that's in our Constitution but it's meant to [get people to] think about this at a deeper level," he said. "What does it mean to bring a weapon into a church or a school or a public place?

"I'm glad Cardinal Cupich has made this decision to make this mandatory throughout the Archdiocese."

Oh, a completely biased anti-gun article coming out of Oak Park. What a shock!!! How about interviewing the many parishioners who are upset by the LWW Cupich and are now looking for new church homes. How about the fact that he is upsetting good Catholics for absolutely no reason and ramming this down the throats of local priests who do not agree? How about the fact that this SJW Cupich seems more interested in left-wing temporal causes than in things which are spiritual?

They could have accomplished their goal of showing solidarity with victims by posting the Ten Commandments....specifically #6; "Thou shall not murder." Furthermore, they could have backed up their stance by allowing parishioners with permits to arm themselves for the obvious purpose of protecting the innocent. Good grief. When will they figure out that the bad guys don't give a hoot about their signs, or their symbolism?

There was a time when Catholic priests were known to be intellectuals. It seems they're mostly political hacks now.

It's apparent that Father Hulbert is reluctant to post the sign and probably has some pro-gun leanings. Perhaps he's even well aware of the fact that the sign only applies to people who have gone through the trouble to get a license to carry. He realizes the sign will do nothing to keep his parishioners safe.

I visited Ascension this past August for a party held in the parking lot. The school was already posted at that time according to the law. Obviously the clergy there is aware of the signs and the law.

The comments of the other priests are completely incoherent. They need an education. So does the archbishop. Oh, well. If parishioners don't like it, they know where the door is.

This will be a mute debate once the legislature makes all places of worship GFZs.

I'm not sure how they can do that given the Shepard case. The state was sued for stripping the woman of her right to self defense when she was attacked. The attack happened in a church. That's the only reason we have concealed carry in Illinois.

If someone is attacked in a Catholic church that's posted, I hope they'll be sued.

This will be a mute debate once the legislature makes all places of worship GFZs.

I'm not sure how they can do that given the Shepard case. The state was sued for stripping the woman of her right to self defense when she was attacked. The attack happened in a church. That's the only reason we have concealed carry in Illinois.

If someone is attacked in a Catholic church that's posted, I hope they'll be sued.

Don't look now but I believe two bills have been filed (or whatever the correct term is) that would make all places of worship GFZs.

Would the church or the entire diocese be on the hook? How about just sue the Cardinal instead since this is where the entire problem began.

Cardinal Blase J. Cupich, Archbishop of Chicago and especially Michael Pfleger are chasing Catholics away from the church. I was raised old school Catholic which meant fasting (not just no meat) on Fridays during lent. I went to Catholic schools. I went to confession every week. That all being said I walked away from the Catholic Church years ago. The general opinion with the people I went to Catholic schools with is that Pfleger should have been excommunicated years ago, the man is a disgrace to the Catholic Church and a opportunist.

I realize that religion is a touchy subject but when you feel that the money that you are tithing every week is supporting people like Pfleger and the myriad of multi million dollar lawsuits against the Catholic Church, you begin to think. For me I began to think that I was giving money to the largest and most well run corporation in history. I am no longer a Catholic and actually feel that all churches should be taxed like corporations. If the Catholic Church wasn't a "church" I am pretty sure there is huge RICO case that could be brought against them. That is just my opinion.

I now have a personal relationship with my maker and don't need anybody to tell me on how to interpret a book. If anybody feels offended by what I wrote, I did not intend to offend you. I'm just sick of something I was baptized into and now have a very different opinion on.

By all means feel free to believe in what you want, that's your right.

I'm a recovering Catholic myself. I pretty much agree with you completely. However, I still think fellowship and worship with other believers is an important part of my faith. I've gone Lutheran in recent years, but I've had about enough of them. They're basically "Catholic lite". But, it seems, they're very liberal. There seems to be less focus on God in their churches and more focus on humanistic ideas. Yes, they run through the prayers and go through the motions. In my experience, it seems hollow. If someone else gets gratification from it, great. I don't feel spiritually enlightened when I attend.

In the last week, I found a small Southern Baptist church locally. I really like it. Every word is focused on Christ. The people are joyful. The pastor built the church on donations and volunteer labor. He moved here from California with nothing but a calling and built the church from the ground up. His faithfulness is astounding.

In trying to be worldly and appeal to more worldly concerns rather than truth, the Catholic Church is actually undermining itself.

I haven't lost my faith in God, just organized religion.

Hit it on the head there. I grew up Catholic and just don't agree with how they have proceeded any longer (this GFZ is yet another in a long list of examples). For me, I no longer attend church, however, I haven't lost faith, stopped praying or trying to be a good person. For now, I have found peace in the type of spiritual relationship that I have.

• 3 weeks later...

Cardinal Cupich's behavior is scandalous, and unbecoming a prelate of the Church. He openly discriminates against law abiding gun-owners, and believes that they are the same as the criminal scum they are defending ourselves from. His policy contradicts Church teaching. He acts of the flesh instead of of the spirit.

In short, he's a sinner.

Having said that, he is still my bishop. I miss Cardinal George, he brought sanity into the Archdiocese and was a man with the gift of prophecy. However, Cupich is a bishop, with the proper apostolic succession, and authority over the Church of Chicago. Despite being an embarrassment and a political hack.

The Catholic Church is a field hospital, in the middle of battle, with plenty of sick people inside. We are not here because we think the bishops are holy or that the Pope is a great guy, but because of the Great Physician, Jesus Christ.

Jesus Christ is not a polygamist.

Jesus Christ is not a divorced man, and remarried.

He is the Bridegroom and is faithful to his Bride.

The gates of heck have not prevailed over the Church, though they have tried with all their strength!

I recall a quote from history:

At one point, the dictator (Napoleon) launched into another tirade, telling Pius’ adept, seen-it-all Secretary of State, Ercole Cardinal Consalvi, that he would “crush” the Roman Catholic Church.

The cardinal sighed and shook his head over the emperor’s naivete. "If in 1,800 years we clergy have failed to destroy the Church, do you really think that you'll be able to do it?" he answered.

God writes straight with crooked pencils like Cupich, and me too. Praise be to God!

Cardinal Cupich's behavior is scandalous, and unbecoming a prelate of the Church. He openly discriminates against law abiding gun-owners, and believes that they are the same as the criminal scum they are defending ourselves from. His policy contradicts Church teaching. He acts of the flesh instead of of the spirit.

In short, he's a sinner.

Having said that, he is still my bishop. I miss Cardinal George, he brought sanity into the Archdiocese and was a man with the gift of prophecy. However, Cupich is a bishop, with the proper apostolic succession, and authority over the Church of Chicago. Despite being an embarrassment and a political hack.

The Catholic Church is a field hospital, in the middle of battle, with plenty of sick people inside. We are not here because we think the bishops are holy or that the Pope is a great guy, but because of the Great Physician, Jesus Christ.

Jesus Christ is not a polygamist.

Jesus Christ is not a divorced man, and remarried.

He is the Bridegroom and is faithful to his Bride.

The gates of heck have not prevailed over the Church, though they have tried with all their strength!

I recall a quote from history:

At one point, the dictator (Napoleon) launched into another tirade, telling Pius’ adept, seen-it-all Secretary of State, Ercole Cardinal Consalvi, that he would “crush” the Roman Catholic Church.

The cardinal sighed and shook his head over the emperor’s naivete. "If in 1,800 years we clergy have failed to destroy the Church, do you really think that you'll be able to do it?" he answered.

God writes straight with crooked pencils like Cupich, and me too. Praise be to God!

The Catholic Church does not have a monopoly on God. There's no reason for you to accept this bishop or this pope if they're not leading the flock in a Christly manner. There are other options.

They still don't seem to understand that the signs DO NOT apply to the general public, only to "licensees" under the Act, and the statutory citation is shown right on the sign.

Actually, this seems to be the misunderstanding of just about everyone who decides to put up the sign. Even the legislators who passed the law and put in statutorily-banned places into it make the same mistake. They think making Cook County forest preserves and public schools prohibited places that they're protecting someone from criminals.

The Catholic Church does not have a monopoly on God. There's no reason for you to accept this bishop or this pope if they're not leading the flock in a Christly manner. There are other options.

I wasn't aware that Christ had divorced and remarried. I'm sure you can tell me when that happened.

"Whoever listens to you listens to me; whoever rejects you rejects me; but whoever rejects me rejects him who sent me." Luke 10:16

That's enough reason for me. Christ said it, I accept it, case closed.

They still don't seem to understand that the signs DO NOT apply to the general public, only to "licensees" under the Act, and the statutory citation is shown right on the sign.

Actually, this seems to be the misunderstanding of just about everyone who decides to put up the sign. Even the legislators who passed the law and put in statutorily-banned places into it make the same mistake. They think making Cook County forest preserves and public schools prohibited places that they're protecting someone from criminals.

Just like the sign saying "Trump voters not welcome" that we came across while taking our daughter trick or treating. We both looked at one another, I told my girlfriend "Does she think that we won't patronize her house just because of some sign that makes her look like the idiot?" and we both laughed, walked up, rang the bell, daughter got some more candy. Same logic. They can put up signs but it's not gonna stop people who don't care from coming and "taking candy." I ALMOST said "Screw her" but...candy is candy heh.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Just like the sign saying "Trump voters not welcome" that we came across while taking our daughter trick or treating. We both looked at one another, I told my girlfriend "Does she think that we won't patronize her house just because of some sign that makes her look like the idiot?" and we both laughed, walked up, rang the bell, daughter got some more candy. Same logic. They can put up signs but it's not gonna stop people who don't care from coming and "taking candy." I ALMOST said "Screw her" but...candy is candy heh.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

LOL. This story may be the best way to point to the stupidity of the signs.

Archived