Prices no Auctions?

Kraaaken

Can we consider making a rule in the WTS section to have the OP's post a price or a trade item they will accept? I've seen now at least "looking for best offer" which turns into a weird auction thread. Just a thought to keep threads cleaner.

Tony

Considering how prices on firearms can vary it would be a good idea for the OP when offering for trade to state a minimum price range value of a trade that they will accept. What happens if a seller is offered a $600 AR for their $800 pistol listed in their for trade post? In order to be fair to both poster and purchaser a price range is best.

I personally HATE when someone posts something for sale and just says “best offer” or “make offer”.

When I was younger my dad went with me to buy a car. The guy was kind of hem-hawing around saying the price dancing around the whole “what will you give me for it?” My dad looked at him and said “Look, we can’t buy it from you and sell it for you at the same time. What do you want for her?”

I have never forgotten that day.

I am not sure why anyone would care how someone attempts to sell something here. If you are not interested, ignore the post. If you are, then contact the seller directly and negotiate. I repeatedly see items listed here that start at one price and then drop multiple times trying to get a sale. I don't see much diffence between that and an auction. How many times have you seen an auctioneer try to start at a price and then have to go lower to get a buyer interested. In the end, there is no requirement here to get a "fair" price. There is simply what a willing buyer will pay to a willing seller to have a transaction go as smoothly as possible.

I am not sure why anyone would care how someone attempts to sell something here. If you are not interested, ignore the post. If you are, then contact the seller directly and negotiate. I repeatedly see items listed here that start at one price and then drop multiple times trying to get a sale. I don't see much diffence between that and an auction. How many times have you seen an auctioneer try to start at a price and then have to go lower to get a buyer interested. In the end, there is no requirement here to get a "fair" price. There is simply what a willing buyer will pay to a willing seller to have a transaction go as smoothly as possible.

Because it's a "For Sale or Trade" forum, not an auction site.

Hi,

Results are what matters to a seller. And if the open-ended start is unsuccessful, they can abandon the effort or retool the post.

People who get turned off by the auction style or skimpy info posts have a choice whether to follow that thread or not. But it seems like eventually the information potential buyers want, and need to make a decision, gets added or amended.

FWIW.

Rich Phillips

Archived