Someone is actually running against Madigan

Danielm60660

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/columnists/ct-met-kass-0311-20120311,0,1334769.column

The young underdog in the state's remarkable David vs. Goliath political campaign met me for lunch so I could ask her about her qualifications against the grizzled and terrible warlord.

We were at The New Pindos Restaurant on Archer and Pulaski. My dad and brothers and I would eat breakfast there sometimes when we had our family supermarket in the neighborhood. I ordered the pepper and egg sandwich and asked the political underdog the most important question:

Are you Boss Madigan?

John Kass

"No," said Michele Piszczor. "I'm Michele Piszczor."

Piszczor, 25, underfunded, understaffed and relatively unknown, is in the Democratic primary for the Legislature against the most powerful political boss in the state: Illinois Democratic Party Chairman and House Speaker Michael Madigan, 42.

Actually, 42 isn't his biological age. The number 42 is his BHI — Boss Hog Index — the number of consecutive years he's been in the state Legislature.

Decade after decade, he's been there, most of that time as speaker of the House, in charge of all legislation, as governors came and went away (some to prison) and the state went broke.

And he was there when lawmakers handed out all those juicy (and still unfunded) pension deals to public employees who knew how to work a precinct and repay their debts to the Democrats with votes.

But for the first time in memory, the 69-year-old Madigan has a campaign on his hands. He's used to running against handpicked stooges who don't dare open their mouths. There are two other opponents in the Democratic primary. They have Latino last names, and neither seems to be campaigning. Realists might think they were put there to split the Latino vote.

And waiting for the winner in the general election is a Republican who reportedly hasn't voted Republican in some 20 years. Madigan's last Republican challenger, a young fellow named John Patrick Ryan, didn't even tell his parents he was running. When last we checked, young Ryan still works for Chicago Streets and San.

Is not the Lord of Madiganistan a river to his people? He has all the state's political muscle and political leverage to elect his Democratic legislative majority, and to elect judges, from grateful newbies to grateful Illinois Supreme Court justices. He also helps his daughter, Lisa, the attorney general, who still hasn't figured out how to investigate political corruption in this corrupt state.

And when he's not doing all that bossing, he makes a handsome living — some would say a fortune — in a private law practice reducing property taxes for the wealthiest landowners in the state, many of whom are Republicans.

But that hasn't stopped his campaign from dismissing Piszczor as a Republican plant.

Though Piszczor was a college volunteer for Hillary Clinton's campaign for the presidency and she insists she's a Democrat, she has also received donations from a few Republicans, like conservative businessman Jack Roeser, a longtime foe of Combine Republicans who play ball with the Democrats in Springfield.

Her campaign reports she received $10,000 from John and Jeannine Roeser, and another $10,000 from a political action committee controlled by Jack Roeser.

"How many Republicans have given Madigan money over the years?" she said. "I'm a Democrat. But Democratic politicians won't give me donations. They're afraid of him. Democratic voters have donated, yes, and yes, Jack Roeser and others. We agree on one thing: Madigan has to go."

So you're sure you're not Mike Madigan?

"I told you already," Piszczor said. "No."

It is the most important question. If she's not Madigan, and if she wins (and yes, I know it's a long shot), the era of the Chicago bosses might finally be at an end. And if she loses, can you put your forehead to the ground and say, "Gov. Lisa," and mean it?

I explained to Piszczor that those who've condemned Madigan for helping bankrupt the state say they're concerned about her lack of experience.

"Madigan was only two years older than me when he was elected," she said. "And then he became a boss and helped ruin the state."

I decided to finish the questions:

If you were elected, would you ever install your inexperienced daughter as the top law enforcement officer in the state, and set her up to become governor, just because you're the boss?

John Kass

"No," Piszczor said. "When I do have a family, I'm not going to put my own children in office. This is a government, not a family business."

If voters elect you, will you ever help install somebody like Danny Degnan — a relatively inexperienced political hack — as a Cook County judge, basically making Danny a judge for life?

"No," she said.

Not even if his daddy, former state Sen. Tim Degnan, was the political enforcer for Mayor Richard M. Daley and Tim was one guy you could talk sense with when Daley was in one of his rages?

"No," said Piszczor. "That's wrong."

It's kind of like spitting in the faces of the people, isn't it?

"Yes," she said.

Would you open a law practice to reduce property taxes for your wealthy clients, even though in the Legislature you would shape tax policy, giving the moutza to working and middle-class people?

"No," she said. "That's what's wrong with the system. All the politicians are afraid of him. Why are they so afraid?"

Because he is Mike Madigan.

"And I'm not," she said.

Exactly.

No further questions are necessary.

Who cares how she is on 2A right now, she is the only person that could get rid of Madigan. Even if she is against 2A (it gives me some hope that she went to school in Texas) the getting rid of Madigan idea is paramount.

She said her tires have been slashed 4 times since announcing she would run. She also explained how the other candidates running are fake candidates most living on the same block as Madigan.

Her reply...

I appreciate the time you have taken to reach out to me to ask the questions you have. To be honest, the sad reality is, although I can sit here and give you my opinion in a great amount of detail to everyone of your questions, if we do not get Madigan out of office we will continue to have more of the same. My mother as a single parent worked hard to instill in me morals and values which led me to make the decision to run against Michael Madigan. The people of Illinois are hurting. We don't have time for Madigan's games or lies anymore. People who have worked hard to pay into their pensions do not have the promise that their money will be there tomorrow and this is not acceptable. Too many times politicians stick their own two cents when in fact they have been elected by the people to REPRESENT THE PEOPLE. Thus, I have been out there canvassing each and every day hearing what the concerns are of my district so that I can go to Springfield and vote accordingly. I would be honored to have your vote, but with your vote comes the responsibility to represent YOU not ME and my ideas. I am running for State Representative for the people of the 22nd District, thus, I represent YOU. I would like to hear what your stance is on the issues and how YOU would like ME to vote on the issues you pose. Most politicians have done things differently, but I wish to change the way of doing things.

I am running against Michael Madigan. Mr. Madigan, your 42 year term representative, is also the Speaker of the Illinois House and the architect of all of the policies that have made Illinois the worst state financially in the United States. Ask yourself the following:

*How has the political leadership in Illinois been working for me?

*When has Michael Madigan knocked on my door to ask me what my concerns are?

*How has Michael Madigan shone any concern for my neighbors?

*What has Michael Madigan done to create jobs? Stop foreclosures? Lower taxes?

*How have 42 years of Michael Madigan made our community a better place?

*What has he done in the 42 years in office to help our district or the state of Illinois?

*Where has his so called 42 years of experience gotten us?

*HOW MUCH LONGER WILL I PUT UP WITH THIS?

This country was founded by hard working people like you and me. However, if Illinois continues on the road we are on right now, we will continue our downward spiral into economic devastation. Are you willing to take a stand before things get worse? Are you willing to restore the principles and values this country was established on? Are you willing take our state back? I believe it is time for us all to stand tall together and say ENOUGH IS ENOUGH? This spirit of perseverance against adversity is what made our country great. It is this spirit that drives Americans in our land of the free to overcome obstacles and succeed against all odds. My cell number is 956-241-2585. Take care and God Bless!! I pray to hear back from you to hear what your position is on the enclosed issues.

Respectfully yours,

Michele Piszczor

Should we contribute to election fund? How weird would that feel?

Don't waste your time or money, the election in the 22nd is just a formality that has to be observed.

There are 5 people in the race. Madigan's token "Republican" opponent is Robert Handzik and 3 Hispanic candidates, Piszczor, Olivia Trejo and Mike Rodriguez. The 3 Hispanics will split that vote and the Republican is just for show. This one is already over, it's bought, paid for and the back room deals done. There won't be a palace coup in the capitol of Madiganistan/Illinois this election.

There's an interesting article here about the race in the 22nd.

The Illinois Coalition for Immigrant and Refugee Rights has recently allied itself with Madigan, who pushed through a state version of the Dream Act, giving scholarships to children of undocumented immigrants.

The Coalition demanded Piszczor — of Mexican and Polish descent — repudiate Roeser's opposition to the Dream Act.

Coalition Director Josh Hoyt asked Piszczor if she would fire Edwards.

Asked when Madigan became such a strong ally of the immigrant-rights lobby, Hoyt smiled and admitted the alliance was recent: "Speaker Madigan is very good at counting and we are very happy that he is," Hoyt said, noting that Madigan's newly redrawn legislative district is about 72 percent Hispanic.

Usually, people want to get away from a job they've had for 42 years...it should be clear to voters that he's reaping great rewards from the job just because he isn't retiring.

I applaud Piszczor's efforts and wish her the best. I hope she can open the eyes of a few voters out there.

The Illinois Coalition for Immigrant and Refugee Rights has recently allied itself with Madigan, who pushed through a state version of the Dream Act, giving scholarships to children of undocumented immigrants.

The Coalition demanded Piszczor — of Mexican and Polish descent — repudiate Roeser's opposition to the Dream Act.

Asked when Madigan became such a strong ally of the immigrant-rights lobby, Hoyt smiled and admitted the alliance was recent: "Speaker Madigan is very good at counting and we are very happy that he is," Hoyt said, noting that Madigan's newly redrawn legislative district is about 72 percent Hispanic.

Therein lies the political "business plan" of the Democrat Party for the future of America. By turning it's head to the flood of illegal immigrants entering the country and bestowing them with gifts when they arrive - including the rights normally reserved to legal citizens - they guarantee the future Democratic rule over America and the eventual demise of the Republican party.

Don't waste your time or money, the election in the 22nd is just a formality that has to be observed.

There are 5 people in the race. Madigan's token "Republican" opponent is Robert Handzik and 3 Hispanic candidates, Piszczor, Olivia Trejo and Mike Rodriguez. The 3 Hispanics will split that vote and the Republican is just for show. This one is already over, it's bought, paid for and the back room deals done. There won't be a palace coup in the capitol of Madiganistan/Illinois this election.

All that may be true, but this chick sure got them spooked for some reason

Archived