Buffalo Range in Ottawa was shut down today

bsachnoff

Rebel, Thanks for the update. I'm REALLY sorry the state is screwing you so badly.

I've always enjoyed the PIT for casual plinking.

I wish there was something we could do other than flood the IDNR with calls.

Would it do any good?

Have you tried to contact anyone from the NRA or ISRA for help?

Thanks for letting me rant and get this off my chest.

Hopefully I'll see some of you again at the range.

Rebel49

Welcome, Rebel49! Sorry that your first post had to be on these terms, but I'm glad you're here.

What's happening to Buffalo Range is absolute BS- no doubt. Your range has a fantastic reputation for being a safe and fun place to shoot.

I dont expect you to comment on pending litigation, but I sure hope that you are given an opportunity to pursue a counter suit!

Hey appreciate the welcome.

The attorney keeps saying this is only temporary, certainly hope so.

We have another ballistics expert coming this week to go over the range and provide expert testimony in court.

We may try a seek sanctions against the AG and IDNR about how they handled the situation, that decision is not up to me, more like the owner and the attorney.

We have a ton of evidence of our own that supports our position of the rounds ( if there really are any) are coming from a different location/s around us. When I say a ton, I've been busy since 6:30am today compileing reports and photographic evidence. And I still have more to go, much more. It's very clear to me what this shows, but not to the IDNR "experts". These are "experts" that during one tour could not tell the difference between a rifle and a shotgun. They saw shooters throwing clay birds and shooting at them, missing and they (IDNR) said those bullets were going over the backstops and landing in the area in question ( it's 500 yards downrange). I was impressed with their knowledge and background in firearms.

Time will tell what's going to happen, we go to court on the 26th.

Keep calling and writing your Reps and anyone else that can help with this. We do appreciate any help given.

Rebel49

Hey Guys

We/Range goes to court on April 11th, they continued the case until then.

So this means we are still closed until then. After court, who knows. Remember this is Illinois, and the AG's Office and both are definate Anti's. The way they have handled this so far is like a kangaroo court. The paper is blowing it's lips about us not making safety improvements and stalling. It's all a bag of BS, I personnally seen the bill for the loads of dirt that were used on the backstops this last season. We paid for dirt to be hauled in because the Pit was to soft to excavate in. Plus we stripped some of our land down about 3 feet to add to the loads they brought in.

Trust me when I say "This is a witch hunt" and nothing more. I have been on the site early in the morning and late at night, both before and after we open and close, also on days where we are closed and I hear shots fired right outside our property. I have even heard FA running on several occasions. So I know that there are other people shooting around us. The only question or concern I have with that is: Do they have the same safety rules we do, do they have RSO's on duty to make sure they shoot safely, is their range held to the same "Standards" that the DNR has set for us. I DON"T THINK SO!!! I've snooped around and seen things like backstops only 6-7 feet high, area littered with beer cans, a state park 230 yards behind their backstop. I could go on , but it makes my head hurt. Nope whenever there is a Mystery bullet whizzing through the trees and parting grass in the park or tow path it's that nasty gun range, and they send the CPO to check us. Funny thing about that, did you know that RSO's are invisable? The CPO never sees and RSO on the range and writes it in his report. Funny Huh? I'm there every day the place is open and I usually have the pit as my location, I'll have to ask a shooter next time if he can see me, just to make sure if I'm invisable or not. The range has a very good qualified staff of RSO's, all certified, some are LEO's, others are armed security officers they are there for the shooters safety and the range's safety. Not according to the IDNR, to them we are gun toteing hillbillys, if we are really there at all.

Now do you see why I call it a witch hunt.

It's late and I have been pounding on this computer for 4 days straight if I'm not on the phone to anyone who will listen to me for more than 30 seconds fighting to keep this range open for us.

Now it's rank time, hang in guys don't give up, keep calling and writing your Reps and anyone who will listen to you for more than 30 seconds.

Rebel49 - Out!

Hey Border patrol

Had I known you were in town I could have given you the 2 cent tour of the range. Can't shoot but could BS about firearms for a while.

Not many other places to shoot if you are not a member of a club. In fact we are one of the last ranges that offer public time for a fee, $25 a day.

I went a checked out a club this afternoon to see what it looks like before I join. It's about 1 fourth the size of Buffalo Range and pretty beat up, and the best part is it's in my price range.

I need a place to test fire customers firearms and since Buffalo is temp. closed, this one will have to do. And maybe I can claim it on my business taxes next year.

Rebel49

Happy Trails, IDNR reopens sections of Buffalo Rock, towpath

Share 03/25/2012, 10:24 pm

Comment on this story | Print this story | Email this story

Steve Stout, steves@mywebtimes.com, 815-431-4082

The Illinois Department of Natural Resources announced Saturday that previously closed portions of Buffalo Rock State Park and a section of the Illinois and Michigan Canal Towpath was reopened, temporarily, for the public starting Sunday.

It has been nearly two years since the IDNR closed portions of the recreation areas citing safety concerns over stray bullets from a nearby shooting range. Negotiations between the state and the gun park over range improvements have been ongoing and unsuccessful for most of that time.

On March 15, a La Salle County judge issued an order prohibiting the discharge of any firearms at Buffalo Range Shooting Park, effectively keeping it from a spring opening,and set the matter for a hearing on March 26.

After that court order was issued, the IDNR land management staff assessed the condition of the closed portion of Buffalo Rock State Park and the towpath to determine how long it would take to open the areas for public access if appropriate.

IDNR officials have said it was their hope the matter would be resolved quickly in court. However, on March 22, the shooting park's attorney requested a continuance until April 11, which was granted by La Salle County Circuit Judge Eugene P. Daugherity Friday.

"Because of the delay, and the temporary restraining order from the court, the decision has been made to temporarily reopen the closed portion of the trail at Buffalo Rock to the public on Sunday pending further order from the La Salle County Court," said IDNR Director Marc Miller in a media release Saturday.

The five-mile section of the I&M Canal between the I&M Canal trail head access parking lot north of the entrance to Buffalo Rock State Park and west to Utica that has been closed will be temporarily reopened, said Miller.Additionally, the portion of Buffalo Rock State Park known as the Effigy Tumuli Area will also be temporarily reopened.

[u]Miller indicated in the release the public is welcome to use the previously closed portions of Buffalo Rock and the towpath but should be aware those recreational areas may have to be closed again if safety concerns resurface. [/u]

The shooting range remains closed.

One of the first to enjoy the reopened towpath section was bicyclist Julie Wood of Ottawa who pedaled a 12-mile round trip to Utica and back Sunday morning.

Wood, an avid bike rider, said she was excited to have the popular trail reopened. "It's such a nice bike path, it's great to have it back," she said.

Just thought you guys might be interested in this last punch by the IDNR. They kept the trail closed all winter ( Dec. 1- Mar. 25) and now since we are closed and pending court date they will open it, but " close it again if safety resurface". Like if the range reopens again, can anyone say BLACKMAIL! These clowns have repeatedly refused to meet with elected public officials, and the public for 2 years. But it's ok for the Director Miller to make statements now. What a crock this is.

Rebel49

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys

Well we go to court Wednesday the 11th at 1:30pm in the downtown court house in Ottawa.

Hopefully Judge Daughrity will rule in our favor on our evidence and witnesses and allow the range to re-open.

Keep us in your thoughts and prayers.

Rebel49

I hope & pray the Judge rules in your favor, good luck. One of my favorite ranges to go with my friends.

I can not remember how many ranges have been closed with the stray bullet story. Back in the 60s The Sauk Trail Sportsmens Club had a range in Frankfort. A farmer called the county sheriff and showed a lead 45 cal projectile that supposedly hit his tractor. Funny the only person at the range had only a 22 LR with him and the 45 slug was covered with dirt. Think someone dug something out of the berm?

Then there was the guy that tried the same thing to get the Willow Slough range in Indiana closed. Did not work this time. He lives 5 miles inside of Illinois and the range is a mile into Indiana and you shoot to the depth of Indiana. He was told to look at any of his neighbors as there is no gun made YET that can circumnavigate the globe to reach his house.

Then there were the several ranges owned by a farmer where Burr Ridge now exists. Yes stray bullets again.

Well I still can drive the 5 miles till I am in Indiana then with my Utah CCW license strap one on and continue to Willow Slough and shoot all day FOR FREE.

25 yd,50 yd,100 yd, Shotgun,Archery with benches under cover and all are handicap accessible.

If you are a criminal you most be PROVEN guilty. If it involves a range word of mouth is more than enough.

Not one projectile is needed, just someone saying I heard bullets buzzing over my head. Even if the range is in the opposite direction or was closed at the time of day or week.

As was proven in this case you will not get enough notice that you have a day in court till it is impossible for you to get there and defend yourself.

Late start at court today.

Judge upheld the TRO and piliminary injunction. So we are still closed!

Started taking witness testimony from the other side. We are able to cross examine those witnesses as they will be able to do the same with ours.

Not much more to add as I'm out in the hall with the other excluded witnesses and can't be in the court room until I'm called.

It's a battle.

Back in court Thursday at 9:30am, soon as I know something I'll post it here. I do wish I could hear some of what they are saying, it has to be some of the best BS money can buy.

We do have our "expert witnesses" on scene and ready to testify.

Rebel49

Late start at court today.

Judge upheld the TRO and piliminary injunction. So we are still closed!

Started taking witness testimony from the other side. We are able to cross examine those witnesses as they will be able to do the same with ours.

Not much more to add as I'm out in the hall with the other excluded witnesses and can't be in the court room until I'm called.

It's a battle.

Back in court Thursday at 9:30am, soon as I know something I'll post it here. I do wish I could hear some of what they are saying, it has to be some of the best BS money can buy.

We do have our "expert witnesses" on scene and ready to testify.

Rebel49

Many Thanks for the update Rebel149 & wishing the best of luck!

Same drill today, we sat, stood and lounged around in the hall all freakin day while the other side questioned their witnesses.

We go on the stand tomorrow along with our "experts" and try to win the case and get the range open soonest,

I to have a itchy trigger finger and am dying not being able to shoot,

More tomorrow when I find out. But rest asured we are still swinging and will not give up.

Rebel49

Same drill today, we sat, stood and lounged around in the hall all freakin day while the other side questioned their witnesses.

We go on the stand tomorrow along with our "experts" and try to win the case and get the range open soonest,

More tomorrow when I find out. But rest asured we are still swinging and will not give up.

Rebel49

Good luck!!

Rebel49

Thank you for all your efforts. Just remember, you're in the judicial system now. Nothing will happen quickly. Or even in a reasonable amount of time. Hang in there!

AB

Ranger, we're all eagerly awaiting the court decision. Do you have any "feel" for how it's going or the likely outcome?

I called Marc Miller again today; now IDNR is saying we should be bugging the Attorney General office instead.

Lisa Madigan

Phone: (312) 670-0606

Email: info@lisamadigan.org

Please take the time to let her know what you think!

Well it's time for the AG and the IDNR to play the pass the buck routine again. Call the AG's office and give them an ear full. Then they'll tell you to call the DNR. It's the same old circle jerk with the both of them.

We were finally able to get ONE of our expert witnesses on the stand this afternoon! No sooner did he finish and the Judge ajorned the court and continued the trial until the 24th of April.

The last two and a half days have been spent with the States witnesses and cross examination of them. I have no feel as to the outcome of this, it's to early to tell. I do have great confidence in the range attorney, our experts, and the fact that we are innocent of any wrongdoing.

The Range owner is a fighter and tough and us guys ( RSO's) back her 110 percent. We will continue to fight this no matter what.

It's time for everyone who supports the range and us to step up and fight also. Light up the phone lines to the AG and the IDNR, make them listen to you and do not give an inch.

This whole issue is about ALLEGED stray projctiles leaving the range and entering the park and path areas. It's something that has been proven impossible by numerous experts. Trajectories, physics, and land contours will not let that happen. Two State Senators have toured the range and said it's impossible also.

The AG and the IDNR's agenda is to close the range forever, and take away our place to shoot and a 42 year old business. And when they are done with us it will be a domino effect and start on other locations. And it seems in our case all it takes is to have Joe Public say they "Heard or Seen" a bullet whiz by them in a public area.

Can't write anymore, I'm really beat up and tired.

Hang in guys, we are doing our best to get the range going again.

Rebel49

Archived