SB1293 Prohibited Places

Grey Beret

No carry on bike trails then?

You can't carry pretty much anywhere besides in your car or walking down the street, granted it's not in front of any of the restricted areas like a school, day care, hospital, etc,..

In my circumstances under this bill it appears as if i will be able to carry 99% of my daily life.. I personally already avoid bars due to fools and overprices drinks, festivals as i generally prefer wildlife over large masses of people, refuse to go to chicago (rockford is close enough) at all costs so mass transit is not an issue, do not ever go to any campuses, rarely (maybe once every few years ever need to go to any gov building) avoid city parks as i prefer county parks (this is my biggest concern), use the drive thru at the bank, and will find friendly private businesses that will get my dollars. I guess i am one of the lucky ones :D

Perhaps in your case, or also for those that live in the boonies it might not make too much of a deal, but for those that live in the burbs' and especially in the city of chicago that need carry the most, the restrictions make it virtually impossible to carry anywhere.

Backforward

I would consider Rockford the boonies if i lived in Chicago too but the west side of Rockford is far less than ideal. I hear gunshots from my home, not daily, but on a weekly occurrence and my wife's work was robbed at gunpoint twice in the last year.

Edit and i do think the mass transit is a major issue and hope the lawsuits come swiftly .

I have read the bill several times over and have so far reserved comment. I do really appreciate this thread so that an educated dialog can take place. I already hold a carry license and exercise the right whenever possible as I live approximately 20 minutes from the Missouri line into St. Louis. I also carry in other states with frequent and various travels. That being said.....this list, looks quite lengthy but is very well thought out ***it sucks***. Not that I'm a sympathizer to the bill......the jury is still out. However, what appears as doom here would appear more permissive on some things in other states. A 100% vehicular safe haven is something many states are clamoring for. People are complaining and wanting reciprocity without taking the time to read this.....are gonna find themselves. In a world of hurt if they think they'll be able to travel without knowing the various laws in the other places they plan to travel to. Yes...I do understand wanting what has been unjustly denied to you without a doubt. But we are only this far....not across the finish line yet.

If I have to unload the gun before I exit the vehicle in order to put it in the trunk, I am allowed to carry it concealed from the passenger compartment to the trunk.

Once I get to the trunk, how do I transfer it to the truck without it becoming un-concealed for a few moments? How do I prevent it from becoming un-concealed when I retrieve it later? I see a few moments where an AUUW is taking place.

I made a comment about 2 this morning about having a vision of Davis, Flowers, Williams, Nekritz, and Persnickety in a group singing THE WILD WILD WEST --- THE WILD WILD WEST.... (I make no claims of sobriety at the time)

You sir are a bad bad man! :laugh:

If I start having that NIGHTMARE on a nightly basis, I promise to consult my attorney to determine if I can sue you for emotional damage!

So I work at a state University, am i correct in reading that I can leave a firearm in my truck as long as I unload and encase it before leaving the area of the truck? I work evening shifs and often bike after work by driving (in my truck) to my hometown, parking at my church, biking 10-12 miles, then get in my truck and go home. Ain't no way armed or unarmed I will bike in Carbondale after dark.

So I work at a state University, am i correct in reading that I can leave a firearm in my truck as long as I unload and encase it before leaving the area of the truck? I work evening shifs and often bike after work by driving (in my truck) to my hometown, parking at my church, biking 10-12 miles, then get in my truck and go home. Ain't no way armed or unarmed I will bike in Carbondale after dark.

I do not see anywhere that the firearm left in a locked vehicle or locked glove compartment must be unloaded. It only says if you store it in the trunk you must unload it before getting out of your vehicle. Am I mistaken on this?

As Molly said no need to unload as long as its locked in your truck. However also note this part of the bill:

(a-5) Nothing in this Act shall prohibit a public or

private community college, college, or university from:

(3) developing resolutions, regulations, or policies

regarding the storage or maintenance of firearms, which

must include designated areas where persons can park

vehicles that carry firearms;

So it sounds like the University can set additional restrictions if they want

Perhaps in your case, or also for those that live in the boonies it might not make too much of a deal, but for those that live in the burbs' and especially in the city of chicago that need carry the most, the restrictions make it virtually impossible to carry anywhere.

I agree with you! I'm a downstater, and the people of Chicago just got raped as far as I'm concerned. That just isn't right. I guess we'll see what the future holds on this, IF it becomes law that is. I personally don't like this. I've enver been to Chicago, but that doesn't mean I don't have feelings for the people there. You are a part of this state and deserve to be treated the same as downstaters. Hope that doesn't offend anyone, but that's the way I feel.

There's VERY little crime in our area, and I personally don't feel the NEED to carry, but the people of Chicago are the ones I'm fighting the most for. You're the ones that deserve a carry bill more so than donwstaters, as far as I'm concerned. You're all like sitting ducks up there with NO way to protect yourselves. THAT JUST ISN'T RIGHT!!!!!

I agree with you! I'm a downstater, and the people of Chicago just got raped as far as I'm concerned.

Several of our Chicago friends who were involved with the many different lawsuits are happy about this bill, even as restrictive as it is.

Honestly, 2193 is better for the folks of Chicago than 997 was, in my opinion... And 997 would have been better for us down staters. Over all, I think that 2193 makes the most in roads against the lefty gun grabbers, so even as a down stater, I support it.

Dave >>> go ahead and sue me over those nightmares but I already spent all my money on guns, motorcycles and ammo... Sorry.... :drool:

Grey >>> I agree with your harsh penalty comment. Certainly for a 1st offense... :no:

Birdhunter >>> Everytime I go to C'dale I end up at PK's listening to Tall Pawl. Seems safe enough in there... :ermm:

To my friends in Chi Town >>> I admit I don't have the issues you do down here in Peoria. And I feel really fortunate that I don't have to live with your issues. But I also know that if I did live in Chicago I would be an order of magnitude better off with this bill than with what you have now.... :flowers:

I need to apologize for my remarks, but it's just that I've lived in this state my entire life and I know how things go, as do all of you. I'm going to hope that things work out for the best for EVERYONE in the end. I'm 20 minutes from the Indiana border. I can carry there legally as can my wife. (ER Nurse) She can get an Indiana carry permit upon request if she feels the need. We both carry Utah license, so the need is not there right now. That could change at any time though.

Good evening, and have a safe Memorial Day everyone!

Also, don't forget to thank a vet!

As Molly said no need to unload as long as its locked in your truck. However also note this part of the bill:

As I read it, it seems to be a YES and a NO. The colleges appear to have been thrown something of a bone which will allow them to make "some" parking lots GFZ's but they "must" include areas where vehicles with firearms can park. Now, that just seems like a disaster waiting to happen and if the parking spots are located conveniently then cars belonging to anti gun folks will park there when they do not have firearms and the more likely scenario is that the designated areas will not be convenient and will be a very nice collection of targets for would be thieves. But after all that is said, the colleges have to provide a place for firearm owners to park.

I think you nailed it Grey. I read it the same way....

The neurotic anti's will park in the gun owners lot and then complain about "I saw his evil gun arrest him".... Which I think is fantastic -- let the university admins who asked for that deal have to put up with that deal....

As I read it, it seems to be a YES and a NO. The colleges appear to have been thrown something of a bone which will allow them to make "some" parking lots GFZ's but they "must" include areas where vehicles with firearms can park. Now, that just seems like a disaster waiting to happen and if the parking spots are located conveniently then cars belonging to anti gun folks will park there when they do not have firearms and the more likely scenario is that the designated areas will not be convenient and will be a very nice collection of targets for would be thieves. But after all that is said, the colleges have to provide a place for firearm owners to park.

Yup....

I plan on using a FedEx box, a leather planner, and some velcro to make myself a nice "enclosed shipping box case" which I can access quickly, for my weapon to go in to anytime I need to "case carry" into a GFZ.

As for leaving in the car.... Thinking about welding in an eyelet that I can run a steel cable through, and through the trigger guard... Make it so any slime who sees me stowing it better have some bolt cutters in his saggy pants if he wants my weapon.

I think you nailed it Grey. I read it the same way....

The neurotic anti's will park in the gun owners lot and then complain about "I saw his evil gun arrest him".... Which I think is fantastic -- let the university admins who asked for that deal have to put up with that deal....

The thing that I dislike most about this college carve out, is that it changes what would have been the "parking lot rule" that you would have to be concerned with. Now, there is this distinction of if it belongs or is operated by a college and that is not always as easy to determine as one might think. Taking that with the harsh penalty and it just became easier to get fouled up on dotting your "I"s and crossing your "t"s. But we have all agreed that this is not the bill that we would have preferred. It is one that we can learn to live with and it is certainly better than what we have now.

I read the university language like this. They can prohibit carry on any property or conveyance they own or control. However, this would seem to leave public roads and sidewalks alone, as in there is a pass through allowance (which is consistent throughout this bill.)

Also of note, it is specified they must designate parking areas for vehicles containing firearms, so firearms are obviously not prohibited from their property in its entirety. The complete prohibition in vehicles are those vehicles that the college owns.

Overall, I have yet to find an instance where one's ability to carry to or from anywhere is totally prohibited, as there are remedies such as unloaded/cased carry and safe passage provisions consistent throughout.

For those in the know please. I did some research but couldn't find anything really current...The secret compartment law in IL was confirmed unconstitutional back in 2008 correct? If so, I foresee a weekend fab/welding project in my near future.

It need not be a secret compartment. The center console or glove box is ok.

It's the Diggins case. To google!

For those in the know please. I did some research but couldn't find anything really current...The secret compartment law in IL was confirmed unconstitutional back in 2008 correct? If so, I foresee a weekend fab/welding project in my near future.

Yup, but I am going to find ways to make it nearly impossible for a bad guy to take my weapon from my car...

It's the Diggins case. To google!

glove box and console are both explicitly stated to be OK in the bill as well

I read the university language like this. They can prohibit carry on any property or conveyance they own or control. However, this would seem to leave public roads and sidewalks alone, as in there is a pass through allowance (which is consistent throughout this bill.)

Also of note, it is specified they must designate parking areas for vehicles containing firearms, so firearms are obviously not prohibited from their property in its entirety. The complete prohibition in vehicles are those vehicles that the college owns.

Overall, I have yet to find an instance where one's ability to carry to or from anywhere is totally prohibited, as there are remedies such as unloaded/cased carry and safe passage provisions consistent throughout.

Instance one: I personally am unable to leave a firearm or ammo in my vehicle while at work, I work at a nuke plant.

Archived