FOID Active, but nothing in mail

Good afternoon everyone,

I applied for my FOID in June and it went active on Sept 22, 2020. But the actual license hasn't shown up in the mail yet. I know with COVID there could be delays, but I'm not sure at this point if I should be worried about it possibly being lost?

Also, my wife had applied a week before I did and her request is still pending.

Thanks in advance!

Ok, thanks! I figured it was at least 30 days due to everything going on.

It all depends. Once they go "active" it's dependent on when they print and mail a large group together. They don't just print a single one and mail it, they print a large group, and then mail them. Throw in the mail-in ballots that have been a focus of the USPS, and it makes sense it has taken that long.

A tip: You can go create a free account on USPS.com and then you can monitor your mail. They actually show pictures of it, and tell you what is coming, and what has been delivered. It's called Informed Delivery, and is under the "Quick Tools" menu. Gives you something to eagerly check every day or two to see. Haha.

I renewed my FOID in early July, with expiration for October. Then I moved to Indiana. Mailed my FOID and CCL back to the address listed on the ISP website. In my letter, I asked for a letter of confirmation once they received my FOID and CCL, never happened. Today, I went to the ISP site, and see that my new FOID has been “Issued”, and my CCL remains active. What a flipping joke. Now let’s see if the post office forwards my new FOID to my Indiana address. I wouldn’t be surprised if they did.

Interesting. I got mine in about 1.5-2 weeks a little before you applied. That is from time it went active to actually getting card. Might be worth calling to ask. When you call, call at like 8:28am, by the time you get to someone it should be 8:30 which is when they open. Last time I called, you selected options to tell them you were calling about your foid and that you didn’t have internet. There used to be an option to press 3 and you could talk to someone. They had removed the voice prompt for that, but the option in their auto attendant was still there like they forgot to remove that programming. If you look further up in this thread we talked about it at the time, a page or 2 back I think.

Ok, thanks! I figured it was at least 30 days due to everything going on.

It all depends. Once they go "active" it's dependent on when they print and mail a large group together. They don't just print a single one and mail it, they print a large group, and then mail them. Throw in the mail-in ballots that have been a focus of the USPS, and it makes sense it has taken that long.

A tip: You can go create a free account on USPS.com and then you can monitor your mail. They actually show pictures of it, and tell you what is coming, and what has been delivered. It's called Informed Delivery, and is under the "Quick Tools" menu. Gives you something to eagerly check every day or two to see. Haha.

I just signed up for the Informed Delivery. Thanks! I'll see if anything comes today or Monday. If nothing then I can make a phone call early next week.

• 2 months later...

Quick update: My FOID had been posted dated September 23 and arrived at the house sometime after that, but one of the kids must've thrown the mail on wife's office desk and got buried under all the sewing stuff she has. I had kind of forgotten about it too, till today when the wife was cleaning out the office and found the mailing! LOL

She still has to call about her's since she applied about a week before me and her application is still pending.

I’ll go ahead and assume you meant to say you applied 12/30/2020 and not 2021 11 months in the future!

If I’m correct then your app has only been less than 30 days and if you read a few of the posts here at IC you will see that many folks are experiencing app times of up to 6 months or more. A good app will make it in 90 days, but rare as a unicorn these days.

Welcome to the Forums and good luck

Sit back and do some reading, it’s going to be a while.

I was approved on 12/30/21. Still have not recurved my card and it's now 1/27/21. Should I keep waiting or should I call someone other than the fsb? I've called numerous times and I have a firearm I ordered on hold because I didn't think it would take this long to mail a card. Someone help me here

Approved or Active? My understanding Active is printed, awaiting batching, bundling, USPS processing and should typically be within 30 days. A bit more patience given the current state of the USPS.

Archived