If you had to pick....

DD123

....one type of 22 lr that works in every single gun, which would it be specifically, brand and product.

Now I'm not talking about that ridiculously expensive match grade stuff, but off the shelf, mass produced ammo.

The reason I ask is that I am considering placing a large order, but don't want to wind up with dirty malfunctioning ammo.

I personally like the copper jacketed CCI's, but those are sometimes hard to find. I mainly like them because you don't get leading from them.

I'm open to suggestions on what you think runs in every gun.

Will FOR SURE work in any gun

• CCI Mini Mags
  • Federal Auto Match
  • CCI Standard
  • CCI Stingers
  • Blazer

MAY WORK in all guns, YMMV

• Golden Bullet
  • Winchester M22
  • Aguila Super extra high velocity

More than likely will not work in any gun (better off shooting a slingshot)

• Armscor

CCI Mini Mags. Still the answer to almost any rimfire question. GAT had them by the ton last I looked. I seem to recall the price was $10/100, too, which since the dark days is the price I'm okay with.

That's all we use in our Intro classes- can't have the newbies getting upset over malfunctions. Even during the worst of the shortage, GAT always kept a few thousand secreted away in the back for us.

I just posted this in the ".22LR" thread and will be reading this thread closely:

I had a round of Remington fail to fire, in league the other night and I was not permitted to run the program again. I guess there's a good reason to buy the target grade stuff, if you're gonna compete. I just feel I'm not at that level to justify the cost.

I should add that the target was running on a timed program and I lost a whole bunch of points as a result. It is a whole lot better than losing your LIFE over it, though! I was taught a valuable lesson on the importance of malfunction drills!

Remington Golden Bullet runs in all my .22 handguns and even two different aftermarket .22 conversion kits for 9's. If the cost per round is the same, I like CCI Mini Mag. No fancy stuff for me.

+1 Not to mention that the 1400 round buckets of bullets are 80 dollars here which comes to around 6 cents a round.

I've tried those before and had some issues with FTF and FTE.

Remington Golden Bullet runs in all my .22 handguns and even two different aftermarket .22 conversion kits for 9's. If the cost per round is the same, I like CCI Mini Mag. No fancy stuff for me.

+1 Not to mention that the 1400 round buckets of bullets are 80 dollars here which comes to around 6 cents a round.

I've tried those before and had some issues with FTF and FTE.

I've never had a problem with those either.

I included Armscor as one brand to stay away from. I have three bricks that routinely cause jams, FTF, FTE, and even had my buddy get a squib. I still have two bricks of that crap.

Blazers are CCI, probably the bang for your buck...

Same as CCI mini mag's just not copper plated.

Any CCI 22LR is good stuff

Don't forget about CCI Stingers

PSA has been having mini mag's for good price

Golden bullets probably the cheapest and dirtiest ammo on the planet, in a bucket you'll have lots of loose bullets

They run good in slide-fire till you get a FTF

Also probably the least accurate of all manufactures

I think the most disappointing ammo I've ever used was Winchester M22's

PSA has 10 boxes mini mag's free shipping $79.99

That's not too bad. I'm looking to load up on whatever I decide to get that's both inexpensive and will function...so far it's looking like some flavor of CCI.

Anyone see 22 shorts lately? Specifically the CCI's? I'd like to take my grandfather's old 22 short Beretta out, but would rather have some new ammo to replace the old stock that I have.

I have had the best luck with cci standard velocity ammo

But with having said that I wont tolerate a ammo finicky firearm

If I have a firearm that is finicky I start looking for the cause such as a to strong recoil spring

or problems with an extractor

usually a google search will turn up several possible fixes for whichever make of gun/model it is

and then I go to work on it

I think the most disappointing ammo I've ever used was Winchester M22's

I need to hear more about the M22! Ive generally had OK luck with Winchester ammo.

I experienced lots of FTF, same result from several bricks, my brother same story for him

I think I had read somewhere Winchester had lots of QC issues with the M22, maybe they resolved it.

With that said, I've always had good luck Winchester's other bulk ammo like 333's and super X

Another TWO rounds of the same Remington Golden Bullet ammo fail to fire tonight while practicing. Was ready for it this time. That's two out of fifty four shots from the same box of 525. Solid hits on the rim from the rifle and confirmed by the range officer, who also commented on the noticeable differences in the report. I noticed it also and swore one was barely louder than a fart. It's definitely not the stuff for serious shooting!

Archived