FOID card appeal

I'm in the process of a FOID card appeal. Back in 1998 I was charged with a felony, thats why I was denied my FOID card initially. Since then I have received a governor pardon for the felony and also received an expungement. So I no longer have a felony and have a clean record. I've seen that most appeals are taking a year but is there anyway to help speed up the process. As of January 23rd it will be my 6 month mark and haven't heard anything from them. I've checked multiple times on the ISP site and still says denied. I've sent emails and no answer. I've tried to call, but it tells me their mailbox is full every time. I just want to make sure they received my appeal. Would be nice to know if it is even under review. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

So did you send the appeal and have them sign for it?

If not that may have been lost.

My guess is if it says nothing on your portal that it isn’t in the process yet.

It’s normally a year as stated here in other posts.

But I think it normally goes to “under review” once received.

Good Luck

Welcome to the Forums

And PM MollyB, she is the go to person for these things!

How badly do you want to get ahold of ISP? I have gotten through to them each time I called, but I had to sit there, dial the number, and select “0” to get to a customer service agent for about 30 mins straight. I literally called 50 times the first time before I got through and 60 times the second. I enjoyed bombarding the phone line. It’s petty but I’ll sit and wait to make them talk to me.

How badly do you want to get ahold of ISP? I have gotten through to them each time I called, but I had to sit there, dial the number, and select “0” to get to a customer service agent for about 30 mins straight. I literally called 50 times the first time before I got through and 60 times the second. I enjoyed bombarding the phone line. It’s petty but I’ll sit and wait to make them talk to me.

If ya called once and got through and talked to a customer service rep, why call a second time and talk to a rep again?

Illinois, if at first your vote don’t take, vote again! lol

If ya called once and got through and talked to a customer service rep, why call a second time and talk to a rep again?

Illinois, if at first your vote don’t take, vote again! lol

I called the first time with an application question. I called the second time after my application had been under review for 31 calendar days.

I'm in the process of a FOID card appeal. Back in 1998 I was charged with a felony, thats why I was denied my FOID card initially. Since then I have received a governor pardon for the felony and also received an expungement. So I no longer have a felony and have a clean record. I've seen that most appeals are taking a year but is there anyway to help speed up the process. As of January 23rd it will be my 6 month mark and haven't heard anything from them. I've checked multiple times on the ISP site and still says denied. I've sent emails and no answer. I've tried to call, but it tells me their mailbox is full every time. I just want to make sure they received my appeal. Would be nice to know if it is even under review. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

The FOID status does not change until a ruling is made on the appeal. Did you use a mail service that provides proof of delivery?

Have you tried this email address: ISP.ASKFOID@illinois.gov

I have a couple questions.

Why do you even need to appeal? You no longer have a felony conviction.

Since you have been pardoned and your felony has been expunged wouldn't you pass a NICS background check if you lived in another state and was purchasing a firearm? Once again, you no longer have a felony conviction.

How in the world did you get a pardon? Feel free to PM me with an answer to this question.

My non violent, non drug related felony from 1992 has been sealed, I have had my firearm rights restored and I have both a FOID and CCL. I never even considered a pardon as I considered it impossible.

So did you send the appeal and have them sign for it?

If not that may have been lost.

My guess is if it says nothing on your portal that it isn’t in the process yet.

It’s normally a year as stated here in other posts.

But I think it normally goes to “under review” once received.

Good Luck

Welcome to the Forums

And PM MollyB, she is the go to person for these things!

No I didn’t have them sign for it. Didn’t think about that when I mailed it in.

The FOID status does not change until a ruling is made on the appeal. Did you use a mail service that provides proof of delivery?

Have you tried this email address: ISP.ASKFOID@illinois.gov

No I didn’t think about that I just took it in to the post office and put it in the mail. No I haven’t I’ve only used the one on the ISP site. I’ll try that one and see if anybody will get back to me. Thank you

I have a couple questions.

Why do you even need to appeal? You no longer have a felony conviction.

Since you have been pardoned and your felony has been expunged wouldn't you pass a NICS background check if you lived in another state and was purchasing a firearm? Once again, you no longer have a felony conviction.

How in the world did you get a pardon? Feel free to PM me with an answer to this question.

My non violent, non drug related felony from 1992 has been sealed, I have had my firearm rights restored and I have both a FOID and CCL. I never even considered a pardon as I considered it impossible.

I had to appeal because when I applied it wasn’t off of the ISP site guess they hadn’t updated the system. I hired an attorney to get the pardon mine was a none violent felony. Mine was unlawful delivery of cannabis from when I was 17. Didn’t want the felony hanging over my head any more so I decided to get the pardon and expungement done with my firearm rights restored. Best decision I made. Now trying to go threw the hopes with the ISP just to get my foid card. If you want feel free to email me if you have anymore questions

You might also FAX your appeal documents to this number - be sure to include a cover letter stating you want verification your appeal was received and is being processed. Include your pardon documents too.

FOID Appeal FAX number 217-782-9139

Thank you very much I will do that. I appreciate the help. I will get it ready and get it faxed in the morning.