Photo

Name change for valid FOID while CCL under review?

Foid ccl name change

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 typezstg

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 26 June 2019 - 04:40 PM

I recently went to renew my driver's license and previously I had a middle initial on it that's not actually part of my legal name. Long story... I have had it renewed in the past with no problems. Due to Real ID, I had to correct it this time.

Questions:

1. Do I have to also remove my middle initial from my FOID on ISP website?
2. My FOID is active but I have a CCL app under review submitted without prints on 2/13. Will this affect my app? What's the best way to proceed?

Thanks for your help!

#2 Molly B.

IllinoisCarry spokesperson

• 16,059 posts

Posted 26 June 2019 - 08:52 PM

Is the initial not a part of your name at all?  ISP may catch it from the renewed driver's license. You should receive your CCL any day now because it should have been due June 14-15.  If ISP considers it a discrepancy, they will let you know - at least I would think they would.  If they go ahead and issue it as is, I would think that means it doesn't affect anything. . .

"It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men." --Samuel Adams

#3 typezstg

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 26 June 2019 - 10:21 PM

Okay great, thanks for your help Molly!

It's not part of my legal name but i didn't realize it when I got my driver's permit. So for example i was using John Q. Smith when my actual name is supposed to be John Smith. I have a pretty unique name though.

When I got my DL the first time they never should have allowed me to add it. They also didn't say anything when I renewed my license the last two times. But because it was on my DL, it is on my FOID.

#4 typezstg

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 26 June 2019 - 10:24 PM

Also you're right, I just checked the inspect element and it says Approved! :)

#5 InterestedBystander

• Supporting Members Team
  • 6,386 posts

Posted 26 June 2019 - 10:24 PM

Per the ISP policies and procedure manual posted (page 170, cant copy/paste), middle initials do not fall under exceptions to the exact SOS match but maybe you will get lucky.
NRA Life Member
ISRA Member
FFL-IL Supporter
SAF Member
GOA Member
🇺🇸

#6 typezstg

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 26 June 2019 - 10:29 PM

Thanks! I just wanted to make sure I didn't need to proactively change it. We'll see what happens.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users