Illinois CCL - still too expensive, still a hassle, still takes too long

Just renewed my Utah nonresident permit online. Took 5 minutes and cost $25 plus .75 convenience fee. I'll have it in hand in a couple weeks.

Taking my Illinois 3 hour renewal class next month for $60 plus $150 plus any convenience fees etc and they will take another 120 days.

No arrests, no address changes, etc.

Illinois has done NOTHING to improve the processing, we still have to have that damn Foid in addition to the CCW. Non residents forget it. How much has Illinois made in revenue from all this? And they can't even streamline the process or fix the broken parts. Take our money and continue to defecate on law abiding gun owners. We have made no progress since the court order that led to our current CCL.

I hate this state.

Rant over.

Sounds like its right on track then. The entire process was set up to be overly burdensome and expensive to IL residents wishing to obtain a CCL so as to discourage as many people as possible.

And based on the numbers at $150 a pop they have made over 33 million dollars in application fees since the start, not including all the renewal fees. But that doesn't matter because IL has a long standing tradition of not funding anything firearms related. They would rather give that money away for people to pretend to study squirrels and stuff like that.

We need an IGOLD type event to happen in downtown Cook County somewhere. On a weekday, tying up traffic, the whole nine yards. It's not the only way to affect change, but it will have a large turnout.

That is not the type of tactic that would be shown by the press or by the public to make a positive change. I wouldn't be there. IF You have ever gone to IGOLD you would have noted by everyone that we aren't there to disrupt we are there to peacefully make our point without disruption. We have been honored in the past by getting high praise for being a very most polite and respectful lobbying group at the Capital. What you are proposing would not at all be an IGOLD type event.

Hmmm...

How about a day where we all show up in IGOLD yellow in teams all over downtown. We could take turns talking with people, maybe doing "surveys" and passing out info while acting as defacto crossing guards. All while carrying, of course. A day of cheery outreach to the masses... in the lions den if you will. If we could muster an IGOLD sized group we would make quite an impact.

Our goal should be to be effective. I don't have the knowledge or experience to judge what's most effective for us in this state at this time, and I trust those with more knowledge and experience to make these judgments. The tactics of Pfleger, the Bloomberg Moms, and the like as being basically loser tactics. However, it is important to recognize that disruptive tactics are more prevalent now than they've been at any time since the 1970s. We have to understand how to counter them, particularly with politicians who have shown that they can be swayed by such tactics, and especially by politicians who promote the use of such tactics. At some point it may be time for a certain amount of carefully calibrated in-your-facedness.

We need an IGOLD type event to happen in downtown Cook County somewhere. On a weekday, tying up traffic, the whole nine yards. It's not the only way to affect change, but it will have a large turnout.

That is not the type of tactic that would be shown by the press or by the public to make a positive change. I wouldn't be there. IF You have ever gone to IGOLD you would have noted by everyone that we aren't there to disrupt we are there to peacefully make our point without disruption. We have been honored in the past by getting high praise for being a very most polite and respectful lobbying group at the Capital. What you are proposing would not at all be an IGOLD type event.

I have been to IGOLD four times. When we march to the capital, the police stop traffic along the way. That's what I mean by "tying up traffic". I never said we would do it to "disrupt" anything. I just mean that most of the anti-gun politicians and laws are coming out of the NE part of the state. We HAVE to make our voices heard "up here" too.

Where do you sign up?

Should we wait for the ISRA, GOA, or GSL to make a move? We could march at Illinois' second state capital:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_R._Thompson_Center

Where do you sign up?

Should we wait for the ISRA, NRA, GOA, or GSL to make a move? We could march at Illinois' second state capital:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_R._Thompson_Center

Hmmm...

How about a day where we all show up in IGOLD yellow in teams all over downtown. We could take turns talking with people, maybe doing "surveys" and passing out info while acting as defacto crossing guards. All while carrying, of course. A day of cheery outreach to the masses... in the lions den if you will. If we could muster an IGOLD sized group we would make quite an impact.

The Jehova's Witnesses do something like that. It wouldn't hurt to try it.

Our goal should be to be effective. I don't have the knowledge or experience to judge what's most effective for us in this state at this time, and I trust those with more knowledge and experience to make these judgments. The tactics of Pfleger, the Bloomberg Moms, and the like as being basically loser tactics. However, it is important to recognize that disruptive tactics are more prevalent now than they've been at any time since the 1970s. We have to understand how to counter them, particularly with politicians who have shown that they can be swayed by such tactics, and especially by politicians who promote the use of such tactics. At some point it may be time for a certain amount of carefully calibrated in-your-facedness.

+1

Politicians take action because they fear the reaction of a voting base if they don't, not just because you are polite about asking for something.

Of course that's also the problem with pro gun protesting in states like this isn't it. You almost have to play the "polite victim of the evil government" because most of the politicians don't fear the pro gun vote. They are looking for an excuse to hate you. This being the firmly leftist sate that it is, bully tactics like what the other side is using isn't gonna work for us anyways.

But conversely, we have already seen the example in states in which the "polite" gun owners have fought for their rights. They are now working on filing court injunctions to be able to extend the legal deadlines to legally register their fire arm accessories so they can comply with state law. Or in other words, they got everything they didn't want shoved down their "polite" throats anyways.

So its hard to pick one way or another to be honest. Both methods seem like a lose, lose proposition imo.

One thing is for darn sure, we need to get more pro gun people more fired up if we are gonna have any chance at saving what we have left. Passiveness ain't gonna cut it.

Hmmm...

+1

Sounds like its right on track then. The entire process was set up to be overly burdensome and expensive to IL residents wishing to obtain a CCL so as to discourage as many people as possible.

And based on the numbers at $150 a pop they have made over 33 million dollars in application fees since the start, not including all the renewal fees. But that doesn't matter because IL has a long standing tradition of not funding anything firearms related. They would rather give that money away for people to pretend to study squirrels and stuff like that.

Lets not forget 2,000,000 FOID holders at $10 a pop

We've done it 3 in times in the past - 2008, 2009 and 2010. SAFR - Second Amendment Freedom Rally in front of the Thompson Center.

we even had a permit in 2010 to march around City Hall-County Building

post-51-0-30246900-1532976252_thumb.jpg

post-51-0-30246900-1532976252_thumb.jpg

Lets not forget 2,000,000 FOID holders at $10 a pop Thats just a paltry $68M (45M + 23M). That is just new apps not taking into account lost card and changed data fees.

Based on fee breakdown only $42M went to Firearm Services (36M + 6M) but not sure what they all do.

What could they possibly find to do with all that once the ISP gets their cut? Hire more staff? Update FOID and CCL systems to match? Improve B.G check process (really...100+ days noprint)

CCL Fee breakdown

Sec. 60. Fees.

(a) All fees collected under this Act shall be deposited as provided in this Section. Application, renewal, and replacement fees shall be non-refundable.

( An applicant for a new license or a renewal shall submit $150 with the application, of which $120 shall be apportioned to the State Police Firearm Services Fund, $20 shall be apportioned to the Mental Health Reporting Fund, and $10 shall be apportioned to the State Crime Laboratory Fund.

© A non-resident applicant for a new license or renewal shall submit $300 with the application, of which $250 shall be apportioned to the State Police Firearm Services Fund, $40 shall be apportioned to the Mental Health Reporting Fund, and $10 shall be apportioned to the State Crime Laboratory Fund.

(d) A licensee requesting a new license in accordance with Section 55 shall submit $75, of which $60 shall be apportioned to the State Police Firearm Services Fund, $5 shall be apportioned to the Mental Health Reporting Fund, and $10 shall be apportioned to the State Crime Laboratory Fund.

FOID Fee breakdown

Sec. 5. The Department of State Police shall either approve or deny all applications within 30 days from the date they are received, and every applicant found qualified under Section 8 of this Act by the Department shall be entitled to a Firearm Owner's Identification Card upon the payment of a $10 fee. Any applicant who is an active duty member of the Armed Forces of the United States, a member of the Illinois National Guard, or a member of the Reserve Forces of the United States is exempt from the application fee. $6 of each fee derived from the issuance of Firearm Owner's Identification Cards, or renewals thereof, shall be deposited in the Wildlife and Fish Fund in the State Treasury; $1 of the fee shall be deposited in the State Police Services Fund and $3 of the fee shall be deposited in the State Police Firearm Services Fund.

Hmmm...

Now you're talking. This

We've done it 3 in times in the past - 2008, 2009 and 2010. SAFR - Second Amendment Freedom Rally in front of the Thompson Center.

I recognize Mark's signs! I didn't know about it, but we should do this event again.

I recognize Mark's signs! I didn't know about it, but we should do this event again.

Make has been with the struggle a long time.

It was great but someone needs to grab the bull by the horns and make it happen. It is a lot of work.

I started this thread with my own rant but it's veering off into activist territory. I don't think that's a bad thing.

I don't know how best to attempt change but I know I hate the way politics work in Illinois. It sure doesn't favor gun owners.

I've lived here 60 years and I love the property I own and live on. I also find myself more and more in discussions with my wife and in my mind about establishing another state residency. I'll take a beating selling a 4br 3 bath house w heated garage/shop on 40 wildlife filled acres but when jelly belly pritzker get elected and the chicommunistas have total control, the taxes will skyrocket as property values plummet.

The only way to change anything is this state is to get rid of madigan and all his henchmen. Until they are all gone (hopefully to jail) nothing will change. Even when we had the courts backing we allowed them to screw us over with this terrible law. We could have done a lot better.

Yes, we could have done a lot better, but we also could have done a lot worse; This is Illinois after all, which is mostly, varying degrees of bad, not limited too, but especially with regard to firearms and firearms laws.

Just renewed my Utah nonresident permit online. Took 5 minutes and cost $25 plus .75 convenience fee. I'll have it in hand in a couple weeks.

Taking my Illinois 3 hour renewal class next month for $60 plus $150 plus any convenience fees etc and they will take another 120 days.

No arrests, no address changes, etc.

Illinois has done NOTHING to improve the processing, we still have to have that damn Foid in addition to the CCW. Non residents forget it. How much has Illinois made in revenue from all this? And they can't even streamline the process or fix the broken parts. Take our money and continue to defecate on law abiding gun owners. We have made no progress since the court order that led to our current CCL.

I hate this state.

Rant over.

I am fairly sure that when I renewed my Utah LTC in 2014 the cost was $12 or so. I'll admit that at $25 it is a bargain compared to Illinois.

Just renewed my Utah nonresident permit online. Took 5 minutes and cost $25 plus .75 convenience fee. I'll have it in hand in a couple weeks.Taking my Illinois 3 hour renewal class next month for $60 plus $150 plus any convenience fees etc and they will take another 120 days.No arrests, no address changes, etc.Illinois has done NOTHING to improve the processing, we still have to have that damn Foid in addition to the CCW. Non residents forget it. How much has Illinois made in revenue from all this? And they can't even streamline the process or fix the broken parts. Take our money and continue to defecate on law abiding gun owners. We have made no progress since the court order that led to our current CCL.I hate this state.Rant over.

I am fairly sure that when I renewed my Utah LTC in 2014 the cost was $12 or so. I'll admit that at $25 it is a bargain compared to Illinois.

They recently increased from 15 to $25

Archived