Johnson vs ISP - IL Supreme Court Rules 7-0 Win for Johnson

Molly B.

Does this mean the questions concerning misdemeanor domestic violence convictions will be removed from the FOID/CCL applications? Will this have any effect on the ATF 4473 form? How can they do this without repealing the Lautenberg amendment?

The issue here is that it was charged as domestic but eventually plead down to simple (non-domestic) battery to avoid the domestic conviction.

Edited by Flynn

Another issue is that the Illinois Supreme Court has recognized the whole civil rights restored does indeed include the right to keep and bear arms. Federal laws/courts recognizes civil rights can be restored by the states. Now Illinois should have a recognized means of restoring civil rights after a domestic misdemeanor conviction.

Does this mean the questions concerning misdemeanor domestic violence convictions will be removed from the FOID/CCL applications? Will this have any effect on the ATF 4473 form? How can they do this without repealing the Lautenberg amendment?

I don't believe it will be entirely stricken from the application. I believe the ilga will add something similar to the others listed, "have you been convicted of a domestic misdemeanor in the past five years?"

And maybe require an appeal to ISP or circuit Court but will recognize/accept the result of the appeal.

• 6 months later...

They need a copy of the revocation/denial letter so if they have not applied for a FOID and received such a letter, they should probably apply first. Filing for a gubernatorial pardon would probably be next. They do not have to wait on the pardon to proceed with petitioning the circuit court in the county where they live. I'll send you a private message.

• Molly B. unpinned this topic